[UPDATE] BioWare Denies Multiplayer for Mass Effect 3

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
[UPDATE] BioWare Denies Multiplayer for Mass Effect 3

Multiplayer has been rumored as a new feature for Mass Effect 3, but a recent BioWare comment seems to deny the possibility.

revealed [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Mac/dp/B004FYKWZU/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1292430381&sr=1-3] at the 2010 Spike TV VGAs, with just enough information to whet our appetites. Shepard is back, the Reapers are back, and Earth is in deep trouble, but what about that rumored multiplayer mode? According to BioWare, it might not be happening.

Rumors started flying about a multiplayer Call of Duty [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-Pc/dp/B00140P9BA/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1292430588&sr=1-5]'s multiplayer gameplay with the Mass Effect universe.

On the BioWare forums, moderator Pacifen may have confirmed that Mass Effect 3 won't have a multiplayer mode as previously rumored. In closing a thread, she wrote: "Now that Mass Effect 3 has been officially announced, I return to the age-old response to this topic: Mass Effect 3 is a single-player game. Thank you."

If you were expecting a future reveal of a new multiplayer segment for Mass Effect, it doesn't look like it's going to happen in Mass Effect 3. Of course, this could mean that the rumors simply refer to another game that is still under lock and key, because BioWare has said that Mass Effect won't disappear [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97642-Mass-Effect-Will-Return-After-Trilogy-Ends] after Shepard's third game. He could return someday for some lighthearted arena-based combat, but for now it looks like his primary focus is saving Earth.

Update: According to a BioWare representative, this may have been a moderator overstepping her bounds. The moderator apparently should have written "BioWare does not comment on rumors," instead of hinting that Mass Effect 3 doesn't have multiplayer, and the post shouldn't be taken as definitive fact. Could this mean that the game will feature Mass Effect deathmatch after all?

Source: CVG [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/5461124]

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Oh thank god, that was actually something I was worried about.
Good to see they're pouring all their Mass Effect resources into making a kick ass single player game.

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
why would i care about Multiplayer ?
one of the greatest things about Mass effect was that its one of those few games out there that remembers that some people don't WANT to have multiplayer in a game because it tends to lead designers to skimp out on the REAL game (the single player).

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Good. I wouldn't be against multiplayer set in the Mass Effect universe (a Mass Effect MMO with real-time combat is my impossible fantasy - players all forming crews, buying ships, and going on adventures a la Firefly), but if it was in Mass Effect 3 I would have been worried about the direction the trilogy was taking.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I'm glad its going to stay Single Player for the most part, as I detest co-op and multiplayer, but I think there's plenty of room for Multi-Player Gameplay outside of the main game. Like a Co-Op Mode that involves the defense of Earth against the forces of the Reapers, that would be pretty good and could be a neat way of exploring an element of the story that might not be fully touched on in Shepard's epic final battle.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Oh thank God! I freaking hate it when they tag on multi-player just to cater to the moronic FPS fans that are choking out other genres, compared to FPS games how many RPGs (not JRPGs), and RTS games have come out this year? Bugger all!

Mass Effect is one of my favourite game series and I wasn't looking forward to see development time wasted on multiplayer bullshit when it could be better spent on more content for the single player game.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
RatRace123 said:
Oh thank god, that was actually something I was worried about.
Good to see they're pouring all their Mass Effect resources into making a kick ass single player game.
Very true. I don't think they'd waste resources making ME3 have any multiplayer. They'll do it right and then make another game set in the ME universe that will have multiplayer.

RabbiiFrystofsk

Oct 10, 2010
mechanixis said:
MMO with real-time combat is my impossible fantasy - players all forming crews, buying ships, and going on adventures a la Firefly), but if it was in Mass Effect 3 I would have been worried about the direction the trilogy was taking.
Sounds like Eve bro.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Here's my question, albeit one that is slightly off-topic- the Reapers are supposed galactic threat, with the ability to wipe out several trillion beings in mere decades. They have technology far beyond that of any known race in the Mass Effect universe, and they have the capability to cripple intergalactic Government in seconds.

So why are they solely attacking Earth in Mass Effect 3?

It just doesn't make sense that they'd target a specific race instead of the whole galaxy- especially when they can purge the Citadel, and hence the head of all organization in the Galaxy, with relative ease. What about that whole "darken the skies of every world" idea? It just seems from my end that BioWare are dumbing down and nerfing the Reapers; which is hard to do after... Well... We all know Mass Effect 2's ending will be harder to top in terms of stupid.

On another note; ever since Mass Effect 2, it seems the focus of the player's actions is less about the Galaxy as a whole, and more about humanity... Which contradicts the original premise of Mass Effect. Y'know... The whole save the galaxy and work with everyone. I thought the big thing about the first Mass Effect was the exploration of worlds and cultures, and the insight into the Galaxy. Now... It just seems all about humans. And human's are boring.

I'm pretty concerned that Mass Effect 3 is going to be stupid... And that'll be a stretch, after my scorn of Mass Effect 2's story.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
On the BioWare forums, moderator Pacifen may have confirmed that Mass Effect 3 won't have a multiplayer mode as previously rumored. In closing a thread, he wrote: "Now that Mass Effect 3 has been officially announced, I return to the age-old response to this topic: Mass Effect 3 is a single-player game. Thank you."
Actually, the correct response for one of our forum moderators is "BioWare doesn't comment on rumors."

Edit: Which is to say that BioWare did not say any of this.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Good, the main fan base does not want multiplayer in Mass effect 3 and I have to agree. I don't hate the idea of a multiplayer Mass Effect game, but I'd like to see the triligy end before we see Mass Effect: Brotherhood.

(Get the joke?)

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
RabbiiFrystofsk said:
mechanixis said:
MMO with real-time combat is my impossible fantasy - players all forming crews, buying ships, and going on adventures a la Firefly), but if it was in Mass Effect 3 I would have been worried about the direction the trilogy was taking.
Sounds like Eve bro.
Eve is just a math class with spaceships in the background.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
CosmicCommander said:
So why are they solely attacking Earth in Mass Effect 3?

1. They're not.

The Reapers wipe out all civilised worlds when they come for their little visits.

2. It makes sense they target Earth first...

... as it is a human who has been pissing them off and screwing with their plans the most.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Good, the main fan base does not want multiplayer in Mass effect 3 and I have to agree. I don't hate the idea of a multiplayer Mass Effect game, but I'd like to see the triligy end before we see Mass Effect: Brotherhood.

(Get the joke?)
dohohoho you so funny

I would like co-op in my Mass Effect.

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Well thank Christ that's been dealt with! Now can Shepard get back to saving the galaxy? Multiplayer can wait till Mass Effect Arena or MMO.

Blood Countess

Oct 22, 2010
Thank the fucking gods another good game not ruined cause all they focused on was multiplayer like they have done with so many other games