Killzone 3 Won't "Alienate" Non-3D, Non-Move Gamers

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Killzone 3 Won't "Alienate" Non-3D, Non-Move Gamers

Killzone 3 may be one of Sony's flagship titles to demonstrate its 3D gaming technology and the use of the Move, but developer Guerrilla doesn't want to shut core gamers out, either.

Sony has its hands in quite a few buckets at the moment, pushing the envelope in several directions. On the one hand, it has PlayStation Move, a technology that it would like to prove can work well in "hardcore" games as well as "casual" minigame collections. On the other it has 3D gaming, which - when combined with the expensive TVs and glasses necessary to make it work - has some gamers dubious that it will be anything truly new.

Guerrilla Games' Killzone 3 is, in many ways, Sony's highest-profile title designed to prove that both of these new technologies can work for gamers. Speaking with 1UP, however [http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?pager.offset=1&cId=3182759&p], Guerrilla's managing director Herman Hulst said that the developer didn't want to make gamers who weren't going to be using Move or 3D feel unwelcome.

"3D is a great feature, but it's an option to the game," said Hulst. "I don't want people who don't have 3D to have a suboptimal experience ... The same with Move. These things are options." That didn't mean he wasn't positive on the experience, of course. "They're great options. I think they're here to stay. Just like we moved from mono sound to stereo sound. You wouldn't want to go back after awhile. But you don't force people to buy another transistor radio ... [we] have to listen to the audience in that regard."

"[We] don't want to alienate the core audience."

Wise words, perhaps. Even if playing the game in 3D does "pull you into the action," mandating a $1000~ purchase for a full game experience doesn't seem like a wise idea.

Killzone 3 is of course the sequel to 2009's Killzone 2, which was one of the most highly-anticipated PS3 games of all time until it came out and everybody stopped caring like, a month later.

(1UP [http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?pager.offset=1&cId=3182759&p])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I heard the you can see snow melt off of your gun in Killzone 3...I wonder how that looks in 3d?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Good, I actually bought an expensive HD TV purely for my PS3 and by proxy "KillZone 2", which I'm thrilled with but I was expecting a longer life span from it than just 2 bloody years!

Killzone 2, which was one of the most highly-anticipated PS3 games of all time until it came out and everybody stopped caring like, a month later
Which is a shame, because the online is fucking solid.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I heard the you can see snow melt off of your gun in Killzone 3...I wonder how that looks in 3d?
Well you gotta have the Move for that because if you fill the Move with water, whenever the snow melts off the controller will excrete water upon your hands.

OT: It's good that they're not alienating us, but was the addition of 3D really necessary?

May 25, 2010
ColdStorage said:
Good, I actually bought an expensive HD TV purely for my PS3 and by proxy "KillZone 2", which I'm thrilled with but I was expecting a longer life span from it than just 2 bloody years!

Killzone 2, which was one of the most highly-anticipated PS3 games of all time until it came out and everybody stopped caring like, a month later
But the single player was horrible.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
ColdStorage said:

Why was it horrible?.

I enjoyed it, it was frenetic and stupidly good looking.

mairsil

Cowboy of Faith
Jun 5, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
ColdStorage said:

What? Sure it wasn't fantastic but calling it horrible is stupid. It was a solid game.
I was actually supporting the Helghast the whole time because those so called 'good guys' where all a bunch of morons....

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
mairsil said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
ColdStorage said:

What? Sure it wasn't fantastic but calling it horrible is stupid. It was a solid game.
I was actually supporting the Helghast the whole time because those so called 'good guys' where all a bunch of morons....
That's the interesting thing about Killzone, you play as the bad guys. The planet Helghan is practically the Warsaw Ghetto and you're tasked with clearing the place out once the Helghast began fighting back.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That last paragraph summed up my feelings on Killzone 2. I did not like it. None of the characters were interesting to me, the story was too generic for my taste, and the trailers advertised a completely different game. No, I don't mean the graphics were better. I mean that, in those awesomely pretty trailers, you were 1 soldier among hundreds. You were never alone, and you weren't the only thing the enemy was shooting at. How many times was it just Sev by himself? Most of the game. Bull.

3D in gaming needs to be Holo-deck level of technology before I'm interested. Otherwise, it seems like an expensive gimmick.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Huh, seems that nobody can talk about Killzone without taking a shot at it.

Still, looking forward to it. Looks more colorful than the last one.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
I liked the second one. Way better than any CoD game, except the 2nd and World at War, which is about on par.

If they improved the incredible MP from the second game this is a must own.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
megs1120 said:
That's the interesting thing about Killzone, you play as the bad guys. The planet Helghan is practically the Warsaw Ghetto and you're tasked with clearing the place out once the Helghast began fighting back.
Knowing the backstory of Killzone, I wouldn't pick out just one side to be the "bad" guys and one side to be the "good" guys. They're both equally kinda bad in their own ways.

Anyway I'm glad to hear that the game should still be good even with my regular HDTV and controllers.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
John Funk said:
Killzone 3 is of course the sequel to 2009's Killzone 2, which was one of the most highly-anticipated PS3 games of all time until it came out and everybody stopped caring like, a month later.
Ah, jeez, Funk, did you have to start something? C'mon man, you're better than that.

OT: That's good to hear. I personally really enjoyed Killzone 2, and I got a chance to play the Killzone 3 multiplayer beta and I was fairly impressed. My friend has a 3DTV, so I'm going to mooch off him and see how it is in 3D anyway.

Mar 26, 2008
Jumplion said:
John Funk said:
Ah, jeez, Funk, did you have to start something? C'mon man, you're better than that.
You can't censor the truth. Good or not it was crushed under the weight of its own hype.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Devs should probably be wholly focused on making as best a game they can with the Move, if they actually succeed in making a good game it would really be beneficial for Sony and its constituents. However, this would be very risky and since I'm sure that Sony knows motion controls have no long term prospects, barring some major innovation and luck, I predict that the split focus will result in a game that people will be more comfortable playing with a controller they are familiar with and that Move won't become competitive because of Killzone 3.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Jumplion said:
John Funk said:
You can't censor the truth. Good or not it was crushed under the weight of its own hype.
I dunno, I'm fairly sure that plenty of people continued playing it after 1 month. Most games are "crushed" by their own hype in some form. And even if it was somehow "true", it's going to start a lil' somethin'-somethin' right now anyway.