Notch Helps Humble Indie Bundle #2 Earn $500,000 in One Day

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Notch Helps Humble Indie Bundle #2 Earn $500,000 in One Day

The second Humble Indie Bundle has already smashed the success of the first, with the help of a notable game developer.

After just one day of availability, Humble Indie Bundle #2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106100-Get-Into-the-Holiday-Spirit-With-the-Humble-Indie-Bundle-2] has broken all sorts of sales records. The five game pay-what-you-want bundle netted over $500,000 in 24 hours, beating out the previously incredible sales pace of the original package.

The first $1 million in a week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100451-Get-Five-Great-Indie-Games-for-Any-Price-You-Want].

The second Humble Indie Bundle is set to break that amazing record, thanks to almost 70,000 purchases as of this writing at an average of $7.18 each. Interestingly, the Humble Indie Bundle's stats page gives the average purchase price for each platform, showing that Mac users currently pay around $2 more per bundle ($8.11) than Windows users ($5.96), and Linux users are the most generous with an average of $13.57.

What really helped push Humble Indie Bundle #2 over the edge in a day were its larger contributors, which appear to include Minecraft developer Marcus "Notch" Persson. The stats page also shows the bundle's top 10 donors, with "@notch" currently sitting at the top of the list with a donation of $2,000. Others on the list are using it as an opportunity for advertising, which feels a little scummy, but at least they're donating money to a good cause.

Humble Indie Bundle #2 has already done up another $5,000 in the time I've been writing this, so you can bet that the second effort is really going to break the bank. With the bundle's inclusion of Braid, Cortex Command, Machinarium, Osmos, and the debut of Revenge of the Titans for any price, and the addition of charity support, that's not really a surprise. So when is Humble Indie Bundle #3 coming out?

Source: Humble Indie Bundle [http://www.humblebundle.com/]

Oct 14, 2010
I wish we had the figures on how many people pay a buck or less for this bundle. A list of addresses would also be nice.

Man, why does it always come back to the Jay & Silent Bob smackdowns with me on these things?

EDIT: It was not my intention to offend anyone who can only afford to pay a certain amount for the bundle, nor set a threshold for how a good donation or bad donation is defined.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Tim Latshaw said:
I wish we had the figures on how many people pay a buck or less for this bundle. A list of addresses would also be nice.

Man, why does it always come back to the Jay & Silent Bob smackdowns with me on these things?
Don't hurt me! I paid $5!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Aww man, I would totally buy it... but besides that whole Revenge thing, nothing looks interesting. Played Braid already, wasn't impressed, already have Osmos, and the rest is just not interesting.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Notch is my fucking hero.

First with Desert Bus for Hope, now the Humble Indie Bundle.

The guy is not only successful, humble but charitable and all around awesome.

Also Tim, don't be so quick to discount the people giving a dollar as it quickly adds up. Very recently Introversion was saved from bankruptcy by selling their entire catalog for only a $1.25 each on Steam.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103008-Steam-Promotion-Saves-Introversion-From-Death

As for me, I didn't "Pay" anything, I "donated" to a good cause which I think is what the Humble Indie bundle is truly all about. IE: Showing ones support, be that for Indie Development, the EFF, Childsplay or events like the Humble Indie Bundle.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
More importantly, when is it coming out on Steam? I want all my games in a neat list!

But... yah. Everyone go and buy it. Indie developers are awesome.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Yay really weird website glitches.

The site popped up that I had to agree to the terms and services yet again... and then it didn't post my post so I figured it was lost to the elder gods of the internets and typed it out again only to post and then TA DA! Out of no where my first post appears.

Oh well.

No indication has been made yet that the Humble Indie Bundle 2 will be on Steam, but with Valve honoring the Humble Indie Bundle 1 on Steam I would figure they would know about the Humble Indie Bundle 2 and there would have been some talks about doing the same again.

All we can do is wait.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Tharwen said:
More importantly, when is it coming out on Steam? I want all my games in a neat list!

Not sure if any time soon. I just recently (last week) got a serial number for Steam to add the first humble bundle.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Abedeus said:
Tharwen said:

Not sure if any time soon. I just recently (last week) got a serial number for Steam to add the first humble bundle.
As did I, my Humble-Indie-Bundle-1-buying comrade!

Unfortunately, I'd already played all of the first games by then and had to either lose my save files or not use Steam.

I chose Steam.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Sober Thal said:
Tim Latshaw said:

I paid $1. Is that a problem?

I have no interest in these games really, I already own Braid, and the others didn't seem like anything special. I hope to be pleasantly surprised tho.
If such is the case, then share the bundle with your friends. Put it up on Facebook, tell people about it, share it on Twitter, just put the word out there.

The Word of mouth will be worth far more than your $1 contribution.

Penguin Fairy

Jun 8, 2010
Again the almighty notch has proved that he is not only the god of the minecrafters, but also an immensely cool guy by donating money to children that need it.

Deathsong17

Feb 4, 2009
...And you can now add another sale to that list, courtesy of me.

I only wish I'd contributed last year, too.

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
I had to pay $1, because that was all that was in my bank account at the time D: (I got paid today without even knowing D:) I'd give more but taxes ARE FUN.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
I already bought Osmos, Machinarium and Braid for full price, and did my donation for this years Child's Play.

However I got the bundle anyway, for 13.58$ .. eat it, Linux users!

Oct 14, 2010
Void(null) said:
Also Tim, don't be so quick to discount the people giving a dollar as it quickly adds up. Very recently Introversion was saved from bankruptcy by selling their entire catalog for only a $1.25 each on Steam.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103008-Steam-Promotion-Saves-Introversion-From-Death

As for me, I didn't "Pay" anything, I "donated" to a good cause which I think is what the Humble Indie bundle is truly all about. IE: Showing ones support, be that for Indie Development, the EFF, Childsplay or events like the Humble Indie Bundle.
It quickly adds up, yes. But as you went on to say, this is also a donation. If these were large companies who could more readily make a financial sacrifice for the good of some non-profits, then paying 25 cents per game wouldn't bother me that much. But the money is being spread over independent companies and charities, all of which it can be argued deserve contributions. Is it not all out of the good of the indie developers' hearts? It's plain to se they're getting some good press out of the deal, too. But come on.

It wasn't prudent of me to set a dollar amount as if there is a threshold of "good price" and "bad price." If a dollar is all one can afford, I understand. But looking at the averages, it looks like a heck of a lot of people can't afford much, and I'm sure many didn't have a problem picking up Black Ops as soon as it hit. It's telling me a lot of people don't really care about being charitable than just getting some cheap-o games, and the fact that around a quarter of people pirated the first bundle supports my hypothesis:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100576-Who-Would-Pirate-the-One-Cent-Humble-Indie-Bundle

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Honestly I'm not buying the "People pirated the bundle" thing.

I'm sure some did but those statistics also do not include people whom wanted to install the bundle they paid for on multipul PC's they own.

I myself installed the first bundle on 3 of my PC's and by those statistics I would have been counted amongst the alleged Pirates.