Ooh, Baby Baby!

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Ooh, Baby Baby!

In this context, Salt ?N Pepa?s ?Push It? is incredibly, if grotesquely, appropriate.

Read Full Article

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
ROCK ME GENTLY, ROCK ME SL--Oh wait, wrong song.

Interesting article, but something in particular only slightly related strikes me: I just now noticed that the thing Padme's on had her almost reclining backwards. Wouldn't that have all but assured her death?

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I wasn't a fan of the Doctor's daughter myself, the bit with the gun and the murderer wasn't that interesting for me, it was obvious he wasn't going to shoot so for me it wasn't "omg, character development" so much as "Doctor, we all know you're not actually going to shoot so can you just stop pissing about and put the gun down so that we can get on with the episode?"

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
good thing she didn't mentioned the one at the end of Highlander: the Source

also, quite an interesting read, may I say

aldowyn

Mar 1, 2010
Seen 4 of 5, and no clue how I missed #5 ("The Doctor's Daughter)

All pretty important, I'd say! Though the end of Angel got seriously strange...

I came to the article expecting another parody of Justin Bieber, but this was better. (Unless, of course, it was something as awesome as "Banelings")

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
One thing I realised about Padme's death in Episode III (I'm sure I'm not the first to realise it though) is that she dies because she's "Lost the will to live". So she doesn't give a shit about her two children who were literally just born? Is that not a reason to live? She always struck me as a caring person, but obviously not.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
First of all, that fucking Alia Atreides!!! *shaking fist*

Also, why was Jenny "born" with makeup and leather pants? I had no visual objections, but this really bothered me throughout the episode. Also, I was wondering if the Doctor was ever secretly conflicted with Jenny's appearance. Jenny is beyond hot and the Doctor, at first, wouldn't recognize her as his "daughter".......

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Nice article! That said... I do have some thoughts...

I'm probably going to come across as hideous and unfeeling but I'm glad Jenny's (sorta) dead!
That's right!! Mediocre episode, although not without its better moments... But she was just... woeful! Too chirpy and bubbly, annoying, rather thick (ok, ok, she's five minutes old) but... UGH. It doesn't really make sense... They used only the Doctor's DNA.. which would imply that she'd be a clone, rather screwy at the best of times, what with all that Regeneration stuff going on, but why is she blonde?

I'll tell you- she's (the actress) is actually the Fifth Doctor's daughter. Pulling in favours? Yup. Can she act? Nope.

I would have far, far, far more enjoyed an episode dealing with all those hints of the family the Doctor left behind on Gallifrey... In the very first season, he was in a pretty old incarnation and he had a GRAN-daughter. Which would imply he a had a Time Lady at some point, Time-kids and therefore... you get where I'm going with this.
Totally cocked up opportunity, if you ask me. Don't get me started on that buffoon that follows her around.

Moving on to victim number two.

Finally. She shuts the hell up! Goodbye Padmé! Amidala! Whatever the hell your name is!
Terrible queen, crappy public speaker, failed general and ineffectual but loud and annoying Senator. Natalie... you're better than this!! And if you didn't want anything to happen with you and the psycho from Tatooine, why did you wear the tightest, most revealing leather halter-neck your slave seamstresses could make??

Ok, rant over. Any mother that so blithely gives up while they've just heard their babies' first cries in the world is either a terrible person, or is mentally and emotionally broken.
George totally screwed his continuity by having Luke remember nothing of his mother, but Leia specifically having some memories and before you shout at me that it was Bail Organa's wife- NO.
Leia remembers her mother as being very sad. Why would Mrs. Organa be sad? She has a beautiful baby girl, a good husband and lives on a gem of a world? (I would totally go skiing on Alderaan) It makes far more sense if Leia had been in her real mother's keeping at least until she died on Alderaan. Far, far safer to have the mother with the newborn infant, surely?
Luke sadly, would not have that, but you know... He has Ben Kenobi for a bit then his aunt and uncle (who turns into a really shitty uncle over the years, doesn't he? Lying to him FFS)

Anyway, I think the twins' birth which was about to be an amazing scene for me.. was then marred by mawkish sentimentality where it should have been about what the twins represent- A NEW HOPE!

