Mirror's Edge Details Trickle In

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Mirror's Edge Details Trickle In

New information about Electronic Arts' novel action adventure game Mirror's Edge emerged recently.

An EA event showcased EA Dice's progress with the title, reflected in a new story trailer and screenshots. The game puts you in control of a young woman, Faith, who is fleeing an oppressive regime by leaping across rows of buildings that look like they could have been pulled from the Matrix films.

The game will have a 10 to 12 hour single-player story centering on Faith's quest to free her sister, but no traditional multiplayer is included. The missions will not allow for free-roaming, but numerous paths will be available to complete objectives.

While Faith can wield weapons, she is faster without them and cannot perform close-quarters combat maneuvers while packing heat.

As seen in the trailers, the game has no HUD, but a small reticle will help with aiming and motion sickness.

Warning: Just looking at the screenshot makes me feel woozy and the gameplay video did worse.

Source: Shacknews.com [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53527]

Spleeni

Jul 5, 2008
It looks alot like portal; great fun for the amount of time it lasts, but nothing beyond that.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
I appreciate the "roller coaster" theory of game design. Give the player an intense, albeit short and directed, memorable experience. I'm definitely seeing shades of Portal in this, which I consider to be a good thing.

JaguarWong

Jun 5, 2008
Been following this game for a while now (These details have been up at onmirrorsedge for some time.

It's amazing how people have to find something to relate the game to...

"It's first person but NOT a shooter... MUST BE LIKE BREAKDOWN!!"

and now Portal too.

It looks nothing like either of those games.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
I gotta say, I'm digging this game at this early stage. I like games that try to break the mould, and I guess this would be the first extreme parkour first person game. I just hope it has a story to match the compelling gameplay on offer so far.

You know...something outside the 'OMG TEH GOVERNMENT IS AFTER MEEZ! OH NOES!" kind of thing.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Hey Joe said:
You know...something outside the 'OMG TEH GOVERNMENT IS AFTER MEEZ! OH NOES!" kind of thing.
As far as I can tell, that's the be-all and end-all of the story. I'll wait and see though.

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
10-12 hours and no multiplayer ... ?

But I'll bet they'll still charge $60 for it.

I'll rent it thank-yer-ver-much

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
mGoLos said:
10-12 hours and no multiplayer ... ?

But I'll bet they'll still charge $60 for it.

I'll rent it thank-yer-ver-much
I totally agree, 10-12 hours of single player is not enough to shell out for an entire game. Multiplayer wouldn't work, in my opinion, with this sort of gameplay and they'd need to make the story something really special for me to spend more money than I need to on it.

Was anyone else disappointed by the story trailer?

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
plastic_window said:
Was anyone else disappointed by the story trailer?
I am a bit concerned about the trailer that shows the enemies. The AI seems to be just shy of cardboard; they stand there looking blankly at you as you run toward them, fire off the occasional round, then get beaten down by the protagonist. Let's hope there is time to improve this fault.