Homefront Designer Says Controversy Is Good for Games

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Homefront Designer Says Controversy Is Good for Games

The maker of a game set in a U.S. occupied by Korean troops said that controversy is good for the industry if it helps fuel debate.

It may feel like Kaos Studios' president, Dave Votypka, may have a horse in this race but he honestly believes that controversy is a good thing for the industry. The game that his company is working on has had its fair share of attention, with most people focusing on the prospect of America being invaded and occupied by a unified Korean nation. Danny Bilson from THQ, who is publishing Homefront, even personally thanked Kim Jong Il for making the premise to this game more plausible [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104561-THQ-Thanks-Korea-for-Helping-to-Sell-Homefront]. Votypka did say that it made a difference what kind of controversy your game is generating and whether it sparks a healthy debate.

"I think it depends on the tone and depth of the controversy," Votypka said. "When you're dealing with portraying real events, with real people that the public currently has a personal and emotional attachment to, there are sensitivities there that need to be respected and avoided. But when creating speculative fiction, that is based decades in the future, it's just that, it's fiction."

Kaos Studios is used to using its games to pushing the dialogue forward. The 2008 shooter Frontlines: Fuel of War what might happen when our world's oil supplies were depleted and the details of the plot was picked up by many mainstream media outlets:

Obviously, getting talked about in mainstream media is good for product awareness, but you don't want it to be critical or inaccurate. If the result is a discussion of the fictional ideas and intellectual debate, that's fine and healthy. Frontlines was also built from a "what-if" scenario centered around peak oil, and the energy wars that could result when our finite supply of oil is no longer able to sustain our oil dependent existence. In that game, America and its Allies were fighting to control oil reserves in the Caspian Sea, which one could argue - and some have - that it paints America in a negative light; but it's a story!

Votypka hopes that any possible controversy with Homefront gets a similar amount of press in order to present the ideas of the game, but he doesn't want it to go much further than that. He doesn't mention it, but its clear that Votypka would like to steer his game clear of the kind of controversy that Medal of Honor experienced with its inclusion of the Taliban and that ultimately might have hurt sales. On the other hand, the Hot Coffee brouhaha for GTA: San Andreas or the Russian Airport level of Modern Warfare 2 didn't do too much to hurt sales.

In short, I agree with Votypka that controversial topics can be a healthy step forward for the game industry. We could sure use more compelling "games of ideas" like BioShock and perhaps Homefront. The trick is to make sure that the game is still fun.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/kaos-game-controversy-is-good-if-it-leads-to-debate-189273.phtml]

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
It all depends on how those who are responsible for the game handle the debate. If they can't handle the debate, it only becomes a tougher obstacle.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
If Red Dawn could do it in a mid-quality 80's movie, why not do it in a video game?

And, just because I mentioned Red Dawn...

Even under a black bandanna, that C. Tommy Howell was a cutie in the 80's!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Good for the sales generally. Let's not forget Six Days in Fallujah which never saw the light of day due to controversy.

But when creating speculative fiction, that is based decades in the future, it's just that, it's fiction.
So when controversy isn't controversial, it's fine. Thanks, Mr. Votypka.

Oct 14, 2010
I'm perfectly fine with controversy, but can we ever have more that doesn't deal with people shooting and/or having sex with other people? I think the industry would be respected a little more as a whole for it.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
"When you're dealing with portraying real events, with real people that the public currently has a personal and emotional attachment to, there are sensitivities there that need to be respected and avoided."

No, I'm sorry, there are not. I'm right there with him for the rest, but gaming will never be a fully fledged adult medium until it can tackle current and sensitive events like any other media.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Tim Latshaw said:
I'm perfectly fine with controversy, but can we ever have more that doesn't deal with people shooting and/or having sex with other people? I think the industry would be respected a little more as a whole for it.
You could have a grand strategy game based on the finance world, though somehow I think people might still find shooting and sexing less offensive.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I just hope the Koreas hold off shooting at each other until after the launch of the game. If anything, that will just drive sales. People will want to learn how to hold out against Korean invaders. This game should be no more controversial than Halo or Half Life.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I don't particularly care about controversy, it has no impact on me. I only get pissed if the game company throws down a shitload of controversy them backs down after the inevitable (and in most cases retarded) public outcry... Lookin' at you EA

blaberer6

Jan 25, 2009
Heh, maybe the North Koreans will have a gaming league for Homefront on the side of the Koreans inside.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I think the people in the industry need to clean up their act when it comes to responding to controversy. Too many times when someone points out something that is slightly controversial, game-defenders pop up and go "NONONONO YOU STUPID, YOU IDIOT, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!" and proceed to go "LALALALA" without even thinking about the opposing side. It's this kind of thinking that keeps ups from accepting valid criticism when it is called for.

So, yeah, a little controversy never hurt anyone, but it's just as much on us as it is on them.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
Wait a minute, a game where America gets invaded by EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLL? Sounds familiar...

Oh yeah.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Generic_Dave said:
"When you're dealing with portraying real events, with real people that the public currently has a personal and emotional attachment to, there are sensitivities there that need to be respected and avoided."

No, I'm sorry, there are not. I'm right there with him for the rest, but gaming will never be a fully fledged adult medium until it can tackle current and sensitive events like any other media.
Exactly. It seems like as soon as the Chilean miner coverage started people were more interested in who would play them in the inevitable movie rather than getting them out, and no one cared in the slightest. If movies can get away with that, so should games. There's nothing wrong with allegory every now and again, but if games can represent something real then they should. But I'm thinking "United 93: The Official Game of the Movie" would be treated in a different way.