Diablo III Might Appear on Consoles

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Diablo III Might Appear on Consoles

Diablo III's appearance on consoles is "theoretically possible," a hemming and hawing Blizzard conceded.

"I think it's theoretically possible. It would have some control changes that I think you'd have to make," said the company's VP of game design, Rob Pardo.

Previously, at the official announcement of Diablo III, Blizzard said the game would appear only for the PC and Mac.

But Pardo said Diablo was probably "the one that's most console friendly, for sure."

As a hack and slash clickfest, the game would need considerable tweaking for consoles, Pardo observed. "Target selection is something you're going to lose on console, you're really going to be able to do targeting direction, but not specific targeting."

More and more developers are turning away from PC-exclusive development and to the current generation of consoles as gaming continues to acquire a status of mainstream acceptance.

Source: Eurogamer.net [http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=167023]

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Technically, most games could come to the console. I doubt Blizzard will go through the effort of doing it though, they never made a console game and their market seems to be PC.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
Not true, Diablo 1 was on the PSX, and they probably have a few other handful of games they have released on a console at one time or another.
The combat on the PSX version of Diablo 1, wasn't to bad. The only 'class' that got tricky was the rogue, and that was because of the ranged combat.

I hope blizzard doesn't put it on consoles, As PC does need its 'exclusive titles'.

Though I wouldn't be to sad if it got put on the ps3; but if it were going to consoles it would probably be mult-platform, and unless blizzard were to optimize each game for each console, regardless of any which game looking better then the other in various ways, it would just be another 'crappy port'...

Battle.net might however, work better in conjunction with the PSN then LIVE, kinda like how MGS4 has its own 'network'.
That whole 'free' battle.net, and 'free psn' thing and all... >_>

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
I wouldn't have any problems with D3 on console if done properly and some changes to the cancept would have to be made. However neither PSN or LIVE would be hooked up with Battle.net since the games would be controlled diffirently, also LIVE is the only one where there is a history of pc/console connection.

To be honest the comment sounded like pure speculation, personal musings.

Cpt. Sarcastic

Jul 12, 2008
i hope to god they dont dumb down everything on diablo enough for it to be a console game. a game that started as purely PC should stick with it till the end. i dont want to be playing some multi-system game online and have those annoying 4 year old kids yelling I 0wn3d you n00b while im trying to play the damn game. anyone that thinks this on console is a good idea has to admit they hate those little kids that squeal into the mic about giving himself a blow job every 4 seconds. i do have one question that im not sure about though. seeing as i dont have a ps3 or a wii, i dont know about graphics comparison. do multi platform games have the same graphics each game, or are the (im guessing) ps3s graphics for a game better than say the wiis or the 360s? if they make all the graphics the same, then im not going to buy Diablo 3. while 2 of the game systems have good graphics they dont come close to the computer. diablo 3 is a very dark bloody game, and while ps3 and the 360 have those kids of games, they are still vaguely cartoonish, which ruins the dark horror concept for me. if diablo 3 turns out to look as cartoony as, say, most console games, or WoW, then im going to bludgeon blizzard in the head with their own dismembered limbs until what little bit of brain matter they have falls out, and then im going to make them eat it.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Woah? You mean that people on Battle.Net are more mature then on XBL?

Multiplatform games tend to have minor graphic diffirences, but only minor.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
The Wii might be the easiest port for them to do. Then again, isn't Microsoft bringing out their own motion-sensitive remote? Hmmm... ;-)

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Echolocating said:
The Wii might be the easiest port for them to do. Then again, isn't Microsoft bringing out their own motion-sensitive remote? Hmmm... ;-)
Damn, name one person who could beat the game with a Barb and a motion sensitive controller and not have their arms fall off.

