BioWare Says PS3 Mass Effect 2 Will Be Better, Incites Flame Wars

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BioWare Says PS3 Mass Effect 2 Will Be Better, Incites Flame Wars

RPG powerhouse BioWare has stoked the fires of fanboy flamewars by saying that the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 will kick the crap out of the Xbox 360 one.

By this point in this generation of the console wars, most people have hopefully stopped being idiots and have accepted that all the consoles have their strengths and weaknesses. For those diehard fanboys who refuse to admit that another system could ever be good, though, Mass Effect 2 is a flashpoint - one of the most prominent Xbox 360 exclusives, now making its way to the PS3. It's as bad as Final Fantasy or Metal Gear doing the same, honestly.

BioWare seems to be encouraging said fanboyish flashpoint in advance of the PS3 release of the game. Speaking in the BioWare podcast [http://blog.bioware.com/2010/12/15/mass-effect-2-on-playstation-3-podcast-and-gold-announcement/], PS3 version producer Jesse Houston said that the extra year's work had resulted in a much more solid version of the game.

"[We] wanted to make sure that we added a lot of benefit to the people who waited," said Houston. "One of the first things you've going to see is improved graphics. We actually created the engine for Mass Effect 3 and used that to make Mass Effect 2 PS3. So we took the content, the story and all the other assets that made up Mass Effect 2 and put it into the Mass Effect 3 engine. And that's what we're actually delivering."

The PS3 version will also include bug fixes, all of the DLC released for ME2 thus far, and - given the nature of the PS3's Blu-Ray discs - will not require the player to swap discs. Sounds pretty good, right?

Before, diehard Xbox 360 fanboys could still crow about the advantage they have with the ability to port their save files over from the original game - which was never released on the PS3 - but now, that's not even a complete victory either. According to Houston, the PS3 version will include an "interactive comic" that both fills players in on the story thus far (that is, what happened in Mass Effect 1) and lets them make the most significant choices in the original game - who lives and who dies.

If you were expecting a shoddy port to the PS3, it seems you were quite mistaken. If you were expecting these comments to ignite fanboy flame wars, though, you're probably right on the money.

(via Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/bioware_mass_effect_2_ps3_much_more_solid_than_360.html])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The most significant choices, sure.

But I liked how the game referenced the little ones on occasion. Like with Helena Blake and others.

You'll get the gist of the story, and the choices, at least.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Yay! Now all I need is a PS3 version of ME1! (I'd prefer to actually play the game rather than go with the option provided.)

But that's unlikely, so I'll just wait until I visit some friends over the holidays and play it at their place.

Or maybe get the PC version. Except my laptop isn't that good... does ME1 require a good computer?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Radynj said:
They neglected to mention the PC version in all of this. You know, the best version?
Because they didn't want to upset both fanboy groups at the same time.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Urgh... I thought these stupid wars were over. Anyways the best game ever Crash Team Racing has already been released. xP

OT: As a PS3 owner this is some pretty sweet news, and it's always nice to see developers not take sides in the Cold Console War.
The only thing I won't be partaking in is the comic since I'm determined to buy ME1 for my PC.

Jul 22, 2009
There was really no reason to start inciting flamewars... I'm going to stick with my 360 version because I have save files back from the first and I don't have a PS3, but it seems really unnecessary to start commenting on how everything will be better.

Anyway I'm not too bothered, I just wish Bioware could make a decent announcement for all platforms, not something that everyone already knew was coming or one that leaves two platforms behind.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I didn't care until I read that they're getting all the DLC. That's bull. I don't want to deal with yet another account and yet another bullshit points system. And come on dude, pick another screenshot. Her ass is the most shameless and embarrassing part of ME2

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Mr. Omega said:
Yay! Now all I need is a PS3 version of ME1! (I'd prefer to actually play the game rather than go with the option provided.)

But that's unlikely, so I'll just wait until I visit some friends over the holidays and play it at their place.
IIRC Microsoft actually published the first one so, no. Not a high hope in holy hell. This is coming from a primary PS3 owner

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
My platform can beat up your platform. Neener-neener. Pthbtbtbt.

And now I can go on with the rest of my day, having fulfilled my (apparent) duty in the Console Wars.

-- Steve

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
The one thing I wanted on ME2, the ONE thing I wanted, was tha ability to choose what happens in ME1. My save corrupted itself and I couldn't recover it, so I wanted Council alive and Anderson ON the council.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I wouldn't think this would incite a flamewar if it came from the company making the game... Also this is awesome, I have had a lustful eye on the Mass Effect series up until now, and soon it will be mine!

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Flame wars are alive and well, just today, Bethesda announced new dlc for New Vegas that's 360 exclusive(for now imo) and ps3 owners are pissed saying ps3 is better and stuff. As far as this game goes though, I'm happy that others can share my joy.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Finally a port that actually uses the time to make some improvements. I, however would get it on the PC. Though I haven't finished the original yet. I wish I could just take a week and finish Mass Effect and my Battlestar Galactica DVDs.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Sweet. Though i already have it on PC so i wont get it to my PS3.

And when it comes to Mass Effect 2 news...Why is that picture used? Im not complaining...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
My platform can beat up your platform. Neener-neener. Pthbtbtbt.

And now I can go on with the rest of my day, having fulfilled my (apparent) duty in the Console Wars.

-- Steve
NYUK NYUK NYUK

Your duty isn't fulfilled without Larry.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Sounds attractive, but I'm still of the opinion the PC version is better, if only because it means I never have to probe for minerals.