Stolen Pixels #4: Epic Message

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #4: Epic Message

In this installment of Stolen Pixels, Shamus Young takes sides in the console vs. PC war. But he figures Epic beat him to it.

OverlordSteve

Jul 8, 2008
Oh jesus, don't remind me. I played Unreal Tournament 3 at a tech camp recently, and my computer crashed so much for no reason at all.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Epic makes though one "Epic" thinking error: The PC market made them what they are now so they literally bite the hand that fed them. Oh well, there are others to take their place :D

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I already argued the point to death on Twenty-Sided Tale, so I'll make minor notes of it here, but being a primary console gamer I still found UT3 to be ridiculous. I hate their interface, even as a console gamer, and I hate the reduced multiplayer modes, even as a console gamer. UT3 was just a series of bad design choices.

As for the market moving against PC gamers, over the past several days I've seen a lot of trailers pop up on GameTrailers.com of several games that are PC exclusive, so maybe the problem is PC gamers aren't looking hard enough for games for their platform.

NobleBear

Jul 9, 2008
And to think I switched from Mac to PC just in time for the game market to dry up. *sigh*

At least there's Steam.

Zeromaxx

Walrus King
Jul 2, 2008
Aries_Split said:
That's right. Who's my *****?
Me :D? alright, seriously now. I played UT3 on a PS3, mainly because the 360 version of it was doa until just recently now, but I have to say I'm not impressed. It was like someone put together everything bad about halo3, cod4, and gears of war and put it all on laggy servers with a bunch of shit weapons. Epic seems to be doing quite well in the failure department but who knows, they may need help sooner or later.

General Karthos

Jul 19, 2008
As a long time Mac-user, I say that it is about time PC gamers learned what it's like to wait for games. I have a console! I'm getting games before you without those damned CD Keys and online verifications and so forth.

Do you have any idea what it's like to the Mac user who had to wait a full YEAR beyond the PC release for the various Civilization Titles to make their way to the Macintosh? I guess maybe now you do. Mass Effect, console, then PC with an activation code. Same with Bioshock, and doubtless others that I'm not listing.

So maybe it's petty, but also maybe people now know how I felt for more than a decade while the games I desperately wanted kept coming out for PC and either not at all for Mac, or for Mac a year later.

qrter

Jan 24, 2008
Ooh, Shamus, you almost have a taker for your console-baiting there! Except it's Mac vs. PC, which is the most boring discussion flacidly being fought out on the internet ever..

Halbert

Jul 13, 2008
It's hard not to blame companies for moving away from the PC, but there's no excuse for crappy design.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Halbert speaks the truth. I don't blame them for moving away from the PC. But I intend to ***** about it anyway. It doesn't help but it's very satisfying and way cheaper than just going out and buying a console.

Teleios

Aug 5, 2003
DeadlyYellow said:
Good thing I stuck to classic Unreal. Still loads of fun to be had on UT2004 anyway.
2004? Nothing compared to the original Game of the Year Edition ... I can *still* have fun on that one.