EA Makes a Mint on Battlefield 1943

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
EA Makes a Mint on Battlefield 1943

Despite having to share the revenue with Sony and Microsoft, EA's downloadable WWII shoot has been a roaring success.

Battlefield 1943 was one of the fastest moving digital-only products that Xbox Live and PSN had ever seen, selling more than 600,000 units [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93383-Battlefield-1943-Fastest-Selling-Download-Title-Ever] in its first two weeks. Unsurprisingly, this has meant some very good things for EA's bank balance, as CFO Eric Brown revealed at a conference in New York.

The World War II shooter shipped with three maps - with a fourth unlocked barely a week later when players amassed a collective 43 million kills - and cost around $15 to buy on Xbox Live and PSN. Brown said that BF1943 had generated $16 million in revenue, after Sony and Microsoft had taken their respective cuts. Brown didn't go into quite as much detail about how much BF1943 had cost EA to make, but said that it was in the single-digit millions.

Assuming that all the costs of getting the game to market are included in that total - which might not be the case, as Brown might be keeping other costs, like any advertising or marketing, separate - EA is looking at a profit of at least $5 - 6 million. Brown also noted the success of its other downloadable products, like FIFA's ultimate team mode, and said that he expected digital sales to account for a fifth of EA's revenue for the fiscal year.

This success will surely encourage EA to make more smaller-scale, low price point games. It might even be a way for EA to test the waters on riskier IPs like a relaunch/sequel to Mirror's Edge without having to commit to a full, sixty dollar a pop, game.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/08/battlefield-1943-has-earned-ea-16-million/]

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
so where is the PC version? <..> Been waiting on this for the PC for the better part of the year now...

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
So are they going to, you know, ever get around to releasing it on PC like they said they would?

To be honest I'd prefer a straight-up BF1942 graphical update with minor improvements, (iron-sight aiming for example.) BF'42 is epic.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
so where is the PC version? <..> Been waiting on this for the PC for the better part of the year now...
Holy shit, when I saw this I thought for a second that I was missing out on the PC version. It's not even out yet? Nice go EA, now how about throwing a bone to us?

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Superior Mind said:
So are they going to, you know, ever get around to releasing it on PC like they said they would?

To be honest I'd probably prefer a straight-up BF1942 graphical update with minor improvements, (iron-sight aiming for example.) BF'42 is epic.
And do you know what would be more awesome then that? Is if the guys that did the Desert Combat mod for 1942 redid their mod for this one =D

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
ethaninja said:
Holy shit, when I saw this I thought for a second that I was missing out on the PC version. It's not even out yet? Nice go EA, now how about throwing a bone to us?
PC have got a free version of BF2 coming up soon called Battlefield Free2Play

http://www.ea.com/free/play-free-games

Plus we have BC2:Vietnam is out next week! :D

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Ultimately, it was fairly obvious. With digital distribution, you only have one company taking a slice. With retail, you have to pay the retailer, printing and distribution companies at the very least.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I bought it, and liked it. It was good and you got what is ,in effect, the multiplayer portion of a full game for a fraction of the cost.

Activision could release CoD's multiplayer separately for less than full price, and it wouldn't effect the main player base. They wouldn't do that though as they can charge more than retail value and it still sells bucketloads without a decent single-player campaign.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Most of my favorite games this year were only $15. Hell Lara Croft and Guardian of Light has more content then the majority of $60 titles on the market.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
err I don't see how it costs to make at all, it was basically BF1942 with better graphics, even the maps were mostly the same, though more limited.

I mean I got it, and I rarely buy multiplayer only games or FPS' at all, but just looking at it when it first came out I knew it was just a cash grab.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
i'd file it under "never gonna happen". and PC gamers are really still optimistic about BF3 being more PC worthy, after they prove with games like this that they are definitely more console-oriented, like every other FPS developer out there.... i just don't really hold much hope, personally

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
You and me both. I've been waiting, credit card in hand for this one. No idea why they wouldn't get it out the door sooner...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
uppitycracker said:
DTWolfwood said:
i'd file it under "never gonna happen". and PC gamers are really still optimistic about BF3 being more PC worthy, after they prove with games like this that they are definitely more console-oriented, like every other FPS developer out there.... i just don't really hold much hope, personally
Me neither, but if they give me a destroyer or an actual moving-gunning carrier with PLANES again ill be happy even if the controls and UI are consolified. (If they gave me back the player run artillery/howitzers with a spotter i'll jizz my pants)

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
Tell me if I read this wrong but if they said production was in the single digit millions and the total money BF1943 accumulated was 16 million wouldnt the profit be 6-7million not 5-6million.

BTW Meesa be a trolling