Cpt. Sarcastic

Jul 12, 2008
yes. people on battle.net are usually somewhat more mature because they are older games that a lot of the new generation doesnt know about, and especially with starcraft, the controls for pc are too complicated for for retards, i mean normal people, to figure out, so they stay with console games. the only real problem i find on battle.net is hackers and dickheads. the people that beg for free shit in diablo dont bother me because i just go drop the extra shit i accidentally picked up slaughtering demons. for example, arrows, potions, and keys. this gets them to shut up about free shit. on console you cant do that, all you can do is try and persuade them to shut up, which makes them whine MORE. but i should probably stop complaining about stuff seeing as diablo 3 looks to be a disappointment anyway. the little bit of gameplay i saw makes it look like WoW with the 3rd person omniscent point of view, and being that they have killed diablo and destroyed his soulstone, im having a tough time figuring out how they will bring him back without destroying the point of the second game. and if hes not back, well its not DIABLO is it?

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I hope they don't have it on multiple consoles. Look at Final Fantasy XI. They actually refuse to add anything major in their updates (such as more character faces, playable races, or updates to the HUD or graphics) because the PS2 is such a lofty system.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Echolocating said:
sammyfreak said:
Damn, name one person who could beat the game with a Barb and a motion sensitive controller and not have their arms fall off.
Heh, heh... well then, you'll just have to beef up them girly arms of yours. I've had some Metroid Prime: Corruption marathons and my arms weren't hurting afterwards. Sissy! ;-)

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Cpt. Sarcastic said:
mhmm. calling someone a girl. using the term sissy. metroid. i presume you are either an 8 year old boy, or a girl. though you cant be a girl, because you would insult yourself by saying he has girly arms (you assuming all girls are weak). good job. you have earned the ability to sound like a ****. go masturbate visciously to furries you fag.
I'm 31, a father, and a husband. Sorry if I offended you, but I don't think I crossed any lines.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Echolocating said:
Echolocating said:
sammyfreak said:
Heh, heh... well then, you'll just have to beef up them girly arms of yours. I've had some Metroid Prime: Corruption marathons and my arms weren't hurting afterwards. Sissy! ;-)
Don't you dare question my masculinity! I shall beat thou oer the head with an old Russian book after I finish watching Mamma Mia for the 4th time. ^^

Let's take this outside, McDonalds parkinglot, one Katana each. To the death.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
sammyfreak said:
Don't you dare question my masculinity! I shall beat thou oer the head with an old Russian book after I finish watching Mamma Mia for the 4th time. ^^

Right after my wife gets done beating me up. She has dibs on that kind of stuff.

I cry myself to sleep every night.

;-)

Cpt. Sarcastic

Jul 12, 2008
seeing as this has ceased to be about diablo and has shifted to not-so-Final Fantasy, "sissies" and grown "men" sword fighting, im going to stop posting here.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Echolocating said:
sammyfreak said:

Right after my wife gets done beating me up. She has dibs on that kind of stuff.

I cry myself to sleep every night.

;-)
There there. I warned you when you married that Thurman girl, I did. Exotic Assassins really get edgy at times, but you gotta learn to fight back. If you beat her at Diablo III, what can she do to ya?

GeeDave

Oct 10, 2007
I know folks at the escapist don't like it when people form replies like this, but I'm feeling awfully lazy and have a fair bit to get through:

Cpt. Sarcastic said:
a game that started as purely PC should stick with it till the end. i dont want to be playing some multi-system game online and have those annoying 4 year old kids yelling I 0wn3d you n00b while im trying to play the damn game.
This type of perspective never fails to amaze me, I mean why the hell should it bother you what platforms a game is released on? If you're able to play a game that you want to play because you own the platform it's released on... then that's a good thing, ergo... the more platforms a game is released on, the more people will be able to play it. Also, if the demographic allowed for it, it would make good business sense to release games on a multitude of platforms. I'm sick to death of hearing/reading about fanboys whining on about how their favourite games should be "platform x" specific, and how they've lost respect for "developer x" for "selling out". The more money a good developer makes, the more games they can create... why would anyone, especially those who claim to be fans of the games complain when the developers are seeking a larger scope?