Pardon the caps.

cabalistics

May 4, 2009
The worst thing about Luke and Leia's birth is the droid muttering soothing gibberish and then producing some kind of baby scooping spatula.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Luke and Leia's birth not only marks the beginning of their epic journey, but the end of Episodes I, II, and III, and that's the best birthday present any child of a Jedi and a Senator could ever want.
Fantastic zinger to end with a fine read :D

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Connor was one of the, if not the, most annoying characters in the entirety of television. He ruined all of season 4 for me, which should have been an incredible season.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
Luke and Leia's birth not only marks the beginning of their epic journey, but the end of Episodes I, II, and III, and that's the best birthday present any child of a Jedi and a Senator could ever want.
Fantastic zinger to end with a fine read :D
I concur.

This was a fun read, I had no idea so many babies appeared on TV.

Speaking of which, just to kinda troll,

Feystar

Jun 19, 2010
As we know from episodes IV, V & VI, Leia knew her real mother and Obi Wan didn't know of the second child. So what on earth possessed George Lucas to make Padme die at child birth and have Obi Wan not only present for both births but actually discuss with Senator Organa and Yoda where the children should end up? Oh well, I still enjoy all 6 films, I guess that'll have to do.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Fun fact: the actress who played Jenny in Doctor Who played a far more interesting 'daughter of main character' in another series. Oh, and need I mention that she's the IRL daughter of previous Doctor, Peter Davison? Y'all surely know that by now.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Feystar said:
As we know from episodes IV, V & VI, Leia knew her real mother and Obi Wan didn't know of the second child. So what on earth possessed George Lucas to make Padme die at child birth and have Obi Wan not only present for both births but actually discuss with Senator Organa and Yoda where the children should end up? Oh well, I still enjoy all 6 films, I guess that'll have to do.
I don't recall Obi-wan not knowing about Leia. He didn't tell Luke, but when he tells Luke that "your sister remained safely anonymous," it sounded like he had been there for at least the discussion.

cabalistics said:
The worst thing about Luke and Leia's birth is the droid muttering soothing gibberish and then producing some kind of baby scooping spatula.
Oobah. Oooooobah. OOOOOBAH.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Small but significant point the Doctor travelled with his granddaughter long before his daughter was ever, uh created? I win the missive geek prize.

Feystar

Jun 19, 2010
Vohn_exel said:
Feystar said:
I don't recall Obi-wan not knowing about Leia. He didn't tell Luke, but when he tells Luke that "your sister remained safely anonymous," it sounded like he had been there for at least the discussion.
In The Empire Strikes Back as he and Yoda watch Luke leave Dagobah he says that Luke is the last hope, but Yoda informs him that there is another, indicating that up until that point only Yoda knew.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Feystar said:
Vohn_exel said:
Feystar said:
In The Empire Strikes Back as he and Yoda watch Luke leave Dagobah he says that Luke is the last hope, but Yoda informs him that there is another, indicating that up until that point only Yoda knew.
I never took that as him not knowing about Leia, but that he merely didn't expect her to go out and fight the Empire as a Jedi. I think Luke was supposed to be 19 or so when he Tatooine, and he had been training since then to be a Jedi. Leia had spent that time doing...rebel leading thingies, and had NO experience as a Jedi.

If she'd started at ROTJ training, it'd take another five or so years for her to get where Luke was at(I think the three movies cover five years, I can't remember exactly.) By that time, the second Death Star would be completed and everything that hinged on Luke being awesome would've passed. Yoda, IMO, had more faith in Leia than Obi-wan did.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Vault Citizen said:
I wasn't a fan of the Doctor's daughter myself, the bit with the gun and the murderer wasn't that interesting for me, it was obvious he wasn't going to shoot so for me it wasn't "omg, character development" so much as "Doctor, we all know you're not actually going to shoot so can you just stop pissing about and put the gun down so that we can get on with the episode?"
It would have been more of a character development point if he'd blown the fucker's head off.
I mean seriously, they started making Tennant's Doctor appear to be becoming a bit of a power-hungry badass, this could have been the perfect start to that chain of events that never really continued. He started fucking with set things in time and then immediately stopped. Which sucked.