Spore Creatures Outnumber Real Ones

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Spore Creatures Outnumber Real Ones

The Spore Creature Creator [http://www.spore.com/trial] has exceeded Will Wright's highest hopes, with the number of creatures created with the software now exceeding the number of known species on Earth.

Released in mid-June, the Spore Creature Creator is available in both full retail versions and a free demo release, which offers limited functionality. The software was an immediate hit with gamers, resulting in the creation of 250,000 Spore [http://www.spore.com] creatures in the first day of release. "I was really hoping we'd get 100,000 creatures by September and a million by the end of the year," Wright said during a Spore demonstration at E3. "We hit 100k in 22 hours and a million by the end of the first week. The numbers are just blowing us away."

According to an AFP [http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hkRb0z0xS4kYqr3MVgFN6_eOspsA] report, the number of creatures in the Spore database surpassed the number of known species on Earth in the second week of July, a remarkable effort but not quite enough to beat the Biblical high score. "It took them 18 days to reach the number of creatures on Earth and, by some accounts, it took God six days," Wright said.

The creatures created by gamers will populate the Spore game world via a central server, which will catalog and rate player-created content and then disperse the material to other player's games. Along with various species, gamers will also be able to visit planets created by other players and interact with their civilizations.

Spore, the hotly-anticipated new effort from Will Wright and Maxis, is scheduled for release in September for the PC and Mac.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
It was an epic presentation. He didn't talk much about the game (after all, its E3 and plus he couldn't have had much more to say, content-wise) but certainly proved that he could laugh with his audience. Like the whole 'Spore users are therefore 32% God' joke. Heh.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Bwahahahahaha! Computers make their first subtle step towards domination of organic life!

They now know that their squishy masters can be outdone!

Wait the computers didn't do that did they. Ignore me.

UnterHund

Jul 1, 2008
And how many of those creatures were actually only different versions of primary or secondary genitals?

So long
UnterHund

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
UnterHund said:
And how many of those creatures were actually only different versions of primary or secondary genitals?

So long
UnterHund
Or Video game characters.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Malygris said:
"It took them 18 days to reach the number of creatures on Earth and, by some accounts, it took God six days," Wright said.
...lol. That's going to create an uproar.

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
So... Penis-on-legs #1, penis-on-legs #2, penis-on-legs #3 ... penis-on-legs #12,362,851
Pikachu #1, pikachu #2 ...

Next target on the agenda: achieve similar biodiversity to Earth (given that it's rather hard to make small things in the creature creator, and that something like 20-25% of the animal species on Earth are beetles, this could be difficult)

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Well, 25% of Earth's species are beetles, as it's already been said, so why can't 25% of Spore's creatures be genitalia? Right? Right? OK I'll shut up now.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
TheNecroswanson said:
Anyway: Seriously? So, 300,000 different versions of the male genitalia makes them proud? What douche bags.
Wait a second.

EA/Maxis provides a tool to build a diverse range of creatures to be shared via Spore, gives a version of that software away for free, and because a certain percentage of people (predictably) use the thing to build Giant Penis Monsters it somehow makes EA douchebags?

I'm not following your thinking here.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Malygris said:
I'm not following your thinking here.
Neither am I.

Though, it is a great thing for the devs and EA to have this under their belt.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
holy fuck.
What an awesome concept. The virgin Mary and god doing the naught business known as the "Holy Fuck."

Well, I guess you would get massive numbers with a free offering of it. Alot of them would just be from the trial version of it.