Question of the Day, December 20, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, December 20, 2010

A recent study shows that the current generation of videogame consoles is seeing increased use for non-gaming purposes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106185-Study-Shows-Consoles-Arent-Just-for-Gaming-Anymore]. Do you use it for anything else?

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Watching DVDs and gaming are the only things I use my PS3 for. Don't care much for the other stuff.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
The main console I have is a Wii, which to my knowledge cannot play DVD's without some sort of illegal file or something, so I would sometimes watch stuff through the BBC Iplayer channel.

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
I figure as a computer person, my console's ancillary function is actually the games, but I voted for internet use.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
DVDs, mostly. Blu-rays on occasion. That's about all, apart from gaming.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I actually keep meaning to hook up my PS3 to Netflix, but haven't gotten around to it. I occasionally download an Anime show to check out on XBox's service as well, but not that often.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I use my 360 for chatting with my friends while not playing.

Its fast, easy, and unlike my phone service dosen't charge me for how long I use it.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
GahzlyGriffon said:
Wheres the option i dont have a console?
the last console i had was a ps2 so i guess watching Dvds
My last console was an Atari 2600. I can't make the DVDs fit.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
So far I've only used my Xbox as a DVD player. Quite practical. However I've heard that in certain other places of the world you are able to download movies as much as you like. Netflix and the likes...

Nothing like that here in Europe as far as I can tell. It feels like I'm being left out more and more... I'm a consumer. Why won't they let me consume?!

Not to mention seemingly tons of interesting movies that aren't even imported to the north. Ugh... Why can't globalization grow faster?

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
The closest thing I use my consoles for is checking the online services for free DLC or Video Game Demos :p

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
well our dvd player has crapped out so why buy a new one when i have a PS3 sitting there next to where it was it has bluetooth so i can use the controller even if in sitting behind the coffee-table which is almost as useful as a blutrack mouse which still tracks if the surface is your dog or the coffee-table in fact that coffee-table is the centre of my problems i should smash it

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
My PS3 is almost officially a designated Blu Ray player. I just can't seem to...like my PS3 as a gaming platform. I really tried but I dislike what it offers...except for the blu ray capabilities which I love. I will sometimes use it for the playing of MP3s as well.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Never owned a DVD player or a BluRay player. So when im told the PS3 does all of that and play games, the obvious choice was get the PS3.

Life long PC gamer so other than the occasional DVD/BLUR watching thats about all i watch it for. Also i use the PS3 as the internet link to my HDTV so i can stream on that :D