Monster Hunter Portable 3rd Becomes Capcom's All Time Fastest Seller

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd Becomes Capcom's All Time Fastest Seller

Move aside Mega Man, Resident Evil, and Street Fighter, Monster Hunter is now Capcom's favorite franchise.

Capcom's latest Monster Hunter [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036KRP3Q/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002BRYXOO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1RAGYWQQD4AH40KNPCCJ] title has been a dream for Capcom. Despite only having been released in Japan less than a month ago on December 1, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for the PSP is already Capcom's fastest selling game ever.

After selling about 2 million copies in a week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105920-Japan-Appoints-Millions-of-New-Monster-Hunters], Portable 3rd has gone on to sell at least 629,541 more units and Capcom has shipped 3 million in 17 days. The speed of its sales and shipments are faster than any game Capcom has ever experienced, the company announced.

Capcom's previous Monster Hunter PSP effort, Metal Gear [http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter-Freedom-Unite-Sony-PSP/dp/B001HWF1OA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1292823213&sr=1-1] and viral marketing, in addition to spin-off titles aimed at women and the release of a Monster Hunter PSP. In the future, Capcom is even planning to hold Monster Hunter festivals around Japan.

Fast-forward to Portable 3rd's potential North American release, and it probably won't be so ravenously snatched up. Freedom Unite evidently sold a few hundred thousand copies in North America, while it sold millions in Japan. It appears that there are societal reasons why Monster Hunter is so popular in Japan that just can't be replicated in other regions. It's a fun series, despite some frustrating qualities, so hopefully Capcom will still localize Portable 3rd so that overseas fans can look forward to cramping up their hands again while hunting its new monsters.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/19/monster-hunter-portable-3rd-is-the-fastest-selling-capcom-game-ever/]

Wedian

Aug 5, 2009
Not too surprised that the newest installment is selling like crazy. I love the series and I hope Capcom will continue to ship out copies of the game over here even if it doesn't sell quite as well.

Wolf-AUS

Feb 13, 2010
I love the MH series. Had some fun and frustrating times playing the PSP versions with my mates. I really hope they bring it to other regions, although if they don't, I could probably order it I guess.

Ki11erHyde

Nov 3, 2009
Just another reason for why I should get PSP. I wish they would bring over their monster hunter game for the Xbox360 though.

Link XL1

Apr 6, 2010
i just dont understand! i played monster hunter on the psp and all it was is a huge grind! its like an mmorpg expect without the mmo. i seriously couldnt get into it. and if you other guys like the game then great, thats one more game for you to enjoy. but how do SO many people like too?

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
See, this makes me happy. I freaking love this series. It's way more rewarding to me than WoW is.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Link XL1 said:
i just dont understand! i played monster hunter on the psp and all it was is a huge grind! its like an mmorpg expect without the mmo. i seriously couldnt get into it. and if you other guys like the game then great, thats one more game for you to enjoy. but how do SO many people like too?
It's definitely not for everyone. I like the fact that there is SO much equipment, and it all looks different, and it's created with whatever you collect. I also enjoy building up the town and hanging out with cats. Apparently in Portable 3rd, you get two cats. I want two cats. Fighting monsters is fun too, just because of the overwhelming challenge at times, but with friends it's a blast.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Sounds like something I would enjoy. I don't want to shell out for a PSP though...Wish it came on something else.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
It is a grind, but its not like other grinds where its just "Pick enemy, attack, attack, attack, level up" ad-nauseum. There's a genuine challenge to it that's hard to find on the market these days and its really rewarding once you can take down those creatures you used to see as nigh-indestructible.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Link XL1 said:
There's the fact that you're an ant trying to bring down a tank. Once it does happen, it's awesome. Plus, it's a fun challenge that soaks up time when you're in a bus, train or other such vehicle, and that's what a handheld is for eh?

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Sitting in a fight with the highest end monsters in a death match of man vs monster is truely a test of endurance and skill to not fuck up and die.
Being able to predict movements, adapting to the times you were wrong and take a hit, the truely great players run things naked(no armor, just a weapon and some whetstones depending on the monster).

Really one of the most grindy and slow-to-start games, but equally the most rewarding, I hope it gets released in the US/EU. :(

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
There is something with this series, I just can't get into it.... There is no reason at all I shouldn't love it, but I don't. I think no matter what, the controls feel clunky to me. It's the character animations on attacks that I don't like so much I think.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
loved monster hunter tri on the wii, hope to see more of it soon for something that doesnt give me hand cramps (Im looking at you psp)