John Carmack Thought EA Was "Evil Empire"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
John Carmack Thought EA Was "Evil Empire"

In the wake of id Software's new deal with Electronic Arts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85004-E3-2008-EA-Turns-it-Up-to-11], John Carmack revealed that until recently, he thought of the publishing giant as an "Evil Empire."

In an interview with GameSpot [http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6193876.html] following the announcement that id's upcoming Rage would be published by EA Partners, Carmack said he initially had misgivings about choosing EA because of the company's past treatment of small studios, but was convinced to make the move after talking with other developers. "I'll admit that, if you asked me years ago, I still had thoughts that EA was the Evil Empire, the company that crushes small studios," Carmack said. "I'd have been surprised, if you told me a year ago that we'd end up with EA as a publisher."

"When we went out and talked to people, especially EA Partners people like Crytek [http://www.valvesoftware.com/] takes a different set, and we're probably taking a third set."

Whether the relationship between Doom 4 [http://www.idsoftware.com] in the not-too-distant future."

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
"I'll admit that, if you asked me years ago, I still had thoughts that EA was the Evil Empire, the company that crushes small studios,"

but ID isn't a small studio. i wonder why he would think of this observation as invalid when the other studio cited as an example is Valve. i'd imagine that ID and Valve are setting the terms in any arrangement they are in.

overall, it works in IDs favor since now Activision has to compete for their publishing now that EA is a viable Publisher for ID.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I hounestly think that EA now has a lot to offer Developers. You just have to look at the EA-Mythic relationship. Mythic was able to devote a lot more resources to their new title (Warhammer Online). Not to mention covering advertising and distribution costs etc.

I don't see how anyone can see EA as a bad entity now. They dont make the games, they just make them better. Who can hate that?

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Bretty said:
I hounestly think that EA now has a lot to offer Developers. You just have to look at the EA-Mythic relationship. Mythic was able to devote a lot more resources to their new title (Warhammer Online). Not to mention covering advertising and distribution costs etc.

I don't see how anyone can see EA as a bad entity now. They dont make the games, they just make them better. Who can hate that?
I do have to give Riccitiello props for moving EA more towards a publisher position, rather than a developer. It still develops in-house its bread-winning franchises, but it's really been pushing some other great third-party projects with nice budgets and time.

Pastey Old Greg

Jul 2, 2008
BallPtPenTheif said:
"I'll admit that, if you asked me years ago, I still had thoughts that EA was the Evil Empire, the company that crushes small studios,"
ID is actually a very small studio. Anything dealing with development is only done by teams of a few people, which is one of the reasons why Doom 3 took so long to create (even including time needed to make the game's engine).

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
Pastey Old Greg said:
BallPtPenTheif said:
ID is actually a very small studio. Anything dealing with development is only done by teams of a few people, which is one of the reasons why Doom 3 took so long to create (even including time needed to make the game's engine).
i wasn't talking about employee count or the square footage of their offices.

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Agreed. iD is about as influential as you get as a developer. No wonder they're getting special treatment from EA. If they pulled a Westwood on iD, there's be a bloody revolution.

Yes, I'm a cynic.
not at all

any publisher would hijack a project from a developer if they were drastically late on their milestones and the project was technically broken. it is usually publisher owned companies like that, which get deconstructed and shit canned.

if the developer isn't owned then the publisher just might take the game away and not pay them due to missing the last milestone. then they just have internal programmers salvage the game while the crappy developer either withers up and dies or cons some money out of another publisher for another title.

the only way a major publisher is scary, is if you are a newer development studio with an IP that is not technically difficult to execute. because they might just buy the IP, kick you to the curb, and pay somebody less to execute it or have their internal talent create it. (can you say Guitar Hero?)

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
"When we went out and talked to people, especially EA Partners people like Valve, we got almost uniformly positive responses from them,"

Valve seem to be made up of the friendliest people in the world. I'd imagine their office hands out free cupcakes and reassuring notes.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
PurpleRain said:
Valve seem to be made up of the friendliest people in the world. I'd imagine their office hands out free cupcakes and reassuring notes.
You're a VALVe fanboy... your opinion on this matter doesn't count. ;)

Gnomeking said:
Yesss... the greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he doesn't exist...
My opinion exactly... though I loved how Command and Conquer 3's turned out. I played a demo, and I must say that EA's done what ever publisher should do: assist their developer to make the best games they can.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
stompy said:
PurpleRain said:
You're a VALVe fanboy... your opinion on this matter doesn't count. ;)
Sadface

I've never seen Valve do anything bad to their fans or other companies. They're always saying nice things. When Yahtzee did his tour of their HQ they all seemed to ba having fun... all the time!

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
PurpleRain said:
I've never seen Valve do anything bad to their fans or other companies. They're always saying nice things. When Yahtzee did his tour of their HQ they all seemed to ba having fun... all the time!
... You're a fanboy, but your reasoning is logical... the end is nigh!