New Parasite Eve Has Plot Tweaked to Include Shower Scene Fanservice

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Parasite Eve Has Plot Tweaked to Include Shower Scene Fanservice

The Square Enix movie team was apparently more than happy to create a shower scene so suggestive that it pushed The 3rd Birthday into a new rating bracket.

The 3rd Birthday, the third game in the Parasite Eve series, has had its plot tweaked to include a scene where lead character Aya Brea takes a shower, following overwhelming pressure from fans to include one.

The demands for a shower scene aren't completely random, as the last Parasite Eve game, Parasite Eve 2 had a short cinematic where Aya showered in her motel room after a long drive through the desert. When asked on Twitter back in August about whether The 3rd Birthday would include a similar scene, director Hajime Tabata said that it wouldn't, because there wasn't anywhere in the game for such a scene to go.

But motivated by countless tweets from fans, Tabata managed to find - or make - a place for a shower scene to go, even tweeting a still from it on the game's official Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/3rd_birthday/status/12921625389305856 ] feed. Speaking to Famitsu [http://www.famitsu.com/news/201012/11036794.html], Tabata said that he had initially been cautious about putting a shower scene in, as he wanted the game to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. Once he saw how many fans on Twitter wanted it, however, he relented and commissioned a shower cinematic from the Square Enix movie team. Art director Isamu Kamikokuryou said that usually any such request comes with a long discussion about budget and production time, but for this project, the team was more than happy to oblige, saying that it would make the movie, whether it got used or not.

There's nothing wrong with videogame characters being attractive or even outright sexy, but shoehorning in a shower scene for literally nothing other than fanservice is quite a few steps beyond just putting in some eye candy. Apparently, the scene is so suggestive that it raised the rating of the game in Japan to "CERO D," which is roughly equivalent to the ESRB's Mature, and the highest rating in Japan that isn't regulated by law.

The 3rd Birthday is scheduled for release on PSP later this month in Japan and early next year in North American and Europe.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/10/aya_brea_shower_scene/]

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
... Its time to bust it out again:

<spoiler=Epic facepalm>http://pic.phyrefile.com/n/na/narf/2010/06/14/facepalm.jpg

Really? The fans required this, so they caved and put it in? This is (one of the reasons) why video games are never taken as a serious medium. Because this happens. This is (to me) like the Soul Calibur V thing. The Soul group didnt want to make a SCV, but fans petitioned for a new one.

Message to fans: Let it go. There's a reason there's such things as FANFICTION!!!

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
To be fair, the fan's of games have whined for much worse things. At least this time we get to see a hot chick get naked.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
A lot of 3rd Birthday's story sound HERP DERP tier anyway. What's this about having a virus or something so they could keep a youthful character design?

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
You know, ive almost always been fine with fan service. As long as they dont make her act like some DOA hussy in the shower, i see no problem with it.

Besides. Its a nude chick! Whats wrong with nakid hotties on screen? The game wasnt geared to childern to begin with. An adult game can have adult themes all it wants! Even if it is just fan service!

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Man, imagine what would have happened if the fans instead demanded that Square-Enix makes a good game for once.
*ba-dum-tish*

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Stop with this "trying to appeal to as wide an audience as possible" things with games.

Because it always results in over-simplification.

That said, I really hope that Parasite Eve 1 and 2 come to the PSN store.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
TheAmazingHobo said:
Man, imagine what would have happened if the fans instead demanded that Square-Enix makes a good game for once.
*ba-dum-tish*
The end result would be Persona 4 OH SNAP.
Jiraiya72 said:
To be fair, the fan's of games have whined for much worse things. At least this time we get to see a hot chick get naked.
Like what?
OT: I wan't to sigh at this but I just don't fucking care at all. Really, I've only just got into he series but FUCK I REALLY DON'T CARE.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
TheAmazingHobo said:
*ba-dum-tish*
Then they'd release 4 Heroes of Light. Or TWEWY.

Which they did.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
I believe Jiraiya72's avatar about sums up my feelings on this. I really, really want sexuality to not be so utterly cheap in games.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
No one here played it of course so they don't know there was actually a shower Scene in 2 already.

The story goes Aya Brea was at an opera house when a woman went crazy and people started lighting on fire around her, she chased her and witnessed rats mutating. What's basically going on is a better told Resident Evil/super soldier storyline from what I gather (Still have to beat 2). Aya Brea is like the opera singer in the way that she now has abilities granted by her altered cells able to cast "spells" and she stays youthful, she's in her mid thirties but looks like she's in her early 20's.

It's all about biology, I've heard little on the story in this one but for all those saying a shower scene is goofy and whatever, they did it already and in 2 it was worked in just fine.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
No exaggeration, that is probably one of the stupidest things I've read all day.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some fan service every now and then, but altering the plot to insert a shower scene might be a little far. Or a lot far.

Oh well, don't challenge the rapid masses.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
So when's this coming out?

:p

Come on guys. How much will the plot need to be altered to include a shower scene? Not much is my guess. I don't know much about this, but I doubt it'll be ruined completely by one shower scene unless it's over 10 minutes long or something.

link_to_future said:
Oh well, don't challenge the rapid masses.
The extremely fast-moving mob of angry fans is coming to get us! :p

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Yeah for more reinforcement of gamers consisting of perverts and sociopaths.

TheSarcasterd

Nov 30, 2010
Ugh. Being that the original Parasite Eve is one of my favorite games of all times, and the sequel one that I hate...I can't believe this crap.

There's nothing in the content of the first parasite eve game that sexualizes Aya, aside from the art contained in the accompanying media. It makes it seem both cheap and disrespectful to Aya to turn her into a piece of meat for ogling and it's always annoyed me that they sunk to that level, particularly with the sequel. The pathetic sexualization of the games main character always brought it down rather than up.

The story is interesting enough to stand on its own merit. Dumbing it down in a way like this is really only going to piss off the series' real fans who don't have its hentai fan art saved on their hard drive.