Perfect Gift for Your Grandma: FarmVille for Dummies

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Perfect Gift for Your Grandma: FarmVille for Dummies

Just in case you were stumped on how to download Zynga's FarmVille or best annoy your friends on Facbook, this book has got you covered.

First off, I am in no way implying that your Grandma is a dummy. But she may still want this book. Sure, FarmVille boasted over 80 million users at one point this year, and even though the hype has cooled down, that doesn't mean that publishers still can't try to cash in on the game's popularity. FarmVille for Dummies tells you everything that you need to know but were afraid to ask your technically savvy grandson for fear that he'd call you a dummy. Now you can enjoy that insult by purchasing a book that purports to be for people like you. FarmVille for Dummies is listed on Amazon [http://www.amazon.com/FarmVille-Dummies-Angela-Morales/dp/1118016963], but won't be released until February 2011, so it's not even a holiday gift-buying trap for that FarmVille enthusiast on your list.

The frustrating part of a book like FarmVille for Dummies is that FarmVille was specifically designed to be as accessible as possible. All of the information that you need to play the game is right there in front of you, which was integral to Zynga's design. If you go offline to look up hints or clues, then that's less time that you spend tending your crops and sending messages to your Facebook wall.

But that's exactly what FarmVille for Dummies claims to do. A book that's major selling point is telling you how to get the game to work on your computer or phone is just crazy. I'm going to go out on a limb here: Anyone who needs to find out how to "install" Facebook by reading a book probably will never play FarmVille.

Despite my objections, FarmVille for Dummies will probably still sell a million copies. People will buy it for their friends who play FarmVille or players will buy it to entice others into game. "See how easy it is to download the application? All you have to do is read this book and press this button."

Hell, maybe I should buy it for [user]Steve Butts[/user]. His farm is looking rather bleak...

Source: Amazon.com [http://www.amazon.com/FarmVille-Dummies-Angela-Morales/dp/1118016963]

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Finally, a book that will tell me how to download the game to my computer machine so I can get the power up and win the game.

Hopefully, it has a section on how to breathe, because I kinda forgot how.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Another thing to Yahtzees list of things like Beatles Rock Band.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
So... it's just Farmville?

/witty banter

Starkiller8965 said:
when ever i see something about farmville i think of this
Huzzah! Another follower of Tobuscus and his entertaining exploits!

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Yeah, this is just what the world needs, more money in Zynga's dishonest pockets.

P.S. Thanks

xavierxenon

Aug 10, 2009
Wait just a minute, I saw a demotivational poster about that book and thought it was just photoshopped or something but now I'm told its actually real?! Thats just sad.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I'm at least half certain that this'll turn out to be a parody. The book, that is, not this report on it. Maybe the report too? Maybe everything is just a parody wrapped in a joke swathed in a mockery loving encased in a fond ribbing.

...but yeah: I've never heard of Angela Morales, but I know of Kyle Orland from his occasional writing for Eurogamer. Interesting. (EDIT: Apparently he wrote some articles for The Escapist back in the day. Slightly before my time, but there they are if you search for 'em. That is, of course, assuming it's the same guy. It's an uncommon enough name that I'm happy making the assumption.)

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
I would get it just to piss off my friends when i whip it at them!
even though the game tells you everything, they still need a book. That is the funniest part!

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
But if they're reading the book, how will they be playing Farmville?!

Covarr said:
Yeah, this is just what the world needs, more money in Zynga's dishonest pockets.

P.S. Thanks
Who said Zynga were writing it?

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Tim Latshaw said:
binvjoh said:
What if she can't read? Is there an audio version?
Then you start her on "Farmville for Dummies for Dummies." It's a pop-up book.
They re-called those. They found out the edges were too sharp.

Zyng! (Double Zing!)

Kyle Orland

Nov 7, 2006
@Ophiuchus: I can confirm that I am the same Kyle Orland who wrote for The Escapist way back when, and that the book is not a parody or a joke or anything.

@Covarr: The book doesn't put any money in Zynga's pockets... at least not directly. It's being published by Wiley, the people who publish all the Dummies books, with no official input or cooperation from Zynga.