Former Sony Exec Says "Foreigner" Bringing the Company Down

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Former Sony Exec Says "Foreigner" Bringing the Company Down

A former top level executive at Sony thinks that only local candidates should be considered to run the company.

Sony Corporation president, chairman, and CEO Howard Stringer has been with the company for more than a decade, and currently runs the whole show after first being hired as president of Sony's U.S. business. Former head of Sony's Vaio, home video, and personal audio divisions Koichiro Tsujino thinks it was a mistake to promote Stringer, who is noticeably not Japanese, to the top of a Japanese corporation simply because of his birthplace.

According to tweets by New York Times reporter Hiroko Tabuchi, Sony and the Welsh-born Stringer were criticized by Tsujino at a recent seminar in Tokyo. She tweeted that Tsujino said Sony "used to be innovative" but has now fallen behind in the technology field.

In the new "web era," Tsujino says that Sony has to get products out faster. He thinks that Sony is too used to perfecting a product before release, investing a huge amount of money in something that becomes "obsolete" once it hits the market. Ultimately, Tsujino says that Sony is reaching its "retirement age" and should probably "bow out" to help Japan's economy. Sick burns.

So what's the reason Sony is falling behind? At least partially because a non-Japanese citizen is running it, Tsujino said. He commented that Sony "should never have been run by a foreigner." Tsujino didn't elaborate with any juicy details, but did say that a "foreigner can't lead Sony back to its founding principles, which is rooted in the Japanese experience."

Earlier this year an unconfirmed report came out saying that Sony was looking to lighten Stringer's load, and possibly replace him, by promoting Sony Computer Entertainment president and CEO Kazuo Hirai to Sony corporate president. Stringer himself said he plans to stay with Sony as its CEO until 2013.

Relating Tsujino's comments to gaming, I wouldn't call the PS3 "obsolete," though it was a huge investment. Now it's chugging along just fine for itself, unlike the PSPgo which was basically dead on arrival. Maybe the PSP2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105958-Source-Compares-PSP2-to-Portable-PS3] will prove that Sony still has some tricks up its sleeve? Tsujino is referring to the entirety of Sony though, not just its entertainment division, and without specifics it looks like he's being a touch of racist here.

Source: Kotaku [http://twitter.com/HirokoTabuchi]

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
ahhh yes, the usual anyone not Japanese is an idiot stance. Which to be honest is quite a common stereotype from what ive seen from the Japanese.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Well I can say over the past decade hes been running Sony, the quality of everything they do has gone down the tubes. So this may not be all that inaccurate. Regardless of stereotypes and other PC BS.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Ahh, I was wandering where the good 'ole Japanese xenophobia went. Turns out it was hiding in Koichiro Tsujino the whole time. You mischievous xenophobia!

Antari said:
Well I can say over the past decade hes been running Sony, the quality of everything they do has gone down the tubes. So this may not be all that inaccurate. Regardless of stereotypes and other PC BS.
Yes because the PS2 and PS3, what pieces of shit they were. /sarcasm

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Bad CEO? Fair enough.

Bad CEO because he's a foreigner? Yeah, you're a cock.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Anyone else predicting some sort of major in-fighting at Sony?

Howard Stringer versus Koichiro Tsujino, in the battle for dominance over Sony.... THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

Runsta

Apr 6, 2010
Sony has been making a comeback. Since the early 2000s their stuff has sucked, its only been in the past 2 years that I have begun respecting them as a brand again.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Runsta said:
Sony has been making a comeback. Since the early 2000s their stuff has sucked, its only been in the past 2 years that I have begun respecting them as a brand again.
Yeah their stuff sucked. I mean the PS2 wasn't even the best selling console ever or anything. Oh wait...

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
I'm struggling to extract anything from that other than empty xenophobia.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Wow. I thought the whole "Japanese gaming is better than Western gaming" stance was limited to 15 year old weeboos. How wrong I was.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
When I first read the title, I thought they were going to complain about the band.
Oh well. And the innovative insult might have some truth to it...

Sep 14, 2009
Woodsey said:
Bad CEO? Fair enough.

Bad CEO because he's a foreigner? Yeah, you're a cock.
this.

and did he not check out the ps2? quite possible the best console ever made, for longevity and all that snazz

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Relating Tsujino's comments to gaming, I wouldn't call the PS3 "obsolete," though it was a huge investment.
I also wouldn't call it perfect upon release either.

And yeah, the comments do come off as a bit racist.

matrix3509 said:
Yes because the PS2 and PS3, what pieces of shit they were. /sarcasm
matrix3509 said:
Yeah their stuff sucked. I mean the PS2 wasn't even the best selling console ever or anything. Oh wait...
Yes because video game machines like the PS2 and PS3 are the only things Sony makes, they don't make things like laptops, TVs, phones, and countless other consumer electronics. Oh wait...
Plus I would indeed call the PS2 a piece of shit, at least at launch. Both the fat PS2 and slim PS2 both had major defects when they launched, what with the disc read errors and defects in the external power supply that may or may not light your house on fire. Quality products right there. Had some great games, yes, but holy hell the hardware was horrible.

Speaking of things lighting your house on fire, didn't Sony have a bunch of laptop batteries that ran the risk of exploding? What the hell was Tsujino talking about with that "they need to get stuff out faster and spend less time perfecting it?" It sounds like the exact opposite is needed: less rushing stuff to market, more making sure it works properly.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
A former top level executive at Sony thinks that only local candidates should be considered to run the company.
*Cue Japanese banjos*

Though this is far from exclusively a Japanese problem; there's a lot of nativism running amok on the planet these days. *sigh*

-- Steve