DC Universe Online's Release Gets Retconned

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
DC Universe Online's Release Gets Retconned

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, wait, it's DC Universe Online! And it's coming out way sooner than we expected it to!

Sony just can't seem to make up its mind about when DC Universe Online is going to come out. The game was originally supposed to come out sometime this Fall, then was pushed back until this Spring, and now it's apparently coming out in about three weeks, thanks to an announcement from Amazon.

Gamers who pre-ordered the title on Amazon, however, received an email this morning stating that the game will actually be shipping out sooner than everyone expected - mid-January, in fact.

According to the message:

"We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on October 08 2010 (Order# XXXX). The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected based on the new release date."

<a href=http://www.amazon.com/DC-Universe-Online-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0K898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292866168&sr=8-1>Amazon has since officially revised the game's release date to January 11th. At the moment, Sony's staying pretty quiet on the matter, but Amazon is usually pretty good about this sort of thing. As a result, it seems like the game's release date change is about as official as it an be without an actual press release/announcement from the publisher.

Source: Massively

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
It's impossible that's its coming out in three weeks. I'm in beta and the game still has tons of things that need to be fixed along with letting players test areas other than gotham and metropolis. Hell, as it is now they've got us level capped at 20 so all the content between there and 30 has most assuredly not been beta tested. (and before you ask yes the intended cap must be 30 because that's the level they've got all the iconic armor sets at not to mention I have quests labeled for lvls 21 and 22 in my quest log)

I think Amazon has its date wrong because 3 week isn't nearly enough time to polish this game for release. If Sony intends to force DCU out the door in three weeks it's a guaranteed failure.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
This is going to be such a trainwreck. Coming out this soon after cataclysm? Are they crazy? They should wait till june when the WoW players have had their fill of the new expansion and are looking to play something new.

Tomtitan

Jun 7, 2010
What's this? A game's release date being pushed FORWARD?

This must be DC because I think we've entered Bizarro world!

(Seriously though, I highly doubt it)

spire23

Aug 3, 2007
I've played the beta, it's not as polished as one of these commenters would have you believe. There's a lot wrong with the UI, a lot of stuff that doesn't seem to work at all, and most of the quest scripts are messed up in one way or another. There's decent error handling (insofar as you don't break a lot of quests to the point of being incomplete), but it's just jury-rigging for beta (I hope).

Releasing early means they ran out of money and/or patience and need something on the books by the end of Q1.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Pretty awesome.

I don't like MMO's, I don't even have a computer strong enough to most of them, but it's always nice to see a date change that doesn't involve making the consumers wait.

Hyperleo

Oct 30, 2010
The game still needs work. I've been playing the Beta on the PS3 and the game has frozen after an hour or two. Not to mention the sound cutting out quite frequently. Then of course there is the fact that some of the AoE skills only hit the targeted enemy. In short, the game has some glaring problems that need to be fixed otherwise it will just fail right out of the gate. That would be a shame considering I was actually looking forward to playing this.

May 28, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
This is going to be such a trainwreck. Coming out this soon after cataclysm? Are they crazy? They should wait till june when the WoW players have had their fill of the new expansion and are looking to play something new.
I agree, what was SOE thinking.

I am playing the beta atm and think that it is a great game just poorly marketed. Definiatly gonna flop if it doesn't go free to play.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
o yes this is freaking sweet. cant wait to get my combo stringing hero going! Vindictus with Superheros man this is awesome!