Miyamoto Finds Microsoft Avatars "Quite Flattering"

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Miyamoto Finds Microsoft Avatars "Quite Flattering"

The man behind Mario has brushed aside any issues with Microsoft adopting Nintendo's Mii model for Xbox LIVE.

At its E3 press conference, Microsoft confirmed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85005] plans to allow Xbox LIVE users to digitally represent themselves via Avatars, animated customizable characters that bore a resemblance to Nintendo's Miis. Rumored weeks in advance due to a marketing leak, Microsoft's Avatars are aiming to make the Xbox experience more inviting to casual players who may not be active LIVE members.

IGN's [http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/890/890212p1.html?RSSwhen2008-07-15_175200&RSSid=890212] Matt Casamassina caught up with Miyamoto during E3 to ask the Nintendo designer about his thoughts on Microsoft's rendition of cute digital characters designed by players.

"I don't really use the term avatar to refer to what we've done with the Miis. We created the Miis with the idea that the people you live with in your house or family, you also live together with inside the TV, and you can use those characters interchangeably in the games you play," explained Miyamoto.

Miyamoto is more pleased with Microsoft's direction, seeing as the Avatars will unlikely be used for the same purposes Nintendo gives to Miis.

"To see that a company like Microsoft has taken something we've done and kind of looked at it in a way and brought it out on their platform to kind of show that we've done has become the standard, I find quite flattering," stated Miyamoto. "But on the other hand, I think probably the basic ideas behind perhaps those two different systems are different and because of that I think they will probably develop in different ways."

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Well, what is Miyamoto supposed to say? "They stole our idea! those bastards!" that would ruin his image.

But still, i did hear him say that "copying is a form of flattery" or something like that once.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Imitation is indeed the sincerest form of flattery; Sony and Microsoft have been giving outright adulation to Nintendo since both entered the games industry. :'D

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Miyamoto is apparently taking a page from Obama's playbook and "taking the high road," as it were.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So Microsoft has come down from it's perch and copied the idea they said would never work.

To Miyamoto that must be like getting 2 weeks in Amsteram, all expenses paid would be like to the rest of us. Of course he's pleased.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
A gentlemen's response. Not much else to say... except it is a good business idea not to tarnish your image.

Myself0101

May 2, 2008
Sylocat said:
Miyamoto is apparently taking a page from Obama's playbook and "taking the high road," as it were.
yeh as noone has ever taken the high road before obama....

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
"But on the other hand, I think probably the basic ideas behind perhaps those two different systems are different and because of that I think they will probably develop in different ways."

Miyamoto, the philosopher. I learn something new everyday: different things are different!

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
"But on the other hand, I think probably the basic ideas behind perhaps those two different systems are different and because of that I think they will probably develop in different ways."

Miyamoto, the philosopher. I learn something new everyday: different things are different!
Amen.

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
Nintendo always lead the trend. Analog control, motion sensitivity, now Mii. The only thing they're lacking is online play.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Yah, such as Avatars look far better than Miis which are just 6 polygons flat textures/skins on them.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
In Asian cultures flattery is seen as very respectful, even if you crudely copy someone's work it's seen as paying tribute to the original's quality

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
It's not really like he has anything to be worried/angry about.

Last I heard, the Wii was doing really really well.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Haliwali said:
Nintendo always lead the trend. Analog control, motion sensitivity, now Mii. The only thing they're lacking is online play.
Bad online play is NOT the same as no online play. Get it straight.

Seriously though, this statement was the equivalent of Bugs Bunny kissing Elmer Fudd. Bill Gates is going to be pissed.