SNK Unleashing Fury of NeoGeo Games on PS3 and PSP

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
SNK Unleashing Fury of NeoGeo Games on PS3 and PSP

NeoGeo games are coming to the PSN with online play at a fraction of the price they once demanded.

SNK Playmore USA has announced that it wants to make your PlayStation 3 and PSP just like a NeoGeo arcade unit, but better. With the release of the NeoGeo Station on the PlayStation Network on December 21, 2010, the company will put 10 classic NeoGeo titles at gamers' fingertips and has plans for even more in the future.

Nostalgia is the guiding factor here, because unlike other digital releases the games on the NeoGeo Station will be presented with "arcade perfect emulation," meaning exactly as they once were on the greasy machine at the mall. Thankfully, now you can play these games at home without having to pay $650 for a NeoGeo and $200 per game.

The NeoGeo Station will retain that arcade feel through online multiplayer support on the PlayStation 3, in both versus and co-op modes, while the PSP will support wireless ad-hoc for these features. It'll also add voice chat support, friend invites, a replay mode, and the ability to use save states.

The games to be released on December 21 on the PS3 (with some coming later on the PSP) are a good start for the service, including Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Samurai Showdown, Alpha Mission II, King of Fighters '94, Baseball Stars Professional, Magician Lord, Metal Slug, League Bowling, and Super Sidekicks. Each game will be priced at $8.99 for the PS3 and $6.99 for the PSP. If you think those prices are high, I'll just point back to the cost of NeoGeo titles in 1990.

In coming updates, SNK says it'll be adding titles that have never been localized before in addition to more titles the U.S. has already seen. Though it may have been expensive to own a NeoGeo, it was a significant part of gaming's history and can now be experienced in its original form again, man-sized fireballs and all.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Actually there is one down side, none of these titles are coming to Xbox Live Arcade, I really want to play the first Metal Slug!!!

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Sweet! The first metal slug and other awesome titles!

I know what i am getting for christmas.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
Quiet Stranger said:
Actually there is one down side, none of these titles are coming to Xbox Live Arcade, I really want to play the first Metal Slug!!!
It's only a downside if you don't own a PS3.

At least now I won't have to drop a pretty penny for a Neo Geo when I can just get this.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Magician Lord! Finally, my 13-year-old self will be avenged for the $10 in quarters that game stole from my friend and I without showing us the ending!

In all honesty, although many SNK games were just sprite substitutions of each other, and half of them were clones of Street Fighter or Contra, they were some of my favourite arcade games in the early 90s, so this is welcome news.

Mar 26, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
I could have sworn there is a Metal Slug and Samurai Showdown game already on XBLA; but probably not the originals.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Interesting.

But what is with these incredibly biased reports?

The Wii virtual console has had Neo Geo games on it for quite a while already. I count 28 of them, in a quick check.

So, does that not count, somehow? Because to my knowledge virtual console games on the Wii pretty much replicate the original state of the games in question...

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Quiet Stranger said:
I could have sworn there is a Metal Slug and Samurai Showdown game already on XBLA; but probably not the originals.

There is Metal Slug 3 and Metal Slug XX but not the first Metal Slug, I'd like to play that one

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
@Quiet Stranger
Should have gotten a PS3. At least you still have Kinect, right?

@CrystalShadow
It doesn't count because it's Wii.

YYYYYEEEEEEAAAAA METAL SLUG!!!