Pan's Labyrinth Director Triples the Videogame Insanity

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Pan's Labyrinth Director Triples the Videogame Insanity

It's not just a single game that Guillermo del Toro is working on with THQ, it's a whole media franchise.

It seems that THQ is rather confident about del Toro's as-yet unproven ability to make videogames, because the deal it's signed with the Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy director isn't just for one game, it's for a whole trilogy.

Del Toro will serve as an "external creative director," liaising with THQ's executive vice president of core games Danny Bilson, director of fiction development Paul DeMeo, and developer Volition. Besides the game trilogy, del Toro will work with THQ on various "transmedia" projects. The rights to the Insane property will be split between THQ and the filmmaker, with THQ owning the game IP, and del Toro owning the rights to any filmed media.

Del Toro said that he wanted to make his trilogy something that gamers had never seen before, and have them questioning their own morality at every turn. He added that THQ and Volition shared his vision, and were committed to making his "completely new game universe" a reality. Bilson said that del Toro was not only a gifted writer and director, but was also an avid gamer and that his unique vision would result in three rich, stunning games.

The first chapter of the Insane trilogy isn't expected until 2013, and with two more to follow it looks like we've got years and years of creepy, morality questioning to look forward to. This is provided that the games do well, of course, and you've got to assume there's a get-out clause in case they don't.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Hoping for a good psicologhical horror game, no FEAR 2 crap, screamers are NOT horror.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Well, I found the teaser trailer to be quite appealing, and it does hit all the right marks as far as intriguing psychological horror, but until we actually learn something about the game itself I'm hesitant to give this a thumbs up. At least the building blocks are there though.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Well fingers crossed; after Pan's Labyrinth it's hard to think something del Toro feels strongly about will turn out bad. If nothing else, he seems to put his heart in his work; hopefully that's translated well in a game environment.

I watch with curious anticipation.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Del Toro is definitely the man for the job, and I'll definitely be watching this sucker.
The only thing I'm questioning is his whole "questioning their own morality" could end up either very good, or very, very badly. What I mean is that the ESRB might be a punk if they question too much morality, then again I could just be overly skeptical because I just woke up.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I saw the trailer to this and it looks pretty intriguing. That, and the fact that it's del Toro, and he tends to do stuff that at the very least interests me. :p

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Man I loved Pan's Labyrinth. But there's a world of difference between a film and a game. Well, let's be... cautiously optimistic.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
to be fair, "Del Toro" haves GREAT concepts, he understand what makes a guy "tick" and will probably make one of the most interesting "morality choize" systems

aside from that, i dont know how he would convey his ideas into a medium where the audience actually IS enforcing its will into his work, interactivity doesnt bode well with a guy that is used to people sit and listen to him...

that said, i´ll look forward for his work, and the bizzarre creatures that will be in them

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
I hope this doesn't end up caught in the rift somewhere between movie and game, like something similar to Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, or Final Fantasy XIII. I mean, I liked those games but they could have been better.

Even so, I don't think it will. Del Toro is a very creative director, and I think he knows very well how to creep people out.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
It sounds like it could be a good plan. Considering how messed up that image from Pan's Labyrinth is, we can probably expect something really messed up coming from him in the future.

On another note... there is no way that I'm the only one who sees his name and immediately thinks that it's the guy from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Planning a trilogy is a little optimistic on their part I think. Don't get me wrong, I definitely believe del Toro has it in him to make an awesome game, but video games and movies are two entirely different media - not saying that it won't turn out awesome, just maybe they should wait until the first game gets a positive response before saying that it will be a trilogy.

Oh well either way, I have high hopes for this. If it turns out good it will be another step towards proving to the rest of the world that video games are as legitimate artistic medium.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009

NEVER FORGET

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Don't count your eggs yet, del Toro.

Just focus on the job at hand, and don't get too eager with your newly created IP.

Afterall, it might really suck.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Anyone else realize that the second Hellboy completely sucked?

I like all his other stuff, but that movie was terrible.

TriggerUnhappy

Mar 4, 2009
Tdc2182 said:
Anyone else realize that the second Hellboy completely sucked?

I like all his other stuff, but that movie was terrible.
Agreed. The biggest problem, was there was no sense of danger. No matter what happened, you knew Hellboy would be fine in the end.

Still, I really like del Toro, guy's got some imagination and I'm hesitant but excited to see what he'll make.

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
Seeing as PL was the FREAKIEST film i ever did see, i dont mindhim coming to our world.