ER's Mekhi Phifer Recruited to The Torchwood Institute

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
ER's Mekhi Phifer Recruited to The Torchwood Institute

American actor Mekhi Phifer is headed to Cardiff to join the Torchwood team.

Doctor Who offshoot Torchwood is beginning production on its fourth season, and bringing in some new blood. Joining John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness) and Eve Myles (Gwen Cooper) will be American actor Mekhi Phifer. Phifer will play CIA agent Rex Matheson, described by Deadline as, "a fast-tracked high-flyer with a lethal sense of humor who starts to feel his mortality when his life is put in danger." It's always when your life's in danger when you start to feel your mortality, isn't it?

Phifer's previous television credits include Curb Your Enthusiasm and six years on the medical drama ER. Currently, he's appearing on the Fox procedural drama Lie To Me. Also new to the cast for Season 4 is Arlene Tur (Crash), who will play surgeon Vera Juarez.

The Starz channel is co-producing the upcoming season with the BBC, which will allow the series to air on both networks and bring the Torchwood glory to both sides of the Atlantic.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/mekhi-phifer-set-as-a-lead-on-torchwood/]

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Wow, they kept season 4 production hush hush.
I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out, but I would have been quite happy leaving it at season 3.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I thought Torchwood ended after that Children of Earth thing where
Harkness left Earth after killing his daughters son.

Still, glad to see its coming back. I wasn't getting enough John Barrowman in my life.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
After the abortion that was Children of Earth, I don't know that they can resurrect my interest in this series, Mekhi or not.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
bleachigo10 said:
The new series could take place a few years in the future, giving him time put it behind him (and for the upheaval on Earth to pass). Alternately, Harkness could be gone for a few centuries and get kicked backwards in time.

bleachigo10 said:
Still, glad to see its coming back. I wasn't getting enough John Barrowman in my life.
Yes! I need more sexy in my life.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
I might be able to watch this if jack was not an omnisexual. I just find it too disturbing.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
bleachigo10 said:

Yeah, I thought that was a really strong ending to go out on, and a pretty definite end. Seems the BBC have other ideas... Its a good series though, so I have no qualms with them bringing it back for a new series.

Random Name 4

Oct 23, 2010
TaboriHK said:
After the abortion that was Children of Earth, I don't know that they can resurrect my interest in this series, Mekhi or not.
If by abortion you mean a fantastic dark sci-fi story that took all the good parts of Torchwood and ran with it, being one of the best British dramas of the year and in many ways better than a lot of the episodes of its parent show.

Then yes, it is an abortion

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Random Name 4 said:
TaboriHK said:
If by abortion you mean a fantastic dark sci-fi story that took all the good parts of Torchwood and ran with it, being one of the best British dramas of the year and in many ways better than a lot of the episodes of its parent show.

They spent the series pumping up Jack as this unstoppable force, and what does he do? Absolutely nothing. They talk about what a mistake it is to mess with him, but in the end, was it? He didn't save anyone. He talks about going to war, and the second they off you know who, he's crying and taking it back. Their character killing gimmick was cheap, and in the end, I found almost none of the characters to be believable. The scene where they moved the children down the street was ridiculously amateurish in visual execution. The resolution felt rushed and utterly uninspired. It was some of the least enjoyable television I have watched in a long time, and I'm a big time sci fan.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
How come Eve Myles' character is coming back? I thought her story was done, what with her now being happily married etc etc

Quiet Stranger said:
What happened to the other members of Torchwood? or are they still dead?
Probably still written off, unless Owen comes back as the king of weevils or something.

Commander Breetai said:
Torchwood is basically a sci-fi show except they stop every few minutes to remind people that they like being on top and bottom.
Hah, too true. Though I always thought this was one of the elements that made the show hilarious. Especially when you add Barrowman to the mix.

Apr 17, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Well yeah

_Janny_ said:
How come Eve Myles' character is coming back? I thought her story was done, what with her now being happily married etc etc

Quiet Stranger said:
Probably still written off, unless Owen comes back as the king of weevils or something.
Gwen's been happily married since the middle of the second season and that didn't stop them using her in Children of Earth

And how could Owen come back? He got vaporised, that's pretty permanent. Alright, so's being shot and he got better from that, but still...

Random Name 4

Oct 23, 2010
TaboriHK said:
Random Name 4 said:
TaboriHK said:

They spent the series pumping up Jack as this unstoppable force, and what does he do? Absolutely nothing. They talk about what a mistake it is to mess with him, but in the end, was it? He didn't save anyone. He talks about going to war, and the second they off you know who, he's crying and taking it back. Their character killing gimmick was cheap, and in the end, I found almost none of the characters to be believable. The scene where they moved the children down the street was ridiculously amateurish in visual execution. The resolution felt rushed and utterly uninspired. It was some of the least enjoyable television I have watched in a long time, and I'm a big time sci fan.
The whole point is that Jack isn't an unstoppable force, he's human (sort of). The whole point of Torchwood partly is that there is no doctor, no easy answers or last minute solutions that save everyone. And Jack saved millions of children, not "no one", and messing with him led to their deaths

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Random Name 4 said:
The whole point is that Jack isn't an unstoppable force, he's human (sort of). The whole point of Torchwood partly is that there is no doctor, no easy answers or last minute solutions that save everyone. And Jack saved millions of children, not "no one", and messing with him led to their deaths
But that's just it: he's not human. Unless he's supposed to be the worst of humanity all distilled into one character. If he's a metaphor for what's wrong with humanity, then it's brilliant. But I don't think he was written with that in mind. He marches children to an ignoble end like a Nazi, and in the end, when it has been shown that not only is the cycle going to repeat, but the third time they come around they will in all likelihood ask for even MORE astronomical figures of kids, instead of finding a way to solve the problem for good instead of delay it, he essentially kills his own grandson. He failed utterly, and he proved once again the Torchwood as an organization is utterly valueless.

This is not even taking into account the ridiculous gunplay, but I let that go on the assumption that a country that put the kibosh on guns probably wouldn't be well-versed on how they can be used.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
OH MY FUCKING GOD, TORCHWOOD IS GETTING A FOURTH SEASON?!

*head explode*

I'm looking forward to this. While I didn't get into the series till I saw Children of Earth, I enjoyed it more afterwards.

Nice to have a reason to watch BBC America again.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
TaboriHK said:
Random Name 4 said:
But that's just it: he's not human. Unless he's supposed to be the worst of humanity all distilled into one character. If he's a metaphor for what's wrong with humanity, then it's brilliant. But I don't think he was written with that in mind. He marches children to an ignoble end like a Nazi, and in the end, when it has been shown that not only is the cycle going to repeat, but the third time they come around they will in all likelihood ask for even MORE astronomical figures of kids, instead of finding a way to solve the problem for good instead of delay it, he essentially kills his own grandson. He failed utterly, and he proved once again the Torchwood as an organization is utterly valueless.

This is not even taking into account the ridiculous gunplay, but I let that go on the assumption that a country that put the kibosh on guns probably wouldn't be well-versed on how they can be used.
I can't comment on the whole 3rd season as I found the first 15 minutes so unbearable I had to turn it off. The end of season 2 was awful for me but I tried giving the third a go. Losing such a chunk of the cast was daft and now there's only 2 of them left???