Corpse Bride Co-Director Making Oz "Dark, Slick, Sexy"

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Corpse Bride Co-Director Making Oz "Dark, Slick, Sexy"

Oz Wars will remake The Wizard of Oz in distinctly grown-up stop-animation.

Vanguard Animation, the company that brought us Valiant, Happily N'Ever After, and Space Chimps, has just signed a director to their "CG/stop-motion hybrid" Wizard of Oz remake, Oz Wars. Mike Johnson, co-director of Corpse Bride, will helm the film, which Vanguard promises will be a "contemporary, freaky action-packed PG-13 audience pleaser."

Johnson has few directorial credits under his belt, but has been an animator on films such as The Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach, and the short The Devil Went Down to Georgia. His work on 2005's Corpse Bride was nominated for an Annie Award (given for excellence in animation).

Speaking about his vision for the film, Johnson said, "the Land of Oz will be re-imagined using stop-motion to create a world that's dark, slick, sexy, and dangerous. It's long been a goal of mine to create a hard-hitting, grown-up action film using stop-motion animation. Oz Wars is my opportunity to do that." The movie also promises warrior witches, monsters, and martial arts. So, not my grandmother's Wizard of Oz.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So it's basically going to be a Shrek version of The Wizard of Oz?

...I think I'm getting a migraine.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm hoping this doesn't turn into another 9. Not that 9 was terrible, I just thought it could have done more.

Warrior Witches, Monsters and, Martial Arts eh? Sounds interesting, I'll keep my eye on this one.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Seeing as Happily N'ever After and Space Chimps were both shit, I'll take this with a grain of salt.

But still, Corpse Bride is great, and 9 was fun for what it was. And I will always support stop motion for being on of the most unique forms of animation out there.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Jesus fucking christ! Will this dark, gritty remake shit ever end? It was bad enough with just Tim Burton and retarded games.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Warriors and Monsters and Martial Arts, oh my!

Heh, this sounds fun to me. I've always been a fan of taking classic stuff and giving it a dark, twisted vibe. Maybe that's why I still support Tim Burton when plenty of people think he's past it by now. Ah well, I'll definitely have to keep an eye on this project and take a look when it comes out :D.

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
I'm actually gonna go see this. Of course not before I see "Suckerpunch" but going to give this one a chance.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
A resounding "Ehhhhhhhhh..." on my end. Not that I didn't love Corpse Bride and its stop animation style, but I abhor anything having to do with "Oz".

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
All I read was suck, suck, disappointment. It's a shame there is not a lot of mainstream originality nowadays.

night_chrono

Mar 13, 2008
I am looking to put a team together to steal nuclear launch codes, and nuke Hollywood out of existence.

FUCK this shit.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
No.
If you have to remake classic movies, you are obviously a talentless loser with no original ideas of your own. Fuck off, you degenerate git. Actually, just go kill yourself, because then you might actually have a chance of being remembered.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
contemporary, freaky action-packed PG-13 audience pleaser.
a world that's dark, slick, sexy, and dangerous...PG-13 audience pleaser.
a hard-hitting, grown-up action film...PG-13 audience pleaser.
Besides, there already is a dark, freaky re-imagining of the wizard of Oz that has next to nothing to do with the original source material.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Aw this is just going to suck.
Can anyone else see this being destoryed in some attempt to make it speek too the 13-15 year old girl demographic? You know the ones who are starting to line up too see the new twilight movie even though its not out for a few months at least.
I don't have enough time to groan about this im going to bed.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Great; now I have this in mind when I think about this new Oz film: http://www.spawn.com/toys/media.aspx?product_id=1606&type=photo&file=monsters2_dorothy_photo_02_dp.jpg

James B Hamster

Apr 15, 2009
Hurrah, it keeps getting worse.

Like I said when this was first announced, it was almost bound to happen sometime: think of any literary icon throughout history and it's sure to have an adaptation of some sort by now. Seeing it happen to the Wizard of Oz hurts so much not because it is just that dear to me (though I do like it), but rather it exists in the cultural mindset as one of the few more-or-less unblemished representations of the "good old days". I sure as heck didn't live through it, and neither did my parents, but we all grew up with the iconic, big-Hollywood, Technicolor imagery of the Wizard of Oz.

And now it's going to be a "contemporary, freaky action-packed PG-13 audience pleaser" that's "dark, slick, sexy, and dangerous". Just like everything else nowadays. Joy.

Fanboy

Oct 20, 2008
As long as it properly synchronizes with the Dark side of the Moon I'll be satisfied.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
..I fail to see how this is somewhat "new and original" in any way, shape, or form.

The Wizard of Oz will never be "Slick and Sexy", no matter how much sexual innuendo and suggestive clothing they might put in it. The "Dark" part.. well, that's just a given, here.