Blizzard: Retail Offers Things Digital Simply Can't

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Blizzard: Retail Offers Things Digital Simply Can't

Digital distribution may be convenient, says Blizzard big-shot Frank Peace, but there are some things it will never be able to do.

With the rise of online delivery services like Valve's Steam, digital distribution is seen by many to be the wave of the future when it comes to how PC gamers purchase their games. PC giant Blizzard has been at the forefront of online gaming since the release of Diablo and its Battle.net service in 1997 - and a little game called WoW in 2004 - and combined with its new digital-distribution friendly [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104662-Buying-From-Blizzard-is-Quickest-Way-to-Play-Cataclysm] Battle.net, you'd think Blizzard would be all about this digital future, right?

Yes and no. Speaking with Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31881/Interview_Blizzard_CoFounder_Pearce_On_World_Of_Warcraft_Cataclysms_Reboot.php], Blizzard co-founder and executive vice president Frank Pearce said that while the Irvine-based developer was on board the digital train, it could never replace retail entirely.

"Retail has things to offer that we can't offer digitally - like the collector's edition, which is always popular with our very passionate fans," says Pierce. "We're also planning midnight launches for the game at retail around the globe with our developers in attendance and signing autographs. You can't get that experience through the digital purchase."

Blizzard has traditionally done some is no exception [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99804-StarCraft-II-Collectors-Edition-Revealed]. I'd be quite sad to see them go away entirely, so I can't say I disagree with Mr. Pearce here at all.

For more reasons why digital distribution will never completely stamp out retail, check out the latest Experienced Points [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/8395-Experienced-Points-The-Future-is-Still-Retail]. Or, <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/2525-World-of-Warcraft-Cataclysm-Unboxing
">check out our dissection of the (very nice) Cataclysm collector's edition.

(Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31881/Interview_Blizzard_CoFounder_Pearce_On_World_Of_Warcraft_Cataclysms_Reboot.php])

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
I'll always prefer retail over digital. I like to keep my collection of my favorite games on my shelf, kind of like a trophy. Also, you just can't beat that new game smell!

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
"Very passionate fans" being PC speak for "quivering addicts"

Okay, okay. I won't rip on them for that - i play WoW myself, after all. But the guys who can afford to shell out for Collector's Editions do so because they're going to pay double the amount regardless of the content - damnit, they've got to show their support and have that super rare pet!

Midnight launch events aren't something that last. It's a one time no-holds-barred publicity event, and it's seriously beneficial for a company to spend a little time and money on it in order to generate insane hype and make the sales really skyrocket in the first week of release.

The man is right; digital distribution isn't the same as retail, but he's thinking about the beneficiary of the company, not the consumer. Retail releases bring press, legions of fans and generates incredible amounts of hype, which in turn translate into sales. It's not convenient for the average consumer. The 'non-passionate' fans would rather sit comfortably at home, spending less on a digital download, and download the game two days prior to launch so they can play it immediately.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
"Retail has things to offer that we can't offer digitally - like the collector's edition
Bioware, Bethesda and CD Projekt may have a few words to say about that statement.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Three things I disagree with Blizzard about in that article:

1) Digital offers better prices; I've seen more new games discounted through digital stores than retail. You also have cheaper prices for older games, especially on the PC market... assuming you can actually find a store selling an old, maybe used PC game, it's still going to be cheaper through digital.

2) Midnight releases. Yes, I love freezing my butt off waiting in line outside a game store just to pick up a game. I can't remember the last time a store made an actual event out of a midnight release, rather than treating it like another business day (except that the clerks get the terrible night shift).

3) Collector's editions. This is my biggest gripe: if you want to compete with digital, include extra stuff in all the retail copies! I remember games giving you all kinds of bonus stuff like posters and cloth maps just for picking up the regular store box, and that was well before the idea of digital distribution had legs. As it stands now, the only advantage retail has over digital is having a physical disc of the game and maybe a manual if you're lucky. Make your collector's editions cost as much as the normal digital copy and you might finally have an edge.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Delusibeta said:
"Retail has things to offer that we can't offer digitally - like the collector's edition
Bioware, Bethesda and CD Projekt may have a few words to say about that statement.
Did Bethesda email you your Fallout 3 lunchbox?

