Judge Dismisses 86 Percent of U.S. Copyright Group Lawsuits

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Judge Dismisses 86 Percent of U.S. Copyright Group Lawsuits

A U.S. federal judge has dismissed 86 percent of the U.S. Copyright Group's lawsuits against The Steam Experiment [http://www.amazon.com/Far-Cry-Til-Schweiger/dp/B002IW8V2C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1291825201&sr=1-1] file sharers, and there may be more to come.

We had an summed up [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105651-Copyright-Lawyers-Sue-Lawyer-Who-Helped-Copyright-Defendants] the whole affair rather nicely, I think, when he said, "It looks like the copyright lawyers forgot about personal jurisdiction when they filed, and are now getting their teeth kicked in."

It sure looks that way. The USCG filed lawsuits against 6230 people accused of sharing the films Far Cry and The Steam Experiment based on nothing but IP addresses, then asked Judge Rosemary Collyer for five years - five years! - to figure out who among them the court had jurisdiction over, which is to say, who they could actually sue. The judge, however, decided that was a bit much and gave the USCG and its law firm of Dunlap, Grubb and Weaver until December 6 [http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/11/put-up-or-shut-up-time-for-us-copyright-group.ars] instead.

When the day arrived, 86 percent of the cases were found to be outside the jurisdiction of the DC District Court and were thus dismissed, reducing the number from 6230 to 868. Of those cases, Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/12/us-copyright-group-drops-5000-p2p-defendants-from-cases.ars] says names have been named in just three and that the USCG wants to continue with action against the remaining 856 "who may live in DC." In other words, it's a good bet that some of those remaining cases will end up dismissed as well.

Bear in mind that the cases were dismissed not due to any fundamental flaw in the actions themselves but because of the willy-nilly way in which they were filed. They were dismissed without prejudice, meaning that the USCG could hook up with law firms in other jurisdictions to properly file and pursue the suits. And anyone who has already forked over the dough in response to the group's legal threats are out of luck; that money is gone for good, although the recently-filed class action suit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105786-Copyright-Lawyers-Sued-by-Copyright-Infringers] against the USCG itself may help get some of it back.

But the bottom line is that properly filing every one of these thousands of lawsuits could be prohibitively expensive and so the vast majority of these cases may very well just go away, as will the USCG's tactic of making money through scattershot lawsuit threats. I'm no lawyer, but that sure sounds like a serious boot to the chops to me.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Yay, some fewer bullshit lawsuits clogging up our legal system, progress! (not that I'm defending pirates, but come on, those lawsuits ARE bullshit)

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
I feel so weird, getting quoted in an article.

Anyway, a quick (and slightly wild) guess, with 13 lawyers on staff, they could probably afford to peruse about 20 of these max.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
When the day arrived, 93 percent of the cases were found to be outside the jurisdiction of the DC District Court and were thus dismissed, reducing the number from 6230 to 868.
Erm that's wrong 7% would be 436(.1 but who's counting) sombody needs to check their maths skills.

OT Good news I guess.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
A fine example as to why relying on IP addresses to detect pirates is pretty much useless.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Can the escapist not do math? 93% of 6230 = 436.1
If the result is 868 then roughly 86.0674% of cases were thrown out.

It's one or the other, not both.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Way to fail...

I dont support piracy but to sue someone and baseicly ruin thier life economically is just asshole behavior to me. In your faces lawyers!

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Fronzel said:
I don't know, what's to stop them from acting in exactly the same way in the future? Maybe they accepted this possibility and were just throwing everything to see what stuck and/or hoping to exhort settlements before it got this far.
If it had worked the way they wanted it too it was a licence to print money/a big fat addition to the resume. Turns out they screwed themselves and I'm willing to bet all those name are going on lists kept by HR with a note like "Fucked up very publicly".

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Stores don't sue you when you steal bagels from them.

Public perception is all screwed up regarding piracy. Either its stealing, or it's copyright violation, or it's everything. How about this. How about we get some better laws regarding this, and the companies can still play watch dog if they want, but the goverment will step in to punish those who violate the law, that way we can eliminate this whole fear profiteering bullshit groups like this are doing for a quick buck.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
They made those accusations based on IP-Addresses alone? Really?
Did these lawyers have any idea how easy it is to fake one of those? Or how they are used in actual internet transmission?

