Blizzard Offers World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Trial

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Blizzard Offers World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Trial

Blizzard is allowing World of Warcraft players to try the end of the world before they pay to experience it.

If you're one of the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106071-Cataclysm-Sets-New-Sales-Record] yet, a new offer from Blizzard might make you change your mind. Blizzard has announced that it'll be offering a 10-day trial of Cataclysm's exclusive features just to give you an idea of how badly Deathwing's fire can burn.

Every player's World of Warcraft has already been destroyed by Deathwing in starting regions, but purchasing Cataclysm unlocks a host of new features and high-level zones. Only Cataclysm owners can create Goblin and Worgen characters, engage in the Archaeology profession, visit Mount Hyjal (current day) or Vashj'ir, and level up to 85 by completing the expansion's all new quests.

To play the Cataclysm trial, players must have a full subscription to Wrath of the Lich King [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Wrath-Lich-Expansion-Mac/dp/B000VJTJNE/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1292614532&sr=1-1], or have had one in the past. As soon as the trial is activated in one's account, all of Cataclysm's exclusive features will be accessible, but they'll expire 10 days later.

Worgen and Goblin characters created will not be destroyed, but they won't be playable again until Cataclysm is purchased. Level 80 players can gain experience during the trial, but only to one point before level 81. Quest rewards and items found can be kept, which includes pets.

Blizzard is betting that once players put themselves into the shoes of a lupine humanoid or a Goblin, they'll have no choice but to fork over $39.99 plus applicable sales tax. To start the trial, go here [http://us.battle.net/en/info/cataclysm-trial].

Rogun11

Apr 10, 2009
Thats a really cool idea. I know of some people who havnt gotten there copy yet due to the rubbish postal service here in the uk.This might please them.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
This is hardly news, Blizzard offers World of Warcraft Trials all the time.

Slow news day?

Captain-Giggles

May 21, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you owned Cataclysm but not installed it yet, could you use this to get essentially 10 days free play time? (Limited playtime what with not being able to hit 81, but still)

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Gotta hand it to Blizzard, they know how to hook a potential customer. Heck, I was planning on quitting after my 2 week trial was up, but [shakes head] they got me.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
played it.....all that changed was the water effects and sun rays its still the same old grind

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
I doubt I'll bother. Last MMO I played was Runescape and I decided to stop because of the grinding, which is a problem for all MMO's I think.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
ionveau said:
played it.....all that changed was the water effects and sun rays its still the same old grind
With a completely different 1-60 experience, two new races, five new zones etc etc etc.
You're honestly expecting the core gameplay to change with an expansion?

It'd be like buying Sims: Halloween and having the game turn into a first-person vampire killing sim.

master m99

Jan 19, 2009
god dam it blizz i have exams!!!! leave me alone you can have my soul back on my 18th, just after the dam things =S