Coolest Hotel in the World Gets Tron-Inspired Makeover

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Coolest Hotel in the World Gets Tron-Inspired Makeover

It might be the coldest hotel in the world, but one look at the Icehotel's [http://www.icehotel.com/uk/ICEHOTEL/] Tron room and you probably won't care.

Staying in a hotel made of ice must be a pretty unique experience, but you have to assume that staying in a suite inspired by the movie Tron would add a certain something to the experience for the adventurous, and geeky, traveller.

The "Legacy of the River" room is part of the Icehotel in Jukkasjärvi in the Swedish part of Lapland. The hotel is constructed entirely out of ice, and thus melts away each year as temperatures rise. As part of the 21st Icehotel, designers Ben Rousseau and architect Ian Douglas-Jones designed and constructed a room based around the cult sci-fi movie Tron and its upcoming sequel. The pair etched channels into blocks of clear ice, and then laid glowing blue cables into the channels in order to replicate the look of the movie. So not to be wasteful, the lights take very little energy and are run on sustainable energy sources.

The pair had to wear special insulated suits as they shaped the ice with chainsaws and chisels in the freezing arctic temperatures,. "We are massive Tron fans," Rousseau said in a statement about the project. "The entire film is a complete fantasy for us both with its high-tech and futuristic design."

Aside from looking simply amazing, what makes this room extra special is that it has a very limited shelf life, and probably won't be around in six months time. The average temperature in the hotel is about -5&#176C. or 23&#176F., and a room at the Icehotel costs at least four hundred and fifty dollars a night. The company that runs the hotel doesn't recommend a prolonged stay in such chilly accommodation however, and suggests travelers limit their visit to just one night.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/12/tron-legacy-icehotel/?pid=2181]

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

That is awesome...Too bad i dont have enough money to actully stay in it.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Hope the Artist that design that room got paid for advertising for Disney XD

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Although it look cool I wouldn't want to be in the room should the ice started to melt somehow, (eventhough it said that the temperature shouldn't rise, maybe an outside source would melt the ice)it would be quite shocking.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
They have to rebuild the entire hotel each year? D: How big is it?

Looks amazing anyway :3

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Dexiro said:
They have to rebuild the entire hotel each year? D: How big is it?

Looks amazing anyway :3
Have you seen Die Another Day? It's pretty much the same as the ice hotel in that. Actually, the ice hotel in that is supposed to be this.

OT: That's unbelievably cool.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Wait, it's made of Ice? How the fuck do they keep it up o_O

I'm sure they know about Global Warming...right? Heat + Ice = bad times =\ especially if your sleeping =\

Aside from that it looks awesome!

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Ive watched the construction of one of their ice hotels on the Science channel, pretty cool stuff... no pun intended...

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
arc1991 said:
Wait, it's made of Ice? How the fuck do they keep it up o_O

I'm sure they know about Global Warming...right? Heat + Ice = bad times =\ especially if your sleeping =\

Aside from that it looks awesome!
Don't know if you're familiar, but they do something similar to this in Harbin, China every time around the winter called the Harbin Snow and Ice Festival. Entire buildings constructed out of ice, elaborate snow sculptures. Quite a sight to behold. I couldn't help but think of those images when looking at the video for the Tron room here.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
felixader said:
Oh, damnit! That Hacker Noob triggered the ICE.

I wonder who gets it. :p
What, Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics? That's a classic staple of the Cyberpunk genre there, who wouldn't get that?

Answer: Kids these days, sadly.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Gildan Bladeborn said:
felixader said:
Oh, damnit! That Hacker Noob triggered the ICE.

I wonder who gets it. :p
What, Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics? That's a classic staple of the Cyberpunk genre there, who wouldn't get that?

Answer: Kids these days, sadly.
At least you did, that gives me some rest. ^.^