Sony Online Strongly "Hints" Planetside Sequel Coming This Spring

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Sony Online Strongly "Hints" Planetside Sequel Coming This Spring

SOE President John Smedley said that the sequel to the MMO shooter Planetside will land in March 2011.

While getting the tour of the Sony Online Denver studio, I was able to snag John Smedley to chat for a few minutes on the state of the gaming industry. We talked about SOE's biggest competitor, Blizzard, and how other MMO companies react to what the WoW-maker does, as well as what can be learned from the demise of APB's Realtime Worlds. But when I asked him to confirm whether the titles that I'd been asked out to Denver to see, Magic The Gathering Tactics and DC Universe Online, were the only games in the pipeline for SOE, Smedley dropped a bomb. Not only is he heavily invested in social and casual games, but Smedley is super excited for Sony's return to the MMOFPS genre with the tentatively titled Planetside Next. Sony has hinted at a sequel with that working title before, but this is the first time that we've gotten wind of a release window.

"We have a very big launch coming in the month of March," Smedley said. "It's a big first person shooter franchise that we're really happy with."

I took a leap of logic and asked whether it was Planetside.

"Could be," Smedley said sheepishly. "We haven't technically announced it." He then told me that I could say that he "hinted" that the new Planetside was imminent, which translates to 99% of a confirmation. "This is the farthest I've gone [discussing it with the press] and the PR people are going to shoot me."

As for why it's called Planetside Next, it appears that Smedley might have learned something from his signature franchise. "We don't have the official name for it. Planetside Next is kind of the working title," Smedley said. "We've learned some lessons with Everquest II , not one of the better moves that we've ever made. We should have called it EverQuest Something. Having Everquest I and II sit on the shelves at the same time, in hindsight, was probably not the the brightest of moves."

That's because the two fantasy MMOs are separate products which both have their own servers and audience. That will be less of a problem with Planetside, due to the small number of people still playing the 7 year old game on its one remaining server. Does Smedley think that the update will bring in more players than the first one did? Well, it's safe to say that he is excited about it.

"[Planetside Next] is the coolest god-damned game," Smedley said. "I'm so in love with that game."

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Oh god, I loved that game. The only MMO that ever kept me on, the stories I could tell about it... Too bad they are going to compete with TOR and no way I could afford both.

TimbukTurnip

Jan 3, 2009
Despite its flaws and the fact it can be very frustrating, I absolutely love planetside, though I don't play it anymore. I hope this sequel has better gameplay and brings back the population the first game used to have. That would be bloody excellent.

Imp Poster

Sep 16, 2010
Haha, in general, that game was a blast. It got old just taking over bases but the gameplay was so memorable. Thanks to all the other players.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Greg Tito said:
"[Planetside Next] is the coolest god-damned game," Smedley said. "I'm so in love with that game.">
If you love it so much then why don't you marry it!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
holy shit, I hope its really a sequel and they dont fuck it up, planetside was one of those under appreciated gems but sony was one of the ones that didnt appreciate it and they fucked it up

CMON, BE GOOD, AND DONT GET FUCKED UP

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I just wet myself in excitement, metaphorically. I wasn't expecting Planetside: The Next Generation to release so soon. Now I will metaphorically go to the bathroom and clean myself off.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
Hopefully it will allow for more shenanigans like this:

