European Parliament Member Calls for Mafia 2 Ban

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
European Parliament Member Calls for Mafia 2 Ban

European Parliamentarian Soni Alfano is calling for a ban on Mafia 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Mafia-II-Xbox-360/dp/B000ZK698C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292615512&sr=8-1], saying it trivializes the violence and murder carried out by the real-life Cosa Nostra.

Alfano's father, Sicilian journalist Beppe Alfano, was murdered by the Mafia in 1993, an act that led her to become an advocate for people affected by Mafia violence and eventually the president of Familiari Vittime di Mafia [http://www.familiarivittimedimafia.com/], Italy's association for the families of Mafia victims. As part of her ongoing effort to speak out against organized crime, she's now using her position in the European Parliament to call for a sweeping ban on Take-Two's action-adventure game Mafia 2.

"It really, really hurts," she said in an interview with Bloomberg [http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-16/mafia-victim-families-complain-as-violent-video-games-increase.html]. "We can't allow this to happen, our wounds are still too fresh."

Mafia 2 wasn't the biggest hit of the year for publisher Take-Two but its relatively strong performance did contribute to a fiscal year profit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106217-Take-Two-Makes-Money-Without-New-Grand-Theft-Auto] of $42.5 million, quite a turnaround from its previous year loss of $140 million. But even as an M-rated title, the message it delivers to players is one that Alfano finds deeply objectionable.

"These games transform the Mafia, a reality of death and destruction, into a thrilling and hands-on virtual pastime," she said. "Even if momentarily, players identify with brutal killers and for us who have experienced violence firsthand, it's appalling."

Alfano isn't alone in her criticism of the game; prior to the game's release, Italian American organization Unico National accused it of being "a pile of racist nonsense [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102889-Mafia-II-Accused-of-Racism-Take-Two-Responds]" that will "indoctrinate a new generation into directly associating Italians and Italian-Americans with violent, murderous organized crime."

via: Edge Online [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/italian-mep-calls-for-mafia-ii-ban]

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Bit late, isn't she? If it were such a huge deal to me, I'd have pounced on it right away.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
It's funny how games simulataneously manage to be meaningless, mind-numbing entertainment but also vicious tirades against everyone with their hidden messages.

I want someone to make her play the game before letting her comment.

Duol

Aug 18, 2008
Anyone who knows anything about the European Parliment knows how ridiculous this sounds. It is literaly a non-story.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Well then don't play the game if it bothers you.

It's not like you're forced to, and the title and occasional commercial can't be too bad, can it? And everyone who would have wanted to buy would have bought it by now, it's been out for forever.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
I can understand her feeling somewhat offended by it.

However, that is not anywhere near enough to BAN a game.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Then don't play the fuckin game! What's the matter with people? Why do they feel the need to tell other what to do with their free time? Fuck this *****! Why don't you try to ban movies about the mafia?! Damn, this is so irritating. All these people see is a title and video game and they immediately jump to conclusions. Why can't for once someone actually play the game before they try to ban it?!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
ImprovizoR said:
Then don't play the fuckin game! What's the matter with people? Why do they feel the need to tell other what to do with their free time? Fuck this *****! Why don't you try to ban movies about the mafia?! Damn, this is so irritating. All these people see is a title and video game and they immediately jump to conclusions. Why can't for once someone actually play the game before they try to ban it?!
But, she's right... you play a Mafioso, and I dare you to tell me that it isn't thrilling.

Still, not worth banning. Not unless you're going to ban every war game evar in the process.

King_Serpent

GUY YOU DON'T KNOW
Jul 12, 2010
The Mafia game pretty much uses the "crime doesn't pay" line. Look at Zero Punctuation. I have played it is as well. The game does not promote the mafia as a good thing I will tell you that much.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Crimsane said:
Bit late, isn't she? If it were such a huge deal to me, I'd have pounced on it right away.
WAY TOO LATE. The EU haven't even done a sweeping ban on anything, let alone a game that has more in common with films.

Nothing will come of this.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Crimsane said:
You're doing it wrong. The trick is to wait until something is massively successful and has earned large sums of money.

Then sue exorbitantly for any petty grievances.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
She hits on a game yet when a movie about the Mafia is released she doesn't give a shit? ... Sigh.

Supernaut565

Mar 18, 2009
"indoctrinate a new generation into directly associating Italians and Italian-Americans with violent, murderous organized crime."

Movie's and T.V did that way before video games did.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I can see her point, it's not completely invalid, romanticizing crime is never good. However I do think she's overreacting, it's been done for ages and in works that are far more popular than Mafia II will ever be. It's probably another one of those cases where it gets recognized because its a video game, it's still a pretty young medium so it's understandable that people react to it in that way, but hopefully we'll see less of it as time passes.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Le Tueur said:
manythings said:
If she plays it and finds out how bad it is she'll want to ban it even more.
Well I can't speak for the game but I prefer that people know what they are talking about BEFORE they talk about it.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
manythings said:
It's funny how games simulataneously manage to be meaningless, mind-numbing entertainment but also vicious tirades against everyone with their hidden messages.

Agreed. It's either "they are pointless" or "they are so meaningful that they will ruin the people who play them by making them empathize with criminals!"

And really, if this game is so bad we'd better sweep up all mafia related stuff just in case. Here, take my copy of The Godfather, we wouldn't want me to get too attached to any of those characters and take pity on the mob now would we?