Question of the Day: December 8, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day: December 8, 2010

Yesterday, we took a look at the Collector's Edition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/2525-World-of-Warcraft-Cataclysm-Unboxing] of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm and judged it to be "pretty darn cool." How do you feel about collector's editions?

Susano

Dec 25, 2008
I've never bought any, so maybe I'm not the best judge, but it seems like a lot of them are just shelling out an extra ?10 or more to get very little in return.
Like the Fallout 3 collectors edition, you get a vault-boy bobblehead, a lunch box, and The Art and Making Of Fallout 3. The art and making of is usually what you would get, and I'm not really into that sort of stuff, so it wouldn't be worth it for me.

Jul 22, 2009
I absolutely love them. Especially when they come with insanely cool things + extra content.

I also like the art books too... they're fun to leaf through every now and then.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Eh, collectors editions.
If they are available, and they don't have a stupid price tag, and actually have something making them worth buying, then sure, I might buy them.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
If they are done well, I have no issue with them. Heck, even if they aren't done well you always have the decision of simply not buying that edition and just going with the standard version.

Mar 30, 2010
It depends on the game, the extras you get with the collector's edition, and the price. If I'm only gonna get a few relatively useless peripherals (Fallout 3 for example: there's not much need in my life for a Vault-Tec bobblehead) I'll pass. If the extras are a little bit more enticing (Doom 3 came with copies of Dooms 1&2 on the disc as well) then I'll fork over the extra cash.

On the other hand, collector's edition DVDs always grab my attention. I suppose that's because a collector's edition DVD costs a couple of quid more than the vanilla DVD, whereas with games you're looking at an extra fifteen or twenty quid which really does need substantial justification.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
I've had a few. The only one I really loved was my Fallout 3 one with the lunchbox and bobblehead. In general I don't care for them that much

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
They have to be unique I reckon, not like the 'EA Specials' as I nicknamed them where you just get DLC earlier or in Medal of Honour and Bad Company 2's case, guns which you unlock after a few hours of playing.

Dead Rising 2's was good. I mean how often do you get pen syringes and a blister pack case?

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
Collectors/limited editions are for collectors or people with plenty of money to waste. It's the same game with promo material, which they get more or less free with every game in Japan. We get trading cards a hardened case or virtual codes for this or that. Nothing really tangible with the exception of the last 2 COD games; IR goggles and an RC car. Give me something really worthwhile rather than junk and make the "special" editions truly special.

Note: something special means something that only I can have because I bought this edition. Not give me something 30 days ahead of everyone else that can get it cheaper as DLC.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
They're quite nice, especially if done well. I like them.

Woem

May 28, 2009
I like them, if they provide some in-game extras. For example the Baldur's Gate II Collector 's edition contained two new merchants, Deidre and Joluv. They sell an assortment of nice items inspired by the Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment games.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I love them if they aren't a rip off. I've bought a lot of CE of games that I am looking forward to. Games that do it right are worth it. I have the ME2 CE, Halo Wars CE, Gears 2 CE, Halo 3 Legendary Edition, Fallout New Vegas CE, and I've had more in the past. The Gears 2 and Halo Wars collector's editions weren't really worth the money to me (though I still think the Halo Wars Collector's edition metal case is the best I've even seen). The rest were worth it to me.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
In my opinion, a good majority of them are way too overpriced. Over $100 for the game and other stuff I'll probably only use once, if ever? No thank you.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Well, I got raped on the Collectors edition of Naruto Ultimate Ninaja Storm. Stupid metal case.

It was 69.99 the regular game was 29.99, I still bought it. Came with a collectible cell of Demon Naruto battling Curse Mark 2 Sasuke, Demon Naruto trading card, the awesome metal case and the entire music for the game on a CD.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
I will definitely buy the special edition on a few basic conditions, usually:

* It's a game I know I'm definitely going to like anyway (FF13 for example)
* It comes with something unique or awesome, that isn't just like stickers, but something that attracts to me as having value
* It comes in a most awesome box

I'm easily marketed to, so I tend to be interested in at least looking at the special editions, but if it's a game I'm not sold on then it's not going to make it to the till.