Erotic Thriller Catherine Gameplay Detailed, Remains Bizarre

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Erotic Thriller Catherine Gameplay Detailed, Remains Bizarre

In Catherine, players much scale a tower made of blocks and seek the wisdom of the man-sheep, and no, that's not made up.

A feature in Japanese videogame magazine Famitsu [http://www.famitsu.com/news/201012/11036563.html] has shed some light on the gameplay for Atlus' upcoming Xbox 360 and PS3 thriller, Catherine. As with pretty much everything about the game, it's probably not what you expect.

Catherine's gameplay is split up into three sections: Story, Adventure and Action. The story section appears to be the most straightforward, as it's largely just watching movies and handling any story events that pop up. The adventure part revolves around the Stray Sheep Bar, which has appeared in a number of trailers and other media for the game. According to Famitsu, this section will see lead character Vincent drinking, chatting with his friends and replying to his emails.

The action sections sound the most bizarre, as they're set in Vincent's recurring nightmare that he is being chased up a strange structure made of blocks. Each night, Vincent must scramble up this structure, moving blocks to make safe paths upwards and doing his best to avoid falling or stepping on any booby-trapped blocks. There are also exploding blocks to contend with, which detonate when stepped on and destroy any regular blocks in their blast radius. Famitsu suggests that players will be able to use exploding blocks to create new paths, although doesn't say whether the booby-trapped blocks will do anything other than skewer Vincent if he steps on them.

The eerie man-sheep from the trailers also have a part to play in Vincent's nightmares. Thankfully though, they're friends, rather than foes. If Vincent can reach them and talk to them, he can gain valuable insight when - or if - he wakes up.

I must admit, it's not what I was expecting from the "action" part of the game, but it looks like it could be interesting. There are at least six different levels to play though, with names like "The Torture Chamber" and "The Clock Tower," and there could be plenty more besides. It does clear up at least part of the mystery of what the player would actually be doing in the game, however, besides trying to manage having two girlfriends - one of whom may possibly be a demon.

Catherine is due to be released for Xbox 360 and PS3 on February 17th in Japan, and hopefully to the rest of the world not long after.

Source: via Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/10/catherine_action_part/]

Missing SHODAN

Jun 9, 2010
Huh.

I wasn't really sure what I was expecting, but this is definitely not something I would have guessed. It sounds interesting and weird, though, which in retrospect is exactly what I expect from Atlus.

Faulty Turmoil

Nov 25, 2009
Well... It's original. It could be pretty good.

But, coming from Japan, I have come to expect this kind of insanity/genius/WTF?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
I concur on that "Huh". At least it's not called something like "1... 2... 3... Kick It! (Drop That Beat Like An Ugly Baby)"[footnote]I did not make that up. [http://dejobaan.com/kickit/][/footnote], although judging from that description it may as well be.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
This game just keeps on getting weirder with each new piece of information about the thing we get. I love it already.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Stubee said:
Not was i was expecting! Could be cool though :)

BTW with this being released on the 360, do you think theres any chance Persona 5 will be on the 360 as well?
Doubtful. I think sony has nearly exclusive rights to the SMT Persona series. THough with the new console generation, and that there may not actualy BE a persona five, its really all up in the air at this point I suppose.

OT: This is going to be one mind-fuckingly good game. But thats just my opinion, because this sounds like all kinds of cool.

EDIT: I say there might not be because it may not happen States side. If Atlus keeps getting crazier with their games (more expressive, not crazy, thats a better word), then the US may not want thier audience to see it. Especially if Catherine leaves a bad taste in their mouths (though I dont htink it will. Though a European release... well... they usually get screwed by any release with the exception of Australia getting screwed by almost EVERY release, well, lets just say there may be a few unhappy European and Australian Atlus fans).

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Well its definately going to be an uniqute experience. Please bring it over to Europe Atlus. And don't censor anything either. Especially the box art, that is the best thing I've seen in ages.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
*Crosses finger and hopes it get's released in Europe*

Looks interesting. Though i thought you would battle the sheep men.

Oh well...

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Sounds genius... but I still don't think I'd play it even if it became available in the West. I still feel I should buy it even if I can't stand to play it, because this is so new, so interesting and so pushing the envelope of what people consider a 'video game', I have to give Atlus my support.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
OK, still trying to figure out how the buy/play this game without looking like a perv. Wear glasses. Prepare a speech on how I'm writing a dissertation revolving around its sexual themes.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
So it's a graphic adventure game with what seems like a half baked puzzle element. Oh, and there are "friendly" sheep in a game with erotic undertones - take that how you will. The game certainly sounds interesting.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Stubee said:
IF thats true, then why was Persona 3 Fes released on the PS2 AND 360? I'm pretty sure Atlus has a deal with sony to produce Persona series games. I dont think P5 will be on the 360, but thats just me, since its never been on a microsoft system.