Actor Sorry for Terrible Clash of the Titans Remake

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Actor Sorry for Terrible Clash of the Titans Remake

Leading man Sam Worthington, of Avatar fame, apologized to everyone for how awful the remake of Clash of the Titans was.

While the 2010 remake of the classic action/fantasy film from 1981 was a box office success (grossing almost half a billion dollars internationally), I don't think a person alive who saw it would be able to seriously call it even mildly entertaining. Bluntly, it was a poorly written and badly acted CGI and lightsaber-filled mess that our own MovieBob described as "kind of a C+ remake of a B- original [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1588-Clash-of-the-Titans]."

Apparently Sam Worthington, who played Perseus in the film, agreed. "I think the first one, we kind of let down some people. I think I can act f***ing better, to be honest." he said.

Wait, "first one"?

"The only point of doing a sequel is either the audience demands it or you believe you can better the first one. What we're setting out to do with this one -- the writers and the director and myself -- is improve," said Worthington. "Just take all the notes from people that I have been reading about on the 'net and give them a movie they f***ing want. This one I want to kind of try to satisfy a lot more people."

Mr. Worthington, while I appreciate the thought behind the apology, I don't think you understand the point. Saying sorry for the first movie while promoting the next one is an awful lot like apologizing for punching me in the face, and saying that next time, it'll only be a kick in the shin.

Well, thanks anyway, I guess.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/12/17/sam-worthington-clash-of-the-titans-sequel/]

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
So he wasn't saying it was terrible, he was saying it was disappointing.

Honestly, I wasn't disappointed, I really never expected much beyond, fights, special effects and Liam Neeson, and they fullfiled all those requirements adequetly.

But a sequel sounds fun.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
I wouldn't say the remake was terrible. Good action scenes, some decent humour, servicable acting. It wasn't anything amazing, but it was a decent enough film. Plus, the music was fucking brilliant.

That said, a sequel does not need to be made, at all. Unless they actually bother putting some damn Titans in it this time. Bloody misleading title.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
i enjoyed it. people are too serious when it comes to entertainment. it was a good waste of 2 hours. also, all of my freinds liked it, it rented like hotcakes when it went to rental, and i didnt hear a single complaint about it.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Finally, that movie SUCKED!!!
I don't think it's stupid to promote the next one this way, it's tactical. Still, I won't see the new one.

SmileyBat

Jun 14, 2010
Ya damned right he should be sorry!

I'm somewhat impressed that he's actually able to take criticism and absorb it instead of deflecting. There's room to do another, Greece has no shortage of epic fantasies, but I don't know how much people are interested in Perseus.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
I think to have a successful sequel we need to actually know who the characters are and care about them. That is one thing the original did right, this new one (if I have to pick one compliment) really made the film fit in the 2 hour window they were shooting for.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
My only real problem with either of the movies is that I'm pretty sure the authors just read the Wikipedia article on Greek Mythology. I was alright with the movies (well the first one I couldn't finish, I fell asleep,) but it's too bad that we don't get more big screen classic treatments to some of our favorite stories. Such as, I'd much rather have something like Troy than Clash of the Titans, but with all the gods and goddesses thrown back in. Greek Mythology has some rich stories and most famous characters ever created (I mean, we're still talking about them!), there has to be some great movies in there.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That movie wasn't just bad, it was fucking boring.

Had they gotten Stephen Sommers to direct it, it might have been atleast entertaining.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
I thought it was entertaining. Maybe it wasn't high quality or anything, but as dumb popcorn movie I certainly thought it did its job well enough.

And yes, I'm serious.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
He's basically pulling a Peter Molyneux. If Fable 3 did well enough, then I would surmise people enjoy having kicked shins.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I like Sam Worthington (despite despising Avatar), and this only solidifies my like for him. Though I still haven't seen the movie, and I probably won't (you can't top the b-rate claymation fun-ness that was CotT 1981).

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
This is a good start for you Worthington. Now, are you going to apologize for your dreadful mess of a performance in Call of Duty: Black Ops?

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
Please don't tear me to pieces but.........I thought the movie was kinda good.

I prefer the original but this wasn't so bad in my opinion.....just needs less flash and more polish really.