Weta Workshop Builds Real Team Fortress 2 Sentry Gun

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Weta Workshop Builds Real Team Fortress 2 Sentry Gun

If you're at Valve HQ and turn a corner to find this sentry gun staring you in the face, turn around, quickly.

Design and effects studio Weta Workshop, known for its work on properties such as the Team Fortress 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Picture-Theatrical-Editions/dp/B000X9FLKM/ref=sr_1_9?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1292104999&sr=1-9] sentry gun at its headquarters.

Weta must have an Engineer working for it, but he's nowhere to be found in the video. The sentry gun is only level one, so it still needs to be upgraded to reach its full Gatling potential, but every aspect from its tripod base to the large red ammo box is spot on.

It works just like the virtual version of the sentry gun found in Team Fortress 2, with a motion sensor included that detects movement for aiming purposes. Valve decided to put it in the company lobby to annihilate any unwanted Scouts, Soldiers, Heavies, Demomen, Pyros, or people selling magazines.

The sentry gun isn't seen actually firing bullets, and instead has lights that imitate a muzzle flash. Valve and Weta claim that doesn't have the ability to kill anyone, but I know that I won't be going into Valve's lobby anytime soon without a cloak or disguise.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Oh, awesome!
.>
Can I get one? :p
Oh, and it has to be upgradable X3

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
This is possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen. I totally am asking Santa for one!

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Pfff. Only a Level 1 Sentry? All you need is a Heavy/Medic combo to take that bad boy down.

What Valve really needs is a hardhat Engineer in there with about 400 metal. Then they'll really be defending the secret release date of Half Life 2: Episode 3.

In all seriousness, that is a damn awesome piece of art, and I would love to have one of my own.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
These people wouldn't hire me because of a secrecy clause, but all that really meant was "No, we're having too much fun with the Valve Guys".... awwww. :(

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
Aur0ra145 said:
This is possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen. I totally am asking Santa for one!
I second this, that is seriously, seriously awsome stuff. I love the way it was "shooting" the guys setting it up too.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Some one should smack it with a wrench and see just how much work these guys put into that lil doohicky there!

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
This reeks of cool.

And, I wonder what it indicates? Valve/Weta video collaboration in the future? (Probably half-life 2 or Left 4 Dead rather than TF2, but either way I'd be excited!)

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
I don't even like TF2, but that is damn awesome! All Valve needs to do is load it up with some ammunition and they'll be ready to go.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
That's awesome... and if it ever gets damaged, all you have to do is violently and repeatedly swing a wrench in its general direction.

Say, WETA... what would it take for you to replace my hand (Or Gabe Newell's) with a Gunslinger? *casually slides $50 bill across the table*

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
ZOMG
DO WANT!

Seriously, Weta is awesome. They always make amazing things.

And, to reiterate... DO WANT.

RetroKid

Oct 11, 2010
The only way the could make this more awesome is to put a dispenser next to it and have someone dress up as a engineer to hide behind it

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Z of the Na said:
Pfff. Only a Level 1 Sentry? All you need is a Heavy/Medic combo to take that bad boy down.
Hah! A single rocket or grenade would do the trick.

Hell, even a lone Heavy could probably do it at full health.

Poor effort, Valve.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
....That is so fucking awesome.

Gahh! I want one! But why a level 1 sentry? It should have been a level 3...

Just imageine putting 5 of them infront of your lawn...

N3vans

Apr 14, 2009
That is amazing :D Like everyone else: WANT!

The chaps at WETA really make astounding props, didn't they make the Halo Warthog for that short film by Neil Blomkamp?

Luftwaffles

Apr 24, 2010
*tinfoilhat* Valve visiting a prop studio....which has many fantasy/scifi themed projects under their belt. Affiliated with one of the best directors too.... And in New Zealand....where they have nice pristine outdoors.... White Forest anyone?

Word of warning. Do not visit their website and browse the shop section. Those finely crafted...beautiful..awesome looking rayguns...