Nazis Face Their Doom in LittleBigPlanet 2 Shooter

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nazis Face Their Doom in LittleBigPlanet 2 Shooter

Just about every genre of game can be created in LittleBigPlanet 2, even the first-person Nazi shooter.

The creations coming out of the Wolfenstein 3D [http://www.amazon.com/LittleBigPlanet-2-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0K780/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291827136&sr=8-2]. Achtung!

Wolfenstein 3D wasn't the original first-person shooter, but it did popularize the genre. It was developed by id Software in 1992 and featured B.J. Blazkowicz as he fought his way out of the Nazi stronghold of Castle Wolfenstein while acquiring as much Nazi treasure as he could. Also, you fought Mecha-Hitler.

Raphaei's game is based on a pseudo-3D ray casting renderer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAIoEclk2ls] developed in LittleBigPlanet 2 by another user named Foofles, which is similar to the technology used in the original Wolfenstein 3D. Raphaei took the concept and added some Nazi flair.

Players must kill as many enemies as they can within 3 minutes. It looks like Raphaei has only included Wolfenstein's most basic foe for now (no Mecha-Hitler), but the enemy still utters sounds that will bring you back to the 1990s. The nature of the concept makes it look choppy as players move through the environment, but it's still an impressive use of technology that is otherwise used to help Sackboy hop around. The technique is still being refined, so expect even better first-person shooters from LittleBigPlanet 2 in the future, and probably just about everything else too.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
This looks worse than the original Wolfenstein. Good grief, the way the walls deform hurts my eyes. I don't mean to take a big dump on the guys who made this in their free time--pseudo-raytracing isn't exactly easy to pull off, especially in such an indirect environment--but I don't see why I should be the slightest bit impressed in a world where Unity and UDK are both free. If they're going to try and make more shooters in LBP2, I hope they either really spruce up this tech so that it isn't so choppy or else find another, better way of doing first-person perspective.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
My God that's visually horrifying. I was getting a headache just trying to watch the video. I mean, props to the fellow for doing something interesting with Little Big Planet 2 but...ouch.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
need...ps3...now...

and a heart operation too, but a man needs priorities XD

on a side note, that's pretty impressive, especially considering it's done with a joypad on a free ended platformer game

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I'll try it out but I agree about the walls being really distracting.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I want to see Sackboy Mecha-Hitler.

NickCaligo42 said:
This looks worse than the original Wolfenstein. Good grief, the way the walls deform hurts my eyes. I don't mean to take a big dump on the guys who made this in their free time--pseudo-raytracing isn't exactly easy to pull off, especially in such an indirect environment--but I don't see why I should be the slightest bit impressed in a world where Unity and UDK are both free. If they're going to try and make more shooters in LBP2, I hope they either really spruce up this tech so that it isn't so choppy or else find another, better way of doing first-person perspective.
It's a beta inside a beta. Even if the whole thing is a tank someone took an idea from an idea and created something coherent (though choppy and brain aching) with very little.

Dec 14, 2009
The guy may have spent a lot of time making that but it looks like shit, seriously, my head hurts from watching that.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
manythings said:
It's a beta inside a beta. Even if the whole thing is a tank someone took an idea from an idea and created something coherent (though choppy and brain aching) with very little.
You know, that's a good way of putting what's impressive about this, but all the same... this is still pretty misleading. It's like all those releases of so-called third-person shooters being made in StarCraft II... which are all terrible and constrained by ridiculous engine limitations compared with things I've seen set up in Unity in a few days. I just don't think it's a good idea to be trying to sell people on this as a tool they can make actual games with when it's really just a fun toy.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Just finished playing it (after spending about an hour downloading a new update -_-) and yeah, I do have a headache now. It is very disorienting with the walls doing that and the short draw distance. But it's still a bit impressive considering the circumstances in which it was created. I'm not about to play it again though! x_x

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
but the enemy still utters sounds that will bring you back to the 1990s
Really? All I hear is some rather muffled stuff that sounds nothing like Wolf3D. But then, maybe it sounded better in the second half of the video that I didn't watch due to the headache I was getting from looking at it.

It's an amazing achievement, but it reminds me of the Doom clone I saw on the Commodore 64. It sorta works, and it's an impressive programming achievement, but it plays to all the weaknesses of the platform and isn't objectively that good.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
Well, I certainly wasn't expecting THIS to come of Littlebigplanet 2. Turns out it really is a game for making entire games.

KrazyKain

Jun 2, 2010
I appreciate that its making something unexpected out of LBP2.... but it looks unplayable and headache inducing