And yes that is from the Planetside war that took place forever ago. Seriously I have like a million screenshots from the last day.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
JA;LJKDFPAOJDFA;LKJDF;LAMA;LJSKDFIAOEWUJA;RLFJSKDFA;OILJUD;LJSD;AFLIUJ;DLFKAJDFOQHUENA;DLFJZ;LXCDIUJAHLSDPJHKFA;LEJRA;LSDJHIFAOJHZ;LXJCKFA;LSDJFAPOEIJRA;LKDJFA;LSDIJERLKAJDA;FIDJAH;LKSJDRJA;LJKDFPAOJDFA;LKJDF;LAMA;LJSKDFIAOEWUJA;RLFJSKDFA;OILJUD;LJSD;AFLIUJ;DLFKAJDFOQHUENA;DLFJZ;LXCDIUJAHLSDPJHKFA;LEJRA;LSDJHIFAOJHZ;LXJCKFA;LSDJFAPOEIJRA;LKDJFA;LSDIJERLKAJDA;FIDJAH;LKSJDRJA;LJKDFPAOJDFA;LKJDF;LAMA;LJSKDFIAOEWUJA;RLFJSKDFA;OILJUD;LJSD;AFLIUJ;DLFKAJDFOQHUENA;DLFJZ;LXCDIUJAHLSDPJHKFA;LEJRA;LSDJHIFAOJHZ;LXJCKFA;LSDJFAPOEIJRA;LKDJFA;LSDIJERLKAJDA;FIDJAH;LKSJDRJA;LJKDFPAOJDFA;LKJDF;LAMA;LJSKDFIAOEWUJA;RLFJSKDFA;OILJUD;LJSD;AFLIUJ;DLFKAJDFOQHUENA;DLFJZ;LXCDIUJAHLSDPJHKFA;LEJRA;LSDJHIFAOJHZ;LXJCKFA;LSDJFAPOEIJRA;LKDJFA;LSDIJERLKAJDA;FIDJAH;LKSJDRJA;LJKDFPAOJDFA;LKJDF;LAMA;LJSKDFIAOEWUJA;RLFJSKDFA;OILJUD;LJSD;AFLIUJ;DLFKAJDFOQHUENA;DLFJZ;LXCDIUJAHLSDPJHKFA;LEJRA;LSDJHIFAOJHZ;LXJCKFA;LSDJFAPOEIJRA;LKDJFA;LSDIJERLKAJDA;FIDJAH;LKSJDRJA;LJKDFPAOJDFA;LKJDF;LAMA;LJSKDFIAOEWUJA;RLFJSKDFA;OILJUD;LJSD;AFLIUJ;DLFKAJDFOQHUENA;DLFJZ;LXCDIUJAHLSDPJHKFA;LEJRA;LSDJHIFAOJHZ;LXJCKFA;LSDJFAPOEIJRA;LKDJFA;LSDIJERLKAJDA;FIDJAH;LKSJDRJA;LJKDFPAOJDFA;LKJDF;LAMA;LJSKDFIAOEWUJA;RLFJSKDFA;OILJUD;LJSD;AFLIUJ;DLFKAJDFOQHUENA;DLFJZ;LXCDIUJAHLSDPJHKFA;LEJRA;LSDJHIFAOJHZ;LXJCKFA;LSDJFAPOEIJRA;LKDJFA;LSDIJERLKAJDA;FIDJAH;LKSJDRJA;LJKDFPAOJDFA;LKJDF;LAMA;LJSKDFIAOEWUJA;RLFJSKDFA;OILJUD;LJSD;AFLIUJ;DLFKAJDFOQHUENA;DLFJZ;LXCDIUJAHLSDPJHKFA;LEJRA;LSDJHIFAOJHZ;LXJCKFA;LSDJFAPOEIJRA;LKDJFA;LSDIJERLKAJDA;FIDJAH;LKSJDRJA;LJKDFPAOJDFA;LKJDF;LAMA;LJSKDFIAOEWUJA;RLFJSKDFA;OILJUD;LJSD;AFLIUJ;DLFKAJDFOQHUENA;DLFJZ;LXCDIUJAHLSDPJHKFA;LEJRA;LSDJHIFAOJHZ;LXJCKFA;LSDJFAPOEIJRA;LKDJFA;LSDIJERLKAJDA;FIDJAH;LKSJDR

Only Snoopy can express how fucking excited I am.

OneHP

Optimist Laureate
Jan 31, 2008
Can not wait! The Escapist is going to secure some awesome launch event? Yes? We need another war against RPS and Offworld.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
I just let out an eek of joy, then subsequently slapped myself for eeking. But I'm Still soo dang exited for this. I had so many good times playing that game and stories of adventures and shennanigans that just thinking about it puts me in a good mood. It's the only MMO I have and ever will pay for.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
AWESOME.

I was hoping CCP's 'Dust' game would be a decent spiritual successor, but if they're making their own sequel, well that's just gravy too!

Very much looking forward to it.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
About god damned time! I think my degree that I finish in April next year may suffer however...

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
OH MY GOD, I will sacrifice my first born for this, the first was glorious if not way ahead of this time (mmo fps didn't work too well when everyone had dial up). This just made my morning, hopefully they will have a beta that I can get into.

Virus0015

Dec 1, 2009
I'm sure many would agree with me that Planetside was one of the best games ever made. If this sequel can even come close to the original it will be all I play for years to come.

Vindicore

Dec 9, 2010
Been waiting for this game since the original lost its developer support.

The Vindicators will be there in style!