Environmental Warrior James Cameron Gives Avatar Cast Blue Hybrid Cars

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Environmental Warrior James Cameron Gives Avatar Cast Blue Hybrid Cars

James Cameron's playing Santa, and giving hybrid cars to his Avatar cast.

James Cameron feels strongly about the environment, and told the world as much in 2009's Avatar. He also wants to encourage his Avatar cast to drive environmentally-friendly, and has gifted hybrid Prius cars in bright Na'vi blue to 11 of the film's stars. There's no word as to whether any of the crew members on the multi-billion dollar grossing film have received a car.

Deadline quoted the director as saying, "It's not that the movie converted people - it resonated with something that was already there, to find something inside for people and gave people a way to think about this. And if that manifests in people cutting down on their energy usage or recycle or buy a Prius...the challenge for me is to try to help people figure out what to do with that feeling that they're feeling. I do think that part of my job - to show them what to do." Where would we be without Cameron to show us the way?

No word on which of the cast were recipients, but Avatar starred Sam Worthington (Terminator Salvation), Zoe Saldana (Star Trek), Sigourney Weaver (Alien), Stephen Lang (The Men Who Stare At Goats), Michelle Rodriguez (Lost), and Giovanni Ribsi (Cold Mountain), so I'm going to guess they were beneficiaries of Cameron's generosity.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/avatar-producers-gift-cast-with-blue-prius/]

(Image [http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/photo-gallery.html])

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
You know what? I enojoyed Avatar, and I like the environment, and it's all pretty cool... BUt Avatar came out a fucking while ago! You can stop promoting it already james!

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Reminds me of George Carlin's line during his "Saving the planet" act.

"People trying to make the world a greener place for their Volvos..." *smirk*

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Pretentious environmentalists are news now?

Hey Cameron, guess how much pollution came out of actually making Avatar and then showing it in theatres? But of course you don't care about that, you think your little cars are what's going to save the world. Classic uppity hypocrite, almost as bad as people like Michael Moore who preach anti-capitalism messages but make millions off of working through the capitalist system.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Good on you, James. While you're at it, can I have one too? I mean, Avatar earned billions and a prius only costs...*researches*...about $24,000. Drop in the bucket, right? And I promise I'll appreciate it more than your actors who already have a dozen cars.

Physics Engine

Aug 18, 2010
Friend of the environment are we James?

Here's where the nickel comes from for all those Prius batteries. Looks very green huh? The environment is thanking you for saving it Mr. Cameron... somewhere... I guess.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
This pisses me off to no end. If there's one thing I really hate about Avatar, it's that some people think it's some champion of environmental protection. Any real-world environmental issues reflected by the film Avatar are grossly simplified and thus only lead to misconceptions about how to deal with currently environmental problems. Mainly, it sends the message "big corporations are evil and kill the environment". Yeah there's some truth there, but again that is a small part of a very large picture. Mainly, people need to think about who's supporting these corporations in the first place. But no, Avatar just makes it look like only the corporations are to blame for our environmental woes, an idea that not only has been done before but isn't even accurate.

As someone who legitimately cares about protecting the environment, this praise for Avatar infuriates me. The environmental message behind Avatar isn't even as developed as The Lorax.

manythings said:
Yes, if there is anything the environmental lobby wants it is people finding out that recycling is actually wasteful, hybrids are worse than land rovers and carbon credit companies are a ridiculous scam that anyone over the age of seven should figure out.
Recycling has its purposes and I'm really getting tired of people saying that its wasteful. You have to keep in mind that maybe the amount of energy consumed in the process might seem like a waste, but every plastic bottle that gets recycled has less of a chance of ending up here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch].

You're right about carbon credits being absurd though.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Physics Engine said:
Friend of the environment are we James?

Here's where the nickel comes from for all those Prius batteries. Looks very green huh? The environment is thanking you for saving it Mr. Cameron... somewhere... I guess.
What's even better is the byproducts of the process to turn the nickel into the foam that goes into the battery aren't technically classified yet so it can basically be dumped without question AND they're still not sure about the long-term effects of the spent batteries that are just going to be dumped until there is an actual recycling process. Yum-yum-yum...

Internet Kraken said:
This pisses me off to no end. If there's one thing I really hate about Avatar, it's that some people think it's some champion of environmental protection. Any real-world environmental issues reflected by the film Avatar are grossly simplified and thus only lead to misconceptions about how to deal with currently environmental problems. Mainly, it sends the message "big corporations are evil and kill the environment". Yeah there's some truth there, but again that is a small part of a very large picture. Mainly, people need to think about who's supporting these corporations in the first place. But no, Avatar just makes it look like only the corporations are to blame for our environmental woes, an idea that not only has been done before but isn't even accurate.

As someone who legitimately cares about protecting the environment, this praise for Avatar infuriates me. The environmental message behind Avatar isn't even as developed as The Lorax.
Yes, if there is anything the environmental lobby wants it is people finding out that recycling is actually wasteful, hybrids are worse than land rovers and carbon credit companies are a ridiculous scam that anyone over the age of seven should figure out.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Why didn't he give them Na'vi blue shoes or bikes rather than a car. They probably have one or two of those anyway. It would have been both environmentally 'friendly' and a bit philanthropic if he gave things to the whole cast rather than the people who made crap loads of cash from the film (and the many others they have undoubtedly starred in). Although I guess it isn't like the crew did anything, right?

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
You know what? I enojoyed Avatar, and I like the environment, and it's all pretty cool... BUt Avatar came out a fucking while ago! You can stop promoting it already james!
didn't they told you there will be other Avatar movies !

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
He does realise that to make a Prius it actually puts out more pollution than an SUV would in its entire life?

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
yeah give a car to people who could afford to buy a dozen each without blinking... pfft. If he really wanted to make a difference he should have looked around the people who worked on the film and found out who had the oldest nastiest cars around and gifted them.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
The funny thing is that Hybrid cars are actually worse for the environment than most other cars.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
tkioz said:
If he really wanted to make a difference he should have looked around the people who worked on the film and found out who had the oldest nastiest cars around and gifted them.
Or donated money to one of the many different charities dedicated to helping the environment, rather than just trying to generate more publicity for his franchise.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
Actually, come to think of it, I DO have a Christmas wish.

It is for James Cameron to shut his pretentious mouth and/or go somewhere far away and never come back!

The fact that he (a truly talented film maker) spent nearly 10 years and hundreds of millions of dollars to make a glossy and pretty looking yet nothing short of mediocre and bland special effects driven action movie (like we didn't have enough of those to begin with) is one thing.

The fact that he is going about the place proclaiming said mediocre and bland film to be "The GR8ESt MOVEE EVAr!!11!" all while belittling other 3D movies just because they (insert MASSIVE finger quotes)"Do the technology injustice", and re-releasing the mediocre, bland, and now hideously overrated film into theaters less than a year after its initial release is just fucking insulting! This is the kind of shit I'd expect from George Lucas and Uwe Boll! But George has so far kept his trap shut and Uwe usually does it as a joke or a cynical promotional stunt.

Congratulations Cameron.

You've degraded from a raw talented director of movies ranging from pretty good (True Lies, Titanic) to out right awesome (The Abyss, Terminator/Alien 1 and 2), to a pretentious egotistic prat only motivated by fame and profits. You are the new George Lucas.

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
Canid117 said:
The funny thing is that Hybrid cars are actually worse for the environment than most other cars.
They are? Lithium batteries tend to be somewhat less catastrophically environmentally damaging to manufacture than lead-based. I agree with the earlier suggestion that Cameron should have given them bicycles, though.
manythings said:
hybrids are worse than land rovers
I like how people here just say things.