Researcher Goes Inside the Criminal Mind of a File-Sharer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Researcher Goes Inside the Criminal Mind of a File-Sharer

A study by the University of Portsmouth has concluded that the average illegal file sharer is a 28-year-old male with a Robin Hood complex and a desire for notoriety.

Joe Cox of the Information Economics and Policy [http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/faculties/portsmouthbusinessschool/latestnews/title,121228,en.html] journal, is apparently the first to look at the "characteristics, motivations and behaviors of different types of file sharers."

Cox said file sharers can be broken down into two groups: "leechers" and "seeders." He called it a "fascinating" area of study because seeders, who enable the leechers in the first place, have no obvious reason for doing so. "My research shows they are motivated by feelings of altruism, community spirit and are seeking recognition among other members of the file sharing community," he explained. "I think it's likely some benefit is also derived from a feeling of 'getting one over on the system' too."

The research is intended to help with future policy decisions regarding file sharing, but Cox acknowledged that convincing file sharers to give up the practice will be tricky. "Some file sharers see themselves as masked philanthropists - the Robin Hoods of the digital age," he said. "They believe their activities shouldn't be considered illegal, which means finding the most appropriate form of deterrence and punishment is extremely difficult."

Nonetheless, he suggested that some form of "carefully thought-through" policies need to be put into place to deter the practice, noting, "Although it is difficult to measure the true extent of how illegal file sharing has affected the creative industries, I do believe it is a significant threat in terms of loss of employment and revenues."

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2010/12/08/criminal-profile-average-p2p-user-28-years-old-and-male]

The Random One

May 29, 2008
It's about time they figured this out. If only companies realized that they wouldn't feel so self-important if they didn't keep doing evil stuff like suing the hell out of everyone.

So did he study the 'leechers' as well? Did he find out that they don't give two flying shits about the seeders' cries for freedom and will rip off the upstarting garage band that sends you their entire album DRM free if you send them a postcard just as soon as they will Ubisoft?

There, now I angered both sides of the issue, my work here is done. *flies away*

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Finally! More of this please.

Now if people can get more of this kind of data collected and resist their natural inclination to spin everything towards safeguarding the almighty dollar, maybe institutions can finally come up with a response that'll have a positive impact for all...

...eh...likely not. Still...at least now I can see someone trying to collect this kind of data and that's more progress than I've seen in months if not years.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Sounds about right.

The problem with any Robin Hood is that it takes about three seconds of ill-informed reasoning to convince yourself that the person you're stealing from is a "bad guy," which is all it takes to convince yourself that you're doing the world (or someone) a favor by stealing from them.

Something so simple as, "Wow, I don't think $50 is a fair price for that game," becomes "They're thieves!" Thinly-veiled justification is cheap and easy to come by, but hey--that kind of currency gets you mountains of free stuff with no guilt!

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Yeah, um, "research" wasn't needed for this. Just cruise down some of their forums and you'll find out what you needed to know.

Still, glad someone is taking the initiative.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Best punishment/deterrent for a file sharer: Make them write and sell their own videogame.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Wait a sec, doesn't a Robin Hood complex mean that you don't want notoriety, but just want to get away with whatever you did?

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
That's so funny..

The average torrenter is just someone who wants something for nothing (not neccessarily a bad thing, that's not my point) and when he has to justify it he uses all the 'high minded' reasoning available.. but that's just being human.. not criminal.

There 'may' be the one's who do it to make a point, or as a form of protest.. but they're are few and far between.

The researcher should be fired for being so gulible and for knowing nothing at all about those he is researching... he's just quite simply bad at his job, and forming all the wrong conclusions.. back to school I think, because he obviously eaned nothing first time around.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
If people didn't think the companies were scamming them, they'd pay them... maybe companies should try settling for non-extortionate prices and lots of sales, as opposed to charging up the wazoo for everything?

Selling to a lot of people can result in a lot of moolah and it's easier to get more customers if you charge a fair price.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I think that the Robin Hood complex is no quite accurate... my pirate friends just want free junk.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
If people didn't think the companies were scamming them, they'd pay them... maybe companies should try settling for non-extortionate prices and lots of sales, as opposed to charging up the wazoo for everything?

Selling to a lot of people can result in a lot of moolah and it's easier to get more customers if you charge a fair price.
Unfortunately, the argument is, 'but some people will pirate if you charge only 1c, look at that indie deal!'.

However, putting aside that fact that some people will pirate ANYTHING, for various reasons, (perhaps like being underage and not having a credit and not having parents that understand, never mind trust the internet enough to allow their credit card to be used), it still shows that a well done sale sends profits thru the roof. When you're talking digital distribution also, this means you're not having to deal with any real costs, apart from the server bill.

I think it was World of Goo, their sales had dropped to about a dozen copies a month, they had a 'pay what you like' sale and suddenly they made tens of thousands again.

I don't have a hard and fast limit on what I'll pay, but the highest I've paid for a PC game was £18 for GTA IV and £15 for Fallout 3 GOTY. I'm on a very limited budget, and therefore I'll BUY games, but I'll wait until they hit a price point I feel ok with.

As ever, they're all far too terrified at the 'potential' losses of revenue, while they're sat on a big pile of real money from sales.

Whats worse for a company - 10,000 sales and 50,000 active torrents, or 1,000 sales and zero pirate activity? Surely despite the losses, putting them to one side, wouldn't you rather accept that and take higher sales?

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
Researcher Goes Inside the Criminal Mind of a Jaywalker.

Except it's file sharing. Criminal mind, seriously? Seeding torrents, like jaywalking, is something people 'just do'. But I'm sure jaywalkers can come up with some moral justification for their illegal behaviour if you press them enough.

Unless of course we're actually talking about the warez guys who do the original ripping/cracking/encoding (whatever is appropriate) and spreading. But that's not who you're talking about when you say 'seeders' as opposed to 'leechers'.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
all I can say is that I support he Pirate Party of Canada. They are a legitimate political party vying for new copyright laws, I'm all for it. File sharing should not be illegal in my opinion.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
I seed because other people seed, I am simply returning the favor. But seeding and leeching isn't criminal.. torrents are not illegal, there are illegal things being torrented, but the act of torrenting it's self is not.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
He called it a "fascinating" area of study because...
...he was completely ignorant to this field of study prior to the publication of the survey.

The things people get paid for these days.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Want to know why people pirate stuff? Ridiculous copy protection and DRM.

I remember the CD that they had to warn you not to put into your PC because it would crash it, gee I wonder why someone would want to pirate that? To perhaps...LISTEN TO IT ON THEIR PC?? (or you know because at the time it was probably overpriced, I wouldn't know)

Also, I have Farcry 2, CD, serial number and everything. I had to grab another copy off a site because while I was configuring my new PC at the time, it counted ALL the hardware changes I was doing and it used up all my installs without saying anything. Company never wrote me back for more installs either and I wasn't about to drop more money on a game I already bloody paid for.

Seriously I can't think of a more stupid thing to do than to put a limit on the people who actually buy your game. After all DRM isn't in pirated versions of the game so that option would look more appealing wouldn't it? You want to squeeze more money out of them, find a less bastard way.

/rant

Also: No I don't pirate DRM games, I usually avoid them, buy the console version if I really must have it. Farcry 2 was a dumb single event thing because really would you just buy the game again and take BS being handed to you?

Also also:
If you think I'm some crazy pirate or whatever:

WRONG