NASA Discovers New Life

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
NASA Discovers New Life

NASA has discovered an all-new form of life in a lake in California, alerting governments around the world to a possible foothold situation that could herald the end of life as we know it!

At a press conference this afternoon, NASA revealed that the cryptic announcement [cryptic announcement from earlier this week] from earlier this week, promising to "impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life," was actually related to a discovery right here on Earth: a microbe called GFAJ-1, an all-new kind of life discovered in Mono Lake in California that substitutes arsenic for phosphorus at the cellular level.

Phosphorus, as a panel of distinguished scientists explained, is one of the six "basic building blocks" of all known life on Earth; it's a "central component of the energy-carrying molecule in all cells (adenosine triphosphate) and also the phospholipids that form all cell membranes." If one of those six basic building blocks is substituted with something else - in this case, arsenic, which "disrupts metabolic pathways because chemically it behaves similarly to phosphate" and is thus poisonous to most life on the planet - it means, simply put, that there's more to life than life as we know it.

"We know that some microbes can breathe arsenic, but what we've found is a microbe doing something new - building parts of itself out of arsenic," said Felisa Wolfe-Simon, a NASA Astrobiology Research Fellow in residence at the U.S. Geological Survey in Menlo Park, California and the research team's lead scientist. "If something here on Earth can do something so unexpected, what else can life do that we haven't seen yet?"

"The definition of life has just expanded," noted NASA's associate administrator for the Science Mission Directorate Ed Weiler. "As we pursue our efforts to seek signs of life in the solar system, we have to think more broadly, more diversely and consider life as we do not know it."

Some commenters have expressed disappointment that NASA didn't have a full-blown, English-speaking alien visitor to present to the world, but Astrobiology Program Director Mary Voytek said the discovery was very much like the classic Star Trek episode "The Devil in the Dark" [http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Devil_in_the_Dark], which introduced the silicon-based life form known as the Horta. "This is a huge deal," she said.

Despite the scientists' enthusiasm and excitement, it's clear that this is also quite possibly a foothold situation, heralding the beginning of the end of human hegemony as the very planet that sustains us is slowly transformed into a hostile, unlivable world. Air pollution? Global warming? Camouflage, my friends. The enemy is already among us.

To learn more about these startling revelations and the beginning of the end of life as we know it, check out NASA.gov [http://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/features/astrobiology_toxic_chemical.html].

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
This + Evolution + wishful thinking = Aliens.

I am very happy.

Calumon: I wonder if they can prove I exist?

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Read this earlier. Now that we know that lifeforms based on other chemicals are possible, methane based lifeforms on Titan seem very possible.

Dec 14, 2009
Goddamn, real life is boring. I understand how important the discovery is, but I was hoping for a chunk of Prothean technology or brain slugs or something...

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Calumon: I wonder if they can prove I exist?
Of course you exist! Your on the internet! and everything on the internet is 1,000% true

OT: It says on the New York Times site that the scientists basically "Trained" the bacteria themselves. Basically they took the normal bacteria then stuck it in an arsenic rich environment, which it adapted to. Still interesting but not as much so :(

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Goddamn, real life is boring. I understand how important the discovery is, but I was hoping for a chunk of Prothean technology or brain slugs or something...
I was also hoping for something else... Not that this isn't interesting, its just, not that mind-blowing as it would be if we discovered something truly alien.

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
wow I was thinking that it might have just been that they fount that guys toolbox (that he let go of while working on the international space station)on a planet and thought that a alien sociality had developed monkey wenches.
but this is good i have biology tomorrow.

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
NERD RAGE!

Horta was a SILICON based life form. A carbon-based life form is nothing to write home about.

SniperMacFox

Suffer not the Flamer to live
Jun 26, 2009
hightide said:
NASA must enjoy trolling.
Indeed, the title of the post being "NASA Discovers New Life" didn't help matters ;P

Still, it is very interesting from a scientific viewpoint, prehaps this discovery could lead to synthetic life that can use carbon monoxide etc. and convert it into cold water. That would solve everything at once!

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
"It's life, Jim, but not as we know it."
Well, this certainly is an interesting bit of news. Now all we need to do is get the space program running properly again so that NASA can confirm their suspicions.

Sep 9, 2010
Fronzel said:
Astrobiology Program Director Mary Voytek said the discovery was very much like the classic Star Trek episode "The Devil in the Dark", which introduced the carbon-based life form known as the Horta.
No, the Horta was silicon-based. Carbon based in normal in our experiance.[/nerd]
I know right? Isn't all sentient life on Earth Carbon base?

TRR

Jul 21, 2008
My astronomy prof, Jaymie Matthews (you may have heard of him), totally called this one. He knew just based on the people working on this that it wasnt going to be about extraterrestrial life.

However, this is no less mindblowing and fascinating.