Cpt. Sarcastic said:
diablo 3 is a very dark bloody game, and while ps3 and the 360 have those kids of games, they are still vaguely cartoonish, which ruins the dark horror concept for me.
Oh, so you've played it have you? Or, like everyone else who seems to have a negative opinion on the matter you've simply watched around 20 minutes of game play in 2 areas of the Diablo world? Also, I'd like to point out at this moment that you just said Diablo 3 is a very dark and bloody game... because this is going to come up later. You also seem to be stating that art styles are dependant on platform, the PS3 and 360 have dark and bloody games but are still cartoonish? And so you think that a dark bloody game on the PC would have to be made cartoonish to work on the consoles? Do you think it runs through some kind of filter then? What planet are you living on!?

Cpt. Sarcastic said:
if diablo 3 turns out to look as cartoony as, say, most console games, or WoW, then im going to bludgeon blizzard in the head with their own dismembered limbs until what little bit of brain matter they have falls out, and then im going to make them eat it...

...the little bit of gameplay i saw makes it look like WoW with the 3rd person omniscent point of view, and being that they have killed diablo and destroyed his soulstone, im having a tough time figuring out how they will bring him back without destroying the point of the second game. and if hes not back, well its not DIABLO is it?
This is where I re-use your earlier comment on Diablo 3's art style. You said it was a dark and bloody game... so what's all this about?

For the record, those who are whining on about Diablo 3 looking like WoW need to get their heads checked. I'm sure that some of the WoW development team are/have been working on D3... but for the most part, Blizzard will have a completely different team of artists working on it, which blows the "they've been doing WoW style art for too long" right out of the window. I would love to say more on this matter but most of it has been summed in this nifty little article:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/diablo-hate-internet.php?page=1

And Cpt. Sarcastic, you've been calling console gamers retards in this very thread... and yet you get all pissy at Echolocatings comment? Which to be honest, was quite obviously light hearted humour.

I did have a lot more to say about all of this... but I've come to the conclusion that you'll argue it out with sly little attacks and insults. So i'll just press the post button now, be done with it and be on my merry way.

Emperor Inferno

Jun 5, 2008
As long as there is a Diablo III, and as long as it at least comes out on PC, I'll be happy. It can come out on consoles all it wants, I don't really care. I don't think it will translate well to console, the mouse and keyboard controls work far too well for that kind of game for console controle schemes to even come close to measuring up. Also, the possibilities of size, variety, graphics, and sound is far superior on the PC and all that is central to games like the Diablo games. I don't care if it comes out on console, I just don't think it will be good enough on consoles to even be worthy of being called a Diablo game. There had damn well better be a Diablo III, though, or I'm liable to get pissed.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
You see this is exactly why there is hate for PC gamers, they assume that they are smarter than console gamers. I'm sorry if i don't have some powerful graphics card, or a bigger RAM than your computer, or a faster Motherboard, and i'm oh so sorry that i don't have a mouse and Keyboard for my console to give me a completely unfair advantage over my fellow "console-tards" but the reason why i don't play PC is so i can just pick up a game and play it and not have to worry if i have the right graphics chip or enough cooling fans to keep my PC from melting.

All i hear from PC gamers is that "PC are more powerful than Consoles" and "Mouse+Keyboard > Controler" that's all. I'm sorry if my PS3 can't be as powerful as your PC that can run Crysis on max settings, or if they port Crysis then the PS3 version would have to have dumbed down graphics, but i play my games to have fun with them not gawk at how many fps i can run it or how pretty it looks (IMO Pc graphics look to jaged and square)

And then there are the PC games ported to the consoles and you "PC-tards" say "they dumbed down the controlls for you console-tards". Well OF COURSE they did! How else could they port a PC game to Consoles. Sure, controllers will never beat keyboards and mice, but the whole point of dumbed down controlls is so EVERYONE can pick up and play it and they will not have a need to memorize what every little letter does.

But on to the actual subject, i agree with what sammyfreak said, this is pretty much just speculating and "theorizing" what Diablo 3 would be like on consoles (am i the only one who uses a "3" for Diablo 3 instead of three I's?)