Hydrophobia Gets Massive Fixes, New Price

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Hydrophobia Gets Massive Fixes, New Price

Only a few months after its troubled release, Hydrophobia is getting a major fix update, and its developer is reducing its price by a third.

When Hydrophobia was released to XBLA a couple of months ago, it was met with fairly mixed reviews, thanks in large part to its clunky control scheme (and a slew of other issues, too). Dark Energy Digital, the game's developer, <a href=http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/09/hydrophobia-developer-defends-game-attacks-critics.ars>was initially less-than-thrilled with the reviews and found itself mired in a bit of controversy as a result. However, it seems that the developer is now thinking with a clearer head and is releasing a massive patch that will fix a lot of issues, and is even reducing the price point of Hydrophobia.

The game is set to receive its major update, Hydrophobia Pure, tomorrow. As you can see in the patch's trailer, there's a lot of stuff that's being updated. Amidst the laundry list of things being updated, players can look forward to improved graphics, controls, and character AI.

Finally, the game's price is being dropped from 1200 MS Points to 800 when the update launches. Not only that, but the trial time with the game demo will be extended, and this update's various fixes will be applied to game's episodes that are planned in the future. Here's the complete list of fixes the patch will provide:

Hydrophobia Pure - Updates:

Graphics
Improved Graphics
Character dynamic self-shadowing
Enhanced lighting
Improved textures
Better water spray effects
Improved water reflection and refraction
Enhanced electricity effects
Environmental geometry tweaks
Additional video texture work

Physics
Physics Enhancements
Increased number of dynamic objects
More realistic character water resistance
Explosive forces re-balanced

Controls, Cameras, Animation
Overhauled Camera System
Camera positioned closer to character
Improved tracking of the action
Enhanced collision detection
Better FOV for framing the action
Improved Movement and Animations
More fluid and precise character control
Improved character animations add realism
Enhanced animation transitions make the character more weighty

Platforming and Climbing
All New Climbing System
Continuous hand-over-hand climbing system added
All new, more realistic animations
More fluid climbing controls and movement
Automatic ledge grab functionality
Improved swing mechanic
Improved jump-from-balance mechanic

Control Layout
Switch to a more traditional control layout
A to jump
LT to aim
RB to detonate enhanced Gel and Energy Rounds

Dialogue and Cutscenes
Dialogue Re-edit
Dialogue has been pruned
Irritating or extraneous lines cut
Cutscenes Re-edit
Cutscenes reviewed and edited
Overly long cutscenes shortened

Collectables
Collectables Interface Improved
Emails and E-Books no longer interrupt gameplay when collected
Collectables re-positioned throughout levels
Points awarded for collectables tweaked

New Waypoint System
Waypoints for every objective and sub objective
Choose permanent on-screen waypoints or new MAVI only mode
Waypoints added for Ciphers and Frequency Keys with colour coding
Corpses with Frequency Keys glow orange for easy identification

Map
Improved controls and button layout
Default view of Kate's position
Toggle Kate's position / objective location manually
Easier to navigate

Prompts
Prompts re-worked for better clarity
Prompt triggering reviewed and improved

Tutorials
Video tutorials cut back
Improved in game tutorials
New tutorial puzzles

Wading Improved
Enhanced physical character feedback from water forces
Improved transitions between wade states

Swimming Enhanced
Improved swimming controls, more finely balanced
180 degree swim turn removed
Improved camera behaviour when swimming
Underwater combat system streamlined

Puzzle Improvements
Improved feedback for Cipher and Frequency Keys
Ciphers re-positioned for greater accessibility
New mission orders related to Ciphers add to the backstory
Existing puzzles refined where possible
New electric puzzle elements added

Damage System Improved
Kate no longer unfairly damaged/killed by unseen elements
Fire/electrical damage reduced
Combat damage re-balanced

Overhauled Damage Feedback
Monochrome health feedback system implemented
Enhanced directional damage indication
Heartbeat force feedback and SFX added
Audio ducking system improves health feedback

All New Oxygen Feedback System
Oxygen bar added
Heartbeat force feedback and SFX added
Phobia effect for oxygen feedback enhanced
Phobia audio hallucinations added
FOV pulse added for drowning feedback
Phobia warping effect removed from non-submerged sections

Combat and Cover Systems
Overhauled Combat System
Automatic weapon holster/unholster system
Seamless integration of combat / non-combat systems
Improved aim reticule
Aim remapped to LT
Destructible objects highlighted more clearly
Destructible objects easier to hit
A greater supply of ammo throughout the levels
AI improved and enemies rebalanced
More enemies and more engaging combat design

Weapons Improved
Sonic Rounds overheat removed
Sonic Rounds charge time halved
Sonic Rounds do more damage to NPCs and are lethal
Multiple Gel and Energy Rounds can be deployed simultaneously
Deployed Gel/Energy rounds can be detonated as a group

All New Cover System
Smoother transitions in and out of cover
Easier and more intuitive to get in and out of cover
Toggle cover whether armed or unarmed
All new animations make cover system more realistic

Checkpoints and Reloading
Checkpoint positions reviewed and improved
More checkpoints
Automated and faster reload after death

Levels and Game Balance
Design Improvements
Vent behaviour improved
General level design tweaks
AI numbers and positioning improved
Ammo amount and placement improved
Collectable placement improved
Gameplay balance improved throughout

Source: Joystiq

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Looks ok, but in this day and age how can combat be made so clunky!!