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
I myself am getting the collector's edition of Cataclysm. Personally, i much prefer having a game box on my shelf than data on my computer, though i will download their older games like Diablo 2.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
Collectors editions... not to mention strategy guides, toys, accessories, and misc. collectibles all right there perfect for an impulse buy when they're picking up the game. Heck, I almost bought a strategy guide when picking up new vegas (a collectors edition of all things!) before the fact that I had a limited amount of money brought me to my senses.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Irridium said:
Nothing beats that new game smell.

You can't smell a download. I think.
Sure you can! It smells like magnetism and copper wire!

I'm keeping all the sound down just so I can hear them knock on my door when they deliver my Collector's Edition (hopefully today!) I love working from home!

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
John Funk said:
Delusibeta said:
Nope, but they did send a copy of All Roads. [http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/9895/product/Buy-Fallout-New-Vegas-Digital-Collector%27s-Edition-Download]

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
John Funk said:
Delusibeta said:
How ever whats to stop them from letting you download your copy and then receive your lunch box 2 days later in the mail?

I personally don't buy collector editions 1) because I think they are insanely overpriced (although the MW2 night vision goggles made a strong case for it as much of an abortion that game was) 2) I'm lazy as shit and I also like playing some games on the hour they are released (cata would be one of them). 3) Digital offers much more, you can pre-install, pre-patch, save money on gas and dealing with screaming children.

I think digital will eventually replace retail for all but the most casual(those who don't really understand how the internet works) and extreme gamers (those who want to pay for the extras). There are no tangible benefits for consumers unless you like the mid night releases (and I know many do, not a knock on them) but at least from my experiences most would rather type in the number and have their game delivered and patched over 10 minutes then driving to the store and waiting in line for 3 hours.

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
I often get the feeling that the Escapist so fervently defends the persistence of physical copies of games simply because the writers and editors themselves are fond of retail games, not because of any in-depth analyses of the longevity of physical game sales (because such analyses almost inevitably points towards the demise of physical games sales as a common method of delivering game content).

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
You can keep your crappy trinkets.

I'll take the lower price and convenience. Cheers.
Yes, to me, the feeling that a game is mine forevah, always available online (as "always" as something on the internet ever gets, which is still far more enduring than the transience of DVDs and cardboard), produces a far more satisfying sensation of ownership than a physical copy.

John Funk said:
"Retail has things to offer that we can't offer digitally - like the collector's edition, which is always popular with our very passionate fans," says Pierce.
This is just about the only argument left. Which, of course, will work out nicely. The vast majority of game sales will be digital, and collector's editions will probably be one of the very few instances of physical game sales left.

John Funk said:
"We're also planning midnight launches for the game at retail around the globe with our developers in attendance and signing autographs. You can't get that experience through the digital purchase."
Ah, because meeting the devs at midnight, getting autographs, and generally having a targeted and personal experience can ONLY be fun with a copy of the game in your hand?

Perhaps the devs' pride will not allow them to attend such events if they can not count the dollar income by looking at all the sold game boxes. Just like rockstars refuse to show themselves at ANY event where their music is not being sold physically, and those sales are the main focus of the event. You know, live concerts, press releases, autograph signings... uhm, wait...

It seems like the gaming business has been blinded into believing that the physical game copy is the WHOLE of the experience.

Arenari

Servant of Marvin the Martian
Nov 20, 2009
SilentHunter7 said:
I'll always prefer retail over digital. I like to keep my collection of my favorite games on my shelf, kind of like a trophy.
I must agree with this fully. In my mind, having a tangible copy of your favorite game by your favorite developer shows your dedication and appreciation for their work.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Ayjona said:
I often get the feeling that the Escapist so fervently defends the persistence of physical copies of game simply because the writers and editors themselves are fond of retail games, not because of any in-depth analyses of the longevity of physical game sales (because such analyses almost inevitably points towards the demise of physical games sales as a common method of delivering game content).
Mm? We like both. We always have. I don't want to see retail go away entirely, but my steam list would definitely disagree with the assumption that I don't like digital.