GT5 Doubles PS3 Sales in Japan

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
GT5 Doubles PS3 Sales in Japan

Gran Turismo 5's release in Japan last week helped more than doubled PS3 sales, but it may not stay the country's top-seller for long.

The long-awaited release of <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Gran-Turismo-5-Playstation-3/dp/B002BSA1C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291406747&sr=8-1>Gran Turismo 5 has been unsurprisingly huge in Japan. Over 430,000 units were sold, including those that happeend to be bundled with a special edition blue PS3.

The game managed to help sell 68,840 PS3 consoles, which is more than double the amount from last week (29,058). However, the PSP still outsold the PS3, even though its sales numbers were down from 96,601 last week to 75,689.

According to GamesIndustry.biz, Gran Turismo 5's position at the top of the charts may be short-lived:

It's unlikely that Gran Turismo's reign at number one will last long, however - yesterday saw the launch of Monster Hunter Portable 3 for the PSP. Huge crowds queued outside many of Japan's electronics retailers, with lines of up to 3000 customers reported outside popular shops.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-12-02-gran-turismo-5-tops-japanese-chart>GamesIndustry.biz

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That's something I'm glad my country doesn't have: Lines infront of game stores whenever a popular title is released.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Evidence, if ever needed, that the Japanese prefer shoving giant swords down a dragon's mouths than driving Ferrari's. Not that I really know what this all means.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Wait monster hunter portable 3 is out? Damn i wish i knew Japanese. Hope the English version comes out soon.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
That's something I'm glad my country doesn't have: Lines infront of game stores whenever a popular title is released.
I dunno. Honestly, I'd like to see that every now and then. It gives me a feeling of...brotherhood, to be with so many people who are excited about the same thing. It's like an event all in itself.

Darkwolf9

Aug 19, 2008
Either way it looks like Sony wins. I'm not sure they care as long as both systems are selling well. You have to admit it's pretty cool when one game doubles the sales of a console. Kudos to Sony.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
The PSP has been selling like hotcakes in Japan lately. Another Monster Hunter is just going to further inflate those sales.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
SomethingAmazing said:
Why are they buying Monster Hunter Portable 3? It's just Monster Hunter Tri with slightly more bosses. And no under water combat. I'd wait until Monster Hunter 4 if you ask me.
Actually no. If you actually read up on MH3 it's the first Monster Hunter game on the PSP that isn't an upgrade to it's console counterpart. It's going to take the good parts of MH:Tri and put them into MH3.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Portable_3rd
The more you know.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Ahlycks said:
Terramax said:
Evidence, if ever needed, that the Japanese prefer shoving giant swords down a dragon's mouths than driving Ferrari's. Not that I really know what this all means.
Dude, it's been forever since I've seen you? Where have you been? (i'll never forget that weird avatar). But, umm, did you get your statement backwards? I'm confused.
Yeah, I'm still around.

No, I didn't get anything the wrong way round. There's nothing the Japanese love more than giant robots or things with swords kicking the utter shit out of monsters :D