Solid Snake Voice Actor Clarifies MGS Criticism

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Solid Snake Voice Actor Clarifies MGS Criticism

Solid Snake voice actor David Hayter has penned an open letter in response to a recent 1Up article which claimed he was critical of the Anime Expo [http://www.konami.jp/mgs4/global/index.html] in California.

(Metal Gear Solid 4 spoilers included. You've been warned.)

According to a Solid Snake [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168559], claimed he was frustrated at times with series creator Hideo Kojima's "over-the-top scriptwriting and direction," specifically with regards to the "suicide scene" in which Solid Snake proved unable to kill himself. "I didn't agree with that at all, and I begged them to change it, but I think it's still in the game," Hayter is quoted as saying. "I didn't buy it at all. I think it's weak for Snake to be killing other people and then not be able to kill himself when it's time. If he knows it's time, then it's time."

Hayter also revealed the fact that he had issues with previous Metal Gear Solid games, particularly Snake's relationship with Otacon [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recurring_Metal_Gear_characters#Hal_Emmerich], a supporting character. Hayter said the voice actors had a "tough time" getting through the final, vaguely homoerotic cut scene in Metal Gear Solid, describing the episode as "just humiliating." Despite his criticisms, Hayter did offer praise for Kojima, saying, "I've certainly learned things from him, especially about ambiguity and telling a story without giving all the answers."

But it turns out that much of what Hayter said in the article was either misconstrued or taken out of context, according to a follow-up from the man himself. Hayter sent an open letter [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168629] to 1Up today in which he clarified many of the statements quoted in the article, as well as his own affection for both Hideo Kojima and the Metal Gear Solid franchise. "Reading the article, I got steadily more infuriated," he wrote. "It's not that Mr. (Andrew) Fitch misquoted me, exactly - I don't believe he did that - but the tone of the article seemed to suggest... that I had serious misgivings about Mr. Kojima's artistic choices, or that I was somehow resentful of having to perform them. Nothing could be further from the truth, or a more ridiculous misinterpretation of my true feelings."

"I don't believe I used the word 'frustrated,' and the description of Mr. Kojima's work as being 'over-the-top' is entirely Mr. Fitch's wording, not my own," he continued. "I believe Mr. Kojima to be a true genius, and I regard his artistic choices as sacrosanct and entirely justified in every sense. It is his game, his world, and if he says that Otacon and Snake ride off into the sunset together, then that is the exact, right choice."

Hayter claimed that one of the reasons he avoids many public appearances is his "acerbic" sense of humor, which sometimes leads to him saying things that get taken out of context. He admitted to calling the final Metal Gear Solid scene "humiliating," but claims the statement was made as a joke in light of the unintentional humor of the encounter between Solid Snake and Otacon. "Doing that scene was actually really fun in the booth, and those of us involved in the English voice recording of the games look back on it with great fondness," he said, explaining that the "tough time" was the result of trying to get through the scene with Otacon voice actor Christopher Randolph "without breaking into uncontrollable giggling."

"Look... I am not calling out Mr. Fitch. He wrote a fine article with many valid points," Hayter wrote. "I just felt that the tone of the article might have been a little more inflammatory than the intention of the actual comments themselves. Given my aforementioned acerbic delivery, I take equal responsibility for that interpretation."

"Please read the article and decide for yourself," he added. "You can also watch videotapes of essentially the entire panel on YouTube, hear the exact comments, and again, decide for yourselves as to what my real intentions were."

1Up's original coverage of David Hayter at the Anime Expo is available here [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168559].

Nov 28, 2007
+100 respect points for Hayter for defending himself while not attacking the article writer and calling him out on his statements.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
We have to respect Hayter. I really liked the way he handled the issue, not to mention he also plays MGS and therefore has at least some minor understanding of the games.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Hahaha. I haven't played it yet, don't intend to for a long time, but the idea of David Hayter trying to do the voice acting scene and breaking out in fits of laughter because it's just too gay amuses me greatly.

Human Bomb

Sep 29, 2007
David Hayter is all class all the way. The guy is smart, can obviously write and [voice] act. Kudos to him for being the kind of guy who can read Kotaku and come back with a deft rebuttle instead of turning it into a big forum post war.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Well he's not gonna be in MGS5! ;-)

Well handled, though I'm worried that Hayter's next screenplay is going to turn into one of Kojima's 'all questions few answers stories.'

JaguarWong

Jun 5, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
Well handled, though I'm worried that Hayter's next screenplay is going to turn into one of Kojima's 'all questions few answers stories.'
Questions are ALWAYS more interesting than answers.

I don't play MGS but am also impressed with this guy's class.

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
Who would've thought a guy famous for his pronounciation of 'metlGEEEar' would respond in such a way that those for him AND against him cant really use this as a basis for arguing.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
My bandana goes off to David Hayter.

Because let's face it, some parts of Snake must have rubbed off on him and affected him with a serious case of the badassery.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
"vaguely homoerotic cut scene in Metal Gear Solid"

doesn't vaguely homoerotic cover the entire metal gear series and not just one scene

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
It's way less vague in Peace Walker. I'm pretty sure Big Boss would bat for either team, Hayter sure didn't have any hangups doing the lines for Snake's opinion of a cardboard box built for two.