Universal Music Shoots Down 8-Bit DJ Hero De-Make

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Universal Music Shoots Down 8-Bit DJ Hero De-Make

Universal Music Publishing Group has served "8-bit de-maker" Eric Ruth with a cease-and-desist letter over Pixel Force DJ Hero, his take on the 2009 Activision release DJ Hero [http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-DJ-Hero-Bundle-Turntable/dp/B0028ZNX68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291772224&sr=8-1].

If the name "Eric Ruth" rings a bell, it's probably because you remember him from the Left 4 Dead "de-make" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97251-Shoot-8-Bit-Zombies-in-Left-4-Dead-De-Make-Today] He released in January. He said at the time that he wanted to put out a series of 8-bit-style de-makes of current-gen titles under the Pixel Force name, but his latest step in that plan has run into a bit of a legal speed bump.

One of the more awesome aspects of Ruth's game is the chiptune mashups of 80s icons like Dead or Alive, Siouxie and the Banshees, INXS and Ray Parker Jr., but that's also what attracted the attention of one Jerrold Grannis, a manager at Universal Music Publishing Group [http://www.umusicpub.com/]. Grannis contacted Ruth and asked him to provide a "valid license" to use the various pieces of music in his game; Ruth wrote back and said he didn't have the licenses but noted that he was not charging for the game and hoped that the matter wouldn't end with a formal request to pull it.

You can probably guess what happened next.

"Under U.S. law, it doesn't matter whether the content is provided free to end user or for a charge. What matters is that content was distributed without the copyright holders express permission," Grannis wrote in an exchange posted on Piki Geek [http://blog.pikimal.com/geek/2010/12/06/8-bit-dj-hero-gets-a-cd/]. "Further, I note that by 'mashing-up' multiple copyrights, you are making fundamental changes to the music that may be considered derivative works." He demanded that the game be removed immediately and that Ruth provide "metrics" on the number of copies that were distributed.

Ruth, to his immense credit, went above and beyond the call of civility in his response. He agreed to take it down but explained that with the number of mirror sites and possible torrents hosting it, he had no way to tell how many times the game had been downloaded. He told Grannis that he felt the C&D was "a dick move" by a huge, over-moneyed corporation, but added that although "it blows," he didn't take it personally because he knew Grannis was just doing his job. "Personally, I wish you all the best and hope your holidays are pretty rad," he concluded. "Send my best to the Grannis family."

Grannis got the last word in the exchange. "U.S. law is U.S law," he wrote. "If you think 'it blows,' write your Congressman." But he may also be getting a first-hand lesson in the "Streisand Effect [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect]" as gamers who previously either didn't know or didn't care about the game are now making a point of sharing links and spreading the word. "I hadn't heard of 8-Bit DJ Hero until this story," one Piki Geek commenter wrote. "Downloading now."

In an amusing twist, the FAQ included with the game includes the question, "Is Activision gonna sue you?" to which Ruth replies, "God, I hope not."

Fortunately, it doesn't sound as though this copyright mess will have any immediate impact on Ruth's next project, Pixel Force: Halo. He told Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/07/eric-ruths-8-bit-dj-hero-remake-removed-thanks-to-universal-mus/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fjoystiq+%28Joystiq%29] that work on the game is "well underway" and will hopefully be out sometime in January 2011.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
"THIS IS THE FUN POLICE. PLEASE STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING A DROP ANY FUN THAT YOU ARE CARRYING ON YOUR PERSON."

Yeah, why does copyright law have to be such a killjoy?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
"US Law is US law, beep bop gnork gnork"

Translates from lawyer speak to,

"I don't understand what the fuck your doing, but I hate you, tra la la la la"

Idiot ass copywrite lawyers.

ENJOY THE TASTE OF YOUR NEWEST PR SNAFU.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Wow, what utter killjoys there. I've gotta try that game... (Streisand effect at work!)

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I don't get it, he's not making a profit on it, he's not stealing any money from anyone.

But, copyright laws and the people who enforce them probably just exist to shut down awesome stuff like this... and suck the fun out of life.

Analogy

Jan 12, 2010
Dear corporations and lawyers: Just because the law lets you do certain things don't mean you have to do them. If you want to actually survive the next 20 years, you might want to start looking at the direction that our culture is taking with regard to intellectual property, and ride with it rather than trying to stifle it. Your corporation may be large and powerful, and it might have the law on its side, but cultural movements are bigger than the law, and bigger than you.

Oh yeah, and "if you don't like the law, write your congressman"? Oh, you mean you want me to write the congressman that you bought to try to get him to overturn a law that you bought? Yeah fucking right. It's been decades since our government has actually acted for the benefit of its citizens against the corporations that fund their elections.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Aw man, that totally blows. It's sad to see something so well done, crushed in its prime. You'd think there'd be some leeway on using old, "8 bit" music on a non-profit program.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fronzel said:
This just in; businessmen and their lawyers are the cold-hearted enemies of art they don't control.[/slowpoke]
They do control the art. The art this guy illegally used in his game. He has the freedom to make his games as art. That freedom ends when using someone else's art. I'm missing why this is so horrible. Surely this guy knew that Universal and other labels would not stand for this anyway, and surely he knew this is against the law.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
They do control the art. The art this guy illegally used in his game. He has the freedom to make his games as art. That freedom ends when using someone else's art. I'm missing why this is so horrible. Surely this guy knew that Universal and other labels would not stand for this anyway, and surely he knew this is against the law.
Then that lawyer had better start going after every schmuck on youtube that creates AMV's, picture mash-ups, and come to think of it most of the stuff that's on youtube set to music.

I respect that the lawyer is well within his rights to do this, but what does it accomplish for him? The glee of adding another notch to his belt for hosing the fun of yet another nameless person? Yeah cause let me tell you this guy was seriously going to cut into the profit margin by taking 8-bit versions of 80's music and attaching them to a relatively unknown fan project.

GG Mr.Lawyer, the industry of 8-bit 80's music lives to make money another day.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Ok, I'm not getting DJ Hero then. Additionally, I'm gonna hunt down that 8-bit version. Streisand Effect ftw!
Also, dear lawyers: you are a cancer on society, and kindly die. Or better yet, would you jump off a building if I promised to give you a million dollar and to light kittens on fire?

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
"US Law is US law, beep bop gnork gnork"

Translates from lawyer speak to,

"I don't understand what the fuck your doing, but I hate you, tra la la la la"

Idiot ass copywrite lawyers.

ENJOY THE TASTE OF YOUR NEWEST PR SNAFU.
Calm down. His response was perfectly reasonable.

How about a murderer who considers himself an artist? Perhaps paints with his victim's blood. If he gets caught and cries out "I am creating art!" And it is responded by "The law is the law, you can't murder people." Is that being an idiot ass lawyer?

That being said, I disagree with this action and I do think they making a mistake, but I think the automatic reaction of pretending that they're not real people or that they're somehow retarded for following the law is ridiculous.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Good ol' Activision, whenever someone does something innovative they swing the Copyright hammer until all the thumbs, and digits mistaken for thumbs, are a bloody mess.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Hexenwolf said:
How about a murderer who considers himself an artist? Perhaps paints with his victim's blood. If he gets caught and cries out "I am creating art!" And it is responded by "The law is the law, you can't murder people." Is that being an idiot ass lawyer?
What an absolutely ridiculous arguement... Hope you didn't spend too much time on that.

@ everyone else.... really? you didn't see this coming?

Anyway until you all decide to actually get involved not one of you deserves a voice in this matter.

It's universal for god's sake.. you want to hurt them, or send them a message, then practice some restrain.

Buying music.. DON'T buy anything from any of Universal's 'artists'. If you are buying a game.. DON'T buy one that says Vivendi or Universal. Going to the movies.. DON'T pay to see one by Universal or any their shell studios. Simple.... but none of you will actually 'deprive' yourselves of their shiny, bright, distracting for an hour crap, so none of you actually deserve to moan about it.

Shit, or get off the pot.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
KeyMaster45 makes a good point. I'm not too in depth with how copyright laws work, but considering this is completely non-profit it seems like a ridiculous idea. Hell, I didn't even know about this game (downloading now by the way.) What bugs me is how pointless this is, DJ Hero actually looks like a fun game. I'm going to want to play the normal sounding version, with the shiny graphics. 8-bit is fun, but I would love to pretend DJ scratch a Daft Punk song than a crappier 8-bit version.

Besides, if I wanted that I would just DJ scratch the Kanye West remix of Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fronzel said:
This just in; businessmen and their lawyers are the cold-hearted enemies of art they don't control.[/slowpoke]
Overprotecting art is just as bad as under-protecting it. On one hand, he never claimed to own this music. He credited the names of the songs to their rightful owners, even though he went to the work of remaking them in 8-Bit AND mashing them together. He also didn't plan to make a profit from it.

So, what is it that Universal has to gain by going after him? Licenses are prohibitively expensive, so he wouldn't have been able to get them anyway. And since they made such a big deal out of it, the game is probably going to get much more popular than it ever would have before. All they've done is wasted a bit of their money and bought a bunch of negative PR because of it.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
I think there is easily an argument made against the statement, "Further, I note that by 'mashing-up' multiple copyrights, you are making fundamental changes to the music that may be considered derivative works."
It's not as if he is taking the original works and distributing them for free. The point of that copyright law is to keep people from plagiarizing and making money off that work.
It's not as if people are going to go "holy shit, check out this 8-bit version...why would you listen to the real thing?" If anything it'll get people interested in the real version of the song...and for that matter the ACTUAL FUCKING GAME that didn't do that great and needs all the (positive) publicity it can get.

If that was truly an issue, we wouldn't see any amateur musician on youtube playing their covers or mashups or whatever, as it would be far too damaging to the real thing.