Activision Insists Tony Hawk Series Still Relevant

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

Tony Hawk is the Michael Jordan of skateboarding, says Activision executive.

The Tony Hawk series isn't what it used to be. Once upon a time, the series was a major earner for Activision, but the most recent release - Tony Hawk Shred [http://www.amazon.com/Tony-Hawk-Shred-Bundle-Xbox-360/dp/B003VKLACS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1291832808&sr=1-1] - limped out of the gate, selling just 3,000 units in the US at the end of October. But Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg says that people shouldn't count the series out just yet.

Hirshberg said that the 3,000 unit sales for Shred, which is the second game to use the skateboard controller than debuted in Tony Hawk Ride, only represented two days worth of sales. He thought that sales would spike over the holidays, as parents bought the game for their kids as a gift, and said that Activision would continue to advertise the game all through the holiday period. Hirshberg did admit, however that Activision did have to ask itself some questions about the direction of the series, and made it clear that Activision wasn't ignoring the fact that it had lost some of its audience.

One thing that Hirshberg was confident was not keeping people away was Hawk himself. Hirchberg thought that Hawk had the same kind of long-lasting appeal as basketball player Michael Jordan, and that while there were younger and more current skaters; Hawk was an icon in the sport. "Tony Hawk does really still have relevance and tremendous appeal for people," he said. "He really is that kind of Mount Rushmore-level guy in that category."

It will be interesting to see if Shred really does do better over the holidays. It wouldn't be the first time that an Activision game with a non-standard controller has been a slow-burner: The first DJ Hero didn't sell spectacularly well in the first month, but went on to sell around two million units [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103787-DJ-Hero-Dev-F-cking-Mad-to-Call-Game-a-Failure]. That said, Hirshberg's claim that the Tony Hawk name is still a big draw is a little hard to believe, as 3,000 units is low, even for a slow burner.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/activision-tony-hawk-still-has-michael-jordan-type-staying-power/]

Oct 14, 2010
Continue to advertise? I haven't seen a single spot for this game! Am I looking in the wrong places?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Keeping telling yourself that, Activision.

Then click your heels together a few times.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Go back to the arcade roots! I was the master at the game when you were like that, and now you've made everything too complicated, like cooking a burger upside down. You'll feel proud that you can do it when you're not suffering brain trauma.

Calumon: Ummm... I'm pretty sure it'd be cheaper to do it for real, and you'd get more out of it! :D

Jack: I'm pretty sure it's freezing out there.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Tim Latshaw said:
Continue to advertise? I haven't seen a single spot for this game! Am I looking in the wrong places?
Same here, this is the first i've heard of it.

As for the sale increase that they're hoping for, I just don't see that happening. These days its all about Shaun White and all that.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
"Activision Insists Tony Hawk Series Still Relevant."

Cool. You can keep thinking that Activision. You're wrong, but you can keep thinking that.

It's not the 90s anymore, unfortunately. Skateboarding isn't the cultural phenomenon it used to be. If we had Tony Hawk's Ride during the time when Clinton was in office, it would probably have done a hellova lot better. It was a thing back then to learn how to ride a board with 4 wheels. Same with rollerskates in the 80s. It was a thing. But now it just isn't really practical, and society itself has moved on from the fad. (IMO: Just like how about a decade from now nobody will use Facebook. Just a guess, but I'd almost be willing to bet money on it.)

Now, Tony Hawk is damn skilled with that board, and can do some amazing things while riding it. But nobody cares anymore. It was a 'thing' of the 90s, and now really isn't. I don't know what to tell you, Tony. But I think the game series is done with.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
You know, I think referring to the Tony Hawk series as the "Michael Jordan of skateboarding" is actually pretty spot on. Young, fresh and different, changing the way the game is played, legendary in its prime... And then steadily declining until the point of humiliating self-parody has been reached.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
No, it isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I was a man amongst gods on Pro Skater 3, but that was 7 fucking years ago, and before they turned it into some weird frat boy adventure with Bam Margera, and that was like 5 iterations ago!

In the wise words of everyone on Lost: "Let it go, Jack Eric."

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I think there's a typo in the headline. It should say "profitable", not "relevant".

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
"No! Really! Tony Hawk's is still totally relevant guys! Wanna come over and play some? I got this killer kickflip combo earlier...guys? Guys where're you going? Guys, come back! Let me tell you about this awesome chain I got! "

Let it die guys. It can join the games which should've been left behind, along with Tomb Raider and Duke Nukem.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Give us endless lines, ridiuclus moves, a kick ass sound track and toilet humour and then we are talking. Untill they come back, im not buying any TH games. THAW sucked hard

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
By all means keep spending money making more Tony Hawk games, just don't get disappointed when they don't sell anything.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Give me a pro skater 2 remake, with no bells or whistles, only pimped out graphics, then we may talk.

No, not even off the board bits.

or skateboard controller bits.

just pure goodness of Tony hawks iconic game.

rosac

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
rosac said:
Give me a pro skater 2 remake, with no bells or whistles, only pimped out graphics, then we may talk.

No, not even off the board bits.

or skateboard controller bits.

just pure goodness of Tony hawks iconic game.

rosac
Quite liked the fact that tony hawks 2 underground had the same gameplay (as in the 2 minutes of glory) for every level aswell as the newer style.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Space Spoons said:
You know, I think referring to the Tony Hawk series as the "Michael Jordan of skateboarding" is actually pretty spot on. Young, fresh and different, changing the way the game is played, legendary in its prime... And then steadily declining until the point of humiliating self-parody has been reached.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I read the headline and then the sub-headline and said "Yeah, Tony Hawk's Skateboard games are about as relevant as Jordan these days. As in, not relevant at all anymore."

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Ho~ho~. Yes, we're so relevant, we're relying on clueless parents to foist the game on their children over Christmas.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Pfft, Tony Hawk is so 1990s, man. Same with Michael Jordan actually, come to think of it.

Levi93

Oct 26, 2009
tony hawks games died after american wasteland, it all got too serious.