PlayStation Phone Video Emerges on YouTube

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
PlayStation Phone Video Emerges on YouTube

The PlayStation Phone is very real, if a YouTube user has anything to say about it.

Video has surfaced of the rumored [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105508-Sony-Ericsson-Exec-Drops-Hints-of-PSP-Phone] PlayStation Phone that apparently proves it currently exists in some form. YouTube user "xxmajstor" somehow got his hands on the device, which looks exactly like it did in previously leaked photos.

Xxmajstor has uploaded two separate videos of the PlayStation Phone in action. One simply shows the device, made by Sony Erricson, whose screen slides up to reveal a D-pad and the trademark X, O, square, and triangle PlayStation buttons used on Sony's DualShock controllers, along with a curiously shaped area in the center that looks like it's used for something too. "L" and "R" buttons are also found on the phone's side, and it's comparable in size to the Apple iPhone and other similar smartphones.

A second video shows xxmajstor clicking on the "PlayStation" icon revealed in the first video. Entering this application brings him into a user interface very similar to the XrossMediaBar (XMB) found in both the Sony PSP and PlayStation 3. There isn't any content in the phone's XMB, but it has buttons for "Recently Played" and "Recently Added" which could refer to games.

If these videos are of an actual device and not some elaborate scam, Sony is definitely preparing an assault on cellphone gaming. When it plans to begin this assault, and with what types of games, is still unknown. The phone at least looks like it'll be able to provide the most accurate level of control to how gamers currently operate gaming consoles and handhelds compared to the purely touchscreen offerings of other cellphone companies.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/03/playstation-phone-zeus-z1-caught-on-video-again-this-time-you/]

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
I dont see this working very well. If people what a cell phone that plays games they are probably just gonna get an Iphone.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
I would definitely be more interested in gaming on this then on an iphone.
definitely a better strategy then just aping what the iphone is doing.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Daemascus said:
I dont see this working very well. If people what a cell phone that plays games they are probably just gonna get an Iphone.
Not necessarily if this is released. The reason people get an iPhine or Android phone is that they're really the only solutions.

If this plays full PSP games, this looks promising

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Daemascus said:
I despise Apple, and so do a lot of people, so no.

I'll be looking into one of these depending if it's real or not, and what the game lineup is like, it most certainly looks real to say the least.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Megacherv said:
Daemascus said:
Not necessarily if this is released. The reason people get an iPhine or Android phone is that they're really the only solutions.

Yea, cause the PSP has such good selection of games...(<sarcasm)

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Daemascus said:
Megacherv said:
Daemascus said:

Hey, all it needs is Persona 3 Portable and Valkyria Chronicles 2 and I'd be happy.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Daemascus said:
Megacherv said:
Daemascus said:

troll.

I can't wait to get my own PSPhone

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Looks cool but just like any other smart phone out there.

They all fall into the 'cool but ultimately pointless' catagory for me.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
You can quote me on this.

This will fail. It looks fugly as hell and is is too clunky.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Well...depending on how they price this and the quality and number of games they get, I might be tempted.

However I suspect they'll get one of the two wrong.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
This is the first time that I actually want a new phone since I bought my last phone 4 years ago. And since my phone is a Sony Ericsson this is even more awesome. I want this to be the real deal and not some scam.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Quiet Stranger said:
Daemascus said:
Megacherv said:
Daemascus said:

troll.

Aint trolling when its true. And I dont see a UMD drive on there so it would have to use the games for the PSPG GO, further limiting the number of games for it. And whats the point of a gaming device with no games?

Kagim

Aug 26, 2009
So far if i ever find a butt load of money laying around and decide to ever replace my phone for something frivolous as a smart phone it would be this one.

tomtom94 said:
Well...depending on how they price this and the quality and number of games they get, I might be tempted.

However I suspect they'll get one of the two wrong.
It has the entire PsP lineup already behind it and will likely be priced as any other smart phone. So there's that.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Daemascus said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daemascus said:
Megacherv said:
Daemascus said:

troll.

Aint trolling when its true. And I dont see a UMD drive on there so it would have to use the games for the PSPG GO, further limiting the number of games for it. And whats the point of a gaming device with no games?
I don't know about you but I'd like to end a phone call with a nice couple of rounds of Peace Walker, (which is available on the Network). Beats playing games that I could play on addictinggames.com.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Daemascus said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Daemascus said:
Megacherv said:
Daemascus said:

troll.

well you can download games, and I'm sure soon they'll have all the PSP games available to download for the PSPGO AND on top of that you can download PSOne classics

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'm inclined to believe this.

I mean, seriously, have Sony ever been good at keeping secrets? PSPGo? Leaked weeks before E3, "worst kept secret of E3", all that jazz.