Kinect-Based Helicopter Heralds a Terrifying Robotic Dawn

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Kinect-Based Helicopter Heralds a Terrifying Robotic Dawn

Is this Kinect-driven quadrocopter merely a cool hack, or are we teaching our consoles how to fly around and kill us all?

[gamevideos=700642810001]

Whether or not you like Kinect as a game device, there's no question that it's some pretty cool hardware, and hackers have taken full advantage of that [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105582-Kinect-Hack-Roundup-Robots-Mario-Kart-and-Boobs].

This latest Kinect hack, though - using the device to create a sort of 3D radar attached to a quad-bladed helicopter - is vaguely frightening. Maybe it's the incessant hum, like a swarm of hungry insects. Maybe it's the unnatural bob and weave in midair.

Maybe it's just because it reminds me of a Manhack from Half-Life 2. I think that's probably it.

(1UP [http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/32336])

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
I love it! I want one! Soooo much potential! [sub](So much death >.>)[/sub]

Ah man, if we don't fuck ourselves over the future's going to be crazy awesome tech-wise!

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
At least we know it's weakness, cardboard boxes...

But this is pretty awesome...

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Wow

All the best things for the Kinect have all been done by bedroom programmers.

Now, as I've said before, mixing this with the Move will make a killer commbination, then we could have actual manhacks!

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Hacking other people hardware to make you job easer. Science at its best.

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
Well I for one welcome our new robotic masters. >.>
[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]Please don't kill me Kinect-driven quadrocopter. T^T[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
John Funk said:
Maybe it's just because it reminds me of a Manhack from Half-Life 2. I think that's probably it.

The manhack was the first thing that came to mind. Scary stuff man, scary stuff.

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
Pretty frickin' awesome. Best kinect hack i've seen so far. I may have misjudged kinect, but just imagine all the hacks that would have been possible if the camera wasn't downgraded.... :( .

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Seems like Kinect will have much more use than just games. I bet that US military is already thinking about using it for its unmanned vehicles. More useful sensor, outputting tons of data in a understandable manner (as shown by amount of people using it) , for just 150$ (military cams used for things like that surely cost more).

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Now all we need to do is attach a gun to it and we have a Bioshock copter sentry! :p

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
If they could get a 360 degree sensor, that helicopter's mapping could be superior to anything else that consumers are able to get their hands on.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
If i had one his name would be Carl. He would be Imperial Blue with golden trim.

Carl would patrol my house for intruders, bring my ice cold Dr. Peppers when i was thirsty, and a plate of fritos when i was hungry.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
kouriichi said:
If i had one his name would be Carl. He would be Imperial Blue with golden trim.

Carl would patrol my house for intruders, bring my ice cold Dr. Peppers when i was thirsty, and a plate of fritos when i was hungry.
Imagine a burglar suddenly faced with one of these floating after them, with a recorded soundbyte claiming that they are to blame for the now-imminent destruction of the human race by the cold, metal hands of machines.

I'm terrified now, because the military may eventually build Manhacks, and that is a world I don't want to live in.

I need to practice my crowbar skills.

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
Don't worry, if they do try to take over the world they'll all just rrod and burn themselves out.

Mariuspontmerci

May 24, 2010
Thought this had to do with a whole different type of helicopter. The kind referenced by Stepto in his Book of Enforement.