Any connection using PPP (one of the most commonly used home/remote connection protocols) will periodically rotate the addresses among a cluster of users (for a variety of technical reasons). Meaning the Pirate on Address D might have his IP switched with the innocent grandma Mary Sue down the road who had Address B at the time of the crime. Or log off and later resume his illicit file transfers on a different address (but same route and session timestamp, which are very easy to encrypt and hash).

IP alone isn't enough. You need a copy of all the payload data and a dozen other things to definitely link that to a household...or specifically, local/private system.

Yes, private system. Which means any user on that system (behind a NAT/PAT screen on the router no less) could have committed the crime. Since this is DC, chances are many of these people lived in dense apartment complexes. If any of them live in tenement-centric/apartment complexes, that could be anywhere from 2-238 "potential pirates" (based on common usage of private IP address allocation, minus subnetting).

So now you have the real possibility of some of these cases having to guess which tenant committed the crime.

Now I'm sure USCG has access to digital forensics and law enforcement agencies (though being a private organization, they are not law enforcement so no warrants) so I can only question why they would file a suit on such shaky grounds.

Besides, you can't sue "an IP address", only people or organizations.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Yes, the math was way off; my fault for not double-checking the numbers quoted by the original source. We've updated the post to reflect the proper percentage.

Thanks to everyone who pointed out the error without being a jerk about it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Yeah piracy is bad, but these carpet bombing style lawsuits are worse.

I'm sure the lack of teeth will serve the lawyers well considering where they will be ending up someday.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
What about the lawyer that tried to help these people? Throw out the lawsuit against him!

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Optimystic said:
What about the lawyer that tried to help these people? Throw out the lawsuit against him!
Again, it wasn't actually a lawsuit, they filed an ethics complaint against him. And, honestly on that front, it is actually quite unusual for a lawyer to be censured for ethics violations (you can craft your own jokes here). For reference, look at what Jack Thompson had to do to get disbarred.
XinfiniteX said:
Wait, there's a Far Cry movie??
Yeah, but it was directed by Uwe Boll, so, on the whole, you were probably better off before you had that little tidbit of information.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
To me, this is on a pat with sending out threatening letters from a fake debt collection agency saying you owe $50 to your energy supplier, and pay up in 7 days or the bailiffs will be visiting.

IT's nothing more than carpet bombing a scam across thousands of people in the hope that 2 or 3 feel guilty and pay up, and with any luck 200-300 are too scared by legal threats to look into it any further and just pay thru fear.

Note, again I'm not on the side of piracy, but if the law has been broken, then they need to go thru proper legal channels or they're just hired goons shaking down innocent people for free money. If the current system is too complex, just buy some more senators and get the laws chang- oh yes, they're already doing that.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Starke said:
Again, it wasn't actually a lawsuit, they filed an ethics complaint against him. And, honestly on that front, it is actually quite unusual for a lawyer to be censured for ethics violations (you can craft your own jokes here). For reference, look at what Jack Thompson had to do to get disbarred.
Escapist says it was a full-on lawsuit. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105651-Copyright-Lawyers-Sue-Lawyer-Who-Helped-Copyright-Defendants]

And what he did was perfectly ethical. It just happened to hurt the USCG lawyers' chances of denying people a fair trial, so they got pissed. Well, tough shit for them I say. The court system is supposed to protect everyone, not the guy with the most expensive legal briefs.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Optimystic said:
Starke said:
Escapist says it was a full-on lawsuit. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105651-Copyright-Lawyers-Sue-Lawyer-Who-Helped-Copyright-Defendants]

And what he did was perfectly ethical. It just happened to hurt the USCG lawyers' chances of denying people a fair trial, so they got pissed. Well, tough shit for them I say. The court system is supposed to protect everyone, not the guy with the most expensive legal briefs.
I'm aware. With respect to Mr. Chalk, they haven't sued him. They filed a motion in the already existing case, demanding sanctions against Syfert and seeking to quash the documents that he'd produced completely. They haven't sued him. There is no new law suit against them.

As for the fair trial argument, basically, they still have exactly the same chance of a fair trial as they did before. Something to remember, things like your right to a fair trial? Shit like that tends to be to protect you from government action. In spite of its impressive sounding name, the USCG isn't a government agency, which means you basically have fuck all rights to protect yourself from them. If right to a fair trial attached, these people could get public defenders, they can't because it's a civil suit and therefore not protected.