I like the general look but it doesnt look like a release that should be at the end of 2010...

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
That is an absolutely massive list of alterations, fixes, and support. I almost feel like the game should be re-reviewed now.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Now this is a company that takes their game serious when they listen to the problems that needs to be tweaked. Not only did they fix the game, they dropped the price.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
If you were thinking about getting this game before and didn't, I'd say do it now!

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
This is interesting. I guess with DD being so widespread now, it's possible to drastically alter a game at its very basis, re-market it and give it another shot at success.

Shame on the developers for going after the reviewers though. I had only just read about that.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
I remember getting the demo for Hydrophobia, which had zero combat and was about running through some environmental hazards to escape the starting area. It had a few sections of platforming across broken pipes and some data file collectibles.

And that was it. I hadn't seen a working demo that showed so little of the game it was demoing in a very long time. :/ It would have done better as a screenshot gallery.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wow, I'm really impressed. That's a lot of work. I might buy the game now. The demo was useless and reviews were lukewarm, but that is a mighty list of improvements.

Toastngravy

Jan 19, 2009
Kross said:
I remember getting the demo for Hydrophobia, which had zero combat and was about running through some environmental hazards to escape the starting area. It had a few sections of platforming across broken pipes and some data file collectibles.

And that was it. I hadn't seen a working demo that showed so little of the game it was demoing in a very long time. :/ It would have done better as a screenshot gallery.
Heh. Well that is pretty much the entire first section. The game is split into three sections. The first is you just running around. Then you get a weapon eventually and continue with a little bit of combat. Then the last half is an "all hell breaks loose" with so many enemies I found it easier to just run past everyone to hit a check point and only kill who I needed.

That's the entire game.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's nice when a developer actually listens to legitimate complaints from the customer base. Good for them.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Mstrswrd said:
That is an absolutely massive list of alterations, fixes, and support. I almost feel like the game should be re-reviewed now.
Really. Better question; how did this mess get released in the first place? I mean, that is a not-insignificant list of issues to have in a game.

That said; it does seem like the company has decided to turn this around and I hope it pays off. If the game is good (and I may wait to hear a thing or two about it) then let's give it a fair shake. You may never get to make another first impression, but it's never too late to make amends.

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
mooncalf said:
If you were thinking about getting this game before and didn't, I'd say do it now!
That's what I was thinking.
The game looked interesting when I found out about it, and I figured I'd probably buy it.
Then came the reviews, and... I decided maybe I'd been a bit too enthusiastic before.
Now I feel like giving it a second... well, really first chance.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
OK, First off.. I don't own a console I play pc games.. so now you know what direction I speak from.

I don't know anything about the previous version.. had never heard anything about it til now, and tbh I'm not a big shooter fan anyway.

I just watched the vid and noted most of what they said has changed... from my point of view it all seemed aimed at making it 'easier'.. not neccessarily less clucky..just easier.

The controls were remapped to be more familiar to how it is on other games, rather than the player just learning the new control system..

Jump now auto-clings.. as opposed to what? a timed jump grab?

Climbing is easier :eek:.. don't know what that could mean unless that part really was clunky.

Weapons do more damage.. huh? more booms from bombs...this just points to an easier win to me, am I missing something?

All objectives are dangled in front of you.. that's just extreme handholding.. good grief.. no one like to puzzle it out any more? :/

Better cover mechanics?... from what was shown it just looks like you can now shoot from behind stuff and can't get hit...

and more and more... and these changes were made because the players wanted it?...

Again from what 'I' can make out, the dev has completely compromised the game they wanted to make and changed it into something for the quick fix, I don't want to die type of gamer.

OK, I've said I don't know how bad it was to begin with.. but now it just looks like an undemanding stroll in the park.

This is EXACTLY the type of game I WOULDN'T buy.. the older one sounds more attractive to me.

It seems a shame that gamers don't want challenging, or having to learn a new way of doing things any more.. it's not really good for game design if people don't want original, just more of the same.. ALL THE TIME.

All that being said...I still don't know enough to give a fully acceptable, even to me, opinion of the piece... but on the face of it I don't really like the sound of the way 'it would SEEM' that the dev has had to compromise and change the game to suit, rather than the gamer being willing to try something new.

And 'IF' my point has any validity... I'm not surprised the dev was screaming blue murder at the critics.. :eek:... :/

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Damn, these guys don't mess around.
And this is a download title, too.

Now you see this, other game developers, this is how it's done.
I played a little bit of Hydrophobia, and the game was kinda average, but I never got the impression that it wasn't a carefully worked on and tested game (coughNewVegascoughcough).
Sure it was an arcade game, so no one is really expecting perfection... but they went above and beyond.

I may actually have to get the game in full, just to support them. (The reduced price helps too)

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
THANK FUCK! this should have been done from the beginning. But I will take what I can get. I wanted to like the game when it first came out but I couldn't get over the horrible controls and annoying support character. Hopefully one of those will be fixed. But my biggest question is if the people who bought the game when it first came out will get a refund of some type. It doesn't really matter but it would be kind of nice.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
So they released half the game, suckered a bunch of people into a pay-for Beta and are now releasing the actual game at almost 50% off?

Edit: 100th post!

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
That has to be one of the most fully-featured free updates I've ever seen in a game, