Wii Needs a Price Cut and Better Third Party Support, Says EA Boss

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Wii Needs a Price Cut and Better Third Party Support, Says EA Boss

Nintendo focuses too much on its own franchises, says EA's John Riccitiello.

While it's still selling well, the Wii isn't reaching the dizzying heights it did just a few years ago. But the situation is reversible, and EA CEO Riccitiello thinks that by trimming the price of its console and embracing third party titles, Nintendo could turn perk sales immeasurably.

Riccitiello said that while Wii sales had "tapered" over the last two years, with a ninety-nine dollar price tag the console would "explode." He also thought that Nintendo could improve sales by making more effort to support third party titles, rather than focusing almost all of its attention on its own franchises.

He didn't think that was something that Nintendo was all that likely to do, however. He said that if you were to list the definitive games of a particular Nintendo platform, chances are that most of them would be first party titles like Zelda or Mario. He said that as far back as the SNES, Nintendo's support for third-party developers had been significantly less than other platform holders.

"Nintendo's unique in the world," he said. "First-party hardware, first-party content is what makes them great, but it's actually pretty tough ... they've never really been a heavy third-party supporting system. It's not lack of trying; they start the morning thinking what's best for their own intellectual property."

It's hard to argue with the idea of a $99 dollar Wii selling exceptionally well, but whether Nintendo would consider dropping the price that far is much less certain. The Wii costs around $200 at most retailers and it seems more likely that Nintendo would split the difference and go with $150, if/when it does decide to lower the price.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/nintendo-wii-would-explode-at-99-and-lack-of-third-party-support-is-frustrating-ea/]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I can't see Nintendo actually cutting the price as long as it sells well. I don't think the notion expressed here is wrong, I just think that the reality is, as it said, potentially unrealistic.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
My question would be: What are Sony/Microsoft doing that supports third-party titles which Nintendo doesn't?

Also: In before obvious knock on the Wii having lesser graphics capabilities as the "answer".

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Likewise, I think the third parties should pull their socks up and advertise. Look at Just Dance, for example: clever advertising generated massive sales.

Grounogeos

Mar 20, 2009
The boss of EA must be a complete retard. A large number of titles that come out for the Wii are third-party, and most of those titles are the reason nobody respects the Wii in the first place!

More third-party? Nintendo doesn't need more third-party developers; they need to cut the ones that make garbage aimed at the "casual gamers"!

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Could also just be that a mass majority of all games on any platform are just shovelware anyway. Besides the fact that a magical 'pointing' device for the Wii just provokes even more gimmick C-rated games. We'll see the same happening to the Xbox and PS3 now they have their own movement controls.

The answer is just plain better quality control. But of course they won't do that, because even garbage sells...

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Damn You Nintendo! Start accepting EA's yearly rehashed Sports Games every year!

psychic psycho

Dec 17, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
My question would be: What are Sony/Microsoft doing that supports third-party titles which Nintendo doesn't?
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering myself. Heh, I guess Sony/Microsoft not having as much first party games Nintendo counts as supporting third party games.

Also: In before obvious knock on the Wii having lesser graphics capabilities as the "answer".
I would think that the Wii having worse graphics capabilities would encourage better games, sadly it isn't the case it seems. All the focus would be on concepts and design since they wouldn't have to worry too much about graphics. I'd also imagine making a game on the Wii is a lot less risky since the cost of producing a Wii game is likely considerably less than one made for the 360/PS3.

How much is the DS selling though? I'd imagine cutting the price of the Wii would mean having to cut the price of the DS. You can't have a handheld selling for more than a home console.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
psychic psycho said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering myself. Heh, I guess Sony/Microsoft not having as much first party games Nintendo counts as supporting third party games.

I would think that the Wii having worse graphics capabilities would encourage better games, sadly it isn't the case it seems. All the focus would be on concepts and design since they wouldn't have to worry too much about graphics. I'd also imagine making a game on the Wii is a lot less risky since the cost of producing a Wii game is likely considerably less than one made for the 360/PS3.

How much is the DS selling though? I'd imagine cutting the price of the Wii would mean having to cut the price of the DS. You can't have a handheld selling for more than a home console.
Ltd Edition Red Mario DS = £154.99
Ltd Edition Red Wii = £159.99

so yeah XD

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
psychic psycho said:
The DS is one of the first things I thought of, too. I've kind of wanted to pick one up for a while now, but it's really kind of depressing that even the DS Lite is still over $100, even after the DSi has been out for a while. I also probably would've replaced my half-dead Wii if the price had gone down more, but instead I just stopped buying games for it. I would even consider buying some of the games I've been meaning to play on it, because it does still mostly work most of the time, but they barely ever even lower the price on first-party games anymore. No more $20 Player's Choice games for me, I guess, because if people are still willing to buy them for $40-50 three years later, why would they sell them for less?

If sales drop off enough, sure, they'll lower the price, but if you can sell x consoles for $60 profit on each or 2x for $10 profit by dropping the price $50, you wouldn't exactly be doing yourself a favor by dropping the price (unless you have a tiny install base that you're trying to grow, but that is clearly not the case here). I'm sure they have plenty of people doing the market research and the math to figure out when it'll make sense to do that, if ever. I'd be thrilled if they cut Wii/DS/game prices as quickly and often as they did in the GC era, but they only did that then because they weren't selling that well.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Third party developers failing to make and market actual good games is hardly Nintendo's fault.

What do people like Riccitiello mean when they say Nintendo have to support the third-party developers better? Does he want them to make the games for the developers, or what? And if Nintendo's support for third-party developers started decreasing with the SNES, then what does he think of the "5 games per year and developer" limit they enforced during the NES era?

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
I really think it is time for Nintendo to unveil their new console. While Microsoft and Sony can get away with their current gen consoles for a few more years, the Wii is truly dated at this point.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
Hang on, is EA saying *Nintendo* is focusing too much on its own franchises? EA, Misters Pot and Kettle wish to speak with you.