Iron Man 3 Plot Depends on Other Marvel Movies, Says Director

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Iron Man 3 Plot Depends on Other Marvel Movies, Says Director

Scripts are just guidelines for Marvel movies, says Iron Man director Jon Favreau, so planning for the future is hard.

Favreau says that the plot of the third instalment will depend on the events of the Thor, Captain America and Avengers movies. There's a snag though, as Favreau doesn't know what those events actually are.

What's more, he isn't sure if the directors of those movies are entirely sure what will happen either. Favreau said that he'd had conversations with Kenneth Brannagh and Joss Whedon, directors of Thor and The Avengers movies respectively, about where their movies might be going, but admitted that the way that Marvel made films made it hard to know exactly what was going on until a project was finished. "The script is one thing," Favreau said, "but when you actually see what you land on at the editing room - especially with Marvel where they film, cut, film some more and shape the film - you really learn as you go."

Favreau has previously expressed an interest in making Iron Man's long-time comic book foe, the Mandarin, the villain in Iron Man 3, but said that he couldn't even guess where the story would actually end up. This is assuming that Favreau actually gets to direct the movie, as Marvel is rumored to be unwilling to pay for his talents anymore, favoring cheaper talent instead.

Iron Man 3 is currently scheduled to hit theaters on May 13th, 2013. Who will be in it, and what it will be about, however, is a mystery.

Source: MTV [http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/12/06/iron-man-3-jon-favreau-avengers/]

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Ultron. Nuff said.

Edit:
What makes sense to me in using this character is that we've been seeing people trying to use better suits than Stark. Well, what if the suit was trying to be better than Stark? And before anyone says "The Terminator," Ultron came first (not that it would matter to the movie-going public).

Apr 17, 2009
It's nice to know that the directors from these different movie are actually talking with each other and trying to prevent unnecessary continuity snarls

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Marvel is rumored to be unwilling to pay for his talents anymore, favoring cheaper talent instead.
Yes, because swapping for cheaper directors worked so well for X-Men and the 80s/90s Batman movies.

The Ironman movies have made Disney/Marvel more money they could dream of. They'd be idiots to risk it all.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Hmm, I suspect this many conditions being imposed on the Iron Man 3 script are going to make it the worst super-hero movie since, well, ever. Hope I'm wrong but it doesn't look promising.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Oh dear lord. The man makes two very watchable (and profitable) superhero movies and they might axe him because he charges what he's worth? Why not ditch Robert Downey Jr. and put Mark Wahlberg in his place while your at it?

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
008Zulu said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Marvel is rumored to be unwilling to pay for his talents anymore, favoring cheaper talent instead.
Yes, because swapping for cheaper directors worked so well for X-Men and the 80s/90s Batman movies.

The Ironman movies have made Disney/Marvel more money they could dream of. They'd be idiots to risk it all.
It's more than that, it's the way that Favreau and Downey work together. They work from an outline script with the bullet points and then start improving and shaping the scenes naturally. That's why so many of Tony's offhand toss aside comments work and don't sound forced. You pull half of that out and the chemistry fizzles.

And if money's the issue, that might risk Downey as well. Aren't those twins from "Sweet Life" still on contract to Disney? There's your new Iron Men.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So Marvel wants even cheaper talent than Jon Favreau?

Good God, if Iron Man 2 was this bad under Favreau's direction, I can't imagine what the third movie will be like with an even cheaper director.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
If they want to continue with this combined movie universe idea, I would say the best course of action would be to implement the Armor Wars storyline.

Someone or something (sentient computer virus perhaps) hacked Jarvis and got Tony's files. He then sells them to the highest bidder and that includes the cold war favorites: Russia, China, North Korea, etc. Tony tries to do it legally, but when that fails, he goes after them. Much like the original armor wars, he goes after everyone he suspects violated his intellectual property.

This makes Tony his own worse enemy, a thread that is continued from the last 2 movies.

This will also allow cameos from other Avengers.

[zonking great]

Aug 20, 2008
I love this news. A unified whole is so much more satisfying than all these stand alone things.
Does this open the door to Marvel Zombies? :B Or better yet...ARMY OF DARKNESS VS MARVEL ZOMBIES? Please? :)

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Jbird said:
What makes sense to me in using this character is that we've been seeing people trying to use better suits than Stark. Well, what if the suit was trying to be better than Stark? And before anyone says "The Terminator," Ultron came first (not that it would matter to the movie-going public).
There was an arc like that in the Iron Man comics, but I haven't read it. The suit essentially became too smart for him to handle, most of the time with him inside it. Avengers 2 plot, anyone?

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Sparrow said:
Jbird said:
There was an arc like that in the Iron Man comics, but I haven't read it. The suit essentially became too smart for him to handle, most of the time with him inside it. Avengers 2 plot, anyone?
Let's just hope we don't see that plotline of the first arc from Mighty Avengers being adapted to film. I don't think a Robert Downey, Jr. with girl parts will bode well.

Spoilers for a three-year-old story:
Ultron infects and takes over Tony's suit and systems (this being a time when he had nanomachines and stuff), and morphs his body into the likeness of Janet Van Dyne, the former Wasp.

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
I was really bummed when I saw Iron Man 2.
Marvel opted for references to their upcoming franchise films instead of allowing Favreau to continue his planned Mandarin/Demon in a Bottle arch.
There were hints of it here and there, but overall it was really disappointing.
Don't get me wrong, it was a great movie, but the expectations I had after the first just weren't met.

The way I see it, Thor and Captain America will both have plenty of references to each other, Iron Man, Hulk, and other properties Marvel is prepping for either major or small movie releases.

Avengers will come out and somehow manage to tie everything together in some almost-doesn't-make-sense-but-hey-these-movies-are-based-on-60s-comic-book-characters-so-what-can-you-do kind of way, will be financially successful, but critically, only okay.

And then (or during) Marvel will come to Favreau for Iron Man 3 and say hey, want to help us clean up some of this narrative-continuity mess we made?

And I'm guess by that time (2013) Favreau will have bigger and better things to do than work for a studio that gave him initial creative support only to rip control away from him for the sake of their grand "shared cinematic universe" plan.

All these films I'm sure will be great. I have complete faith in Marvel Studios to treat their own properties with the time and respect they deserve after seeing what studios like Fox and Sony have done to make quick, half-assed cash-ins on established franchises.

I can't just see a guy like Favreau, a director on the rise and a great translator of page-to-screen, fitting himself into a studio's creative rules and timetables for the sake of salvaging a story arc that has already been more or less abandoned.

He's said that he'll always be proud of and grateful for the Iron Man films for doing so much for his career, and to the studio for supporting his vision, but I'm sure the guy doesn't have a close enough relationship to Ol' Buckethead to go back to them after a three year hiatus in which other characters have had time to force their way into his design.

That is unless of course Downey refuses to it without him. Which I'm sure he won't. RDJ will do anything that has a tight enough crew, a good enough script, and a high enough paycheck. The guy's a phenomenal actor, but he knows it, and he's not the kind to do it for any less pay than he wants for the sake of sentimentality or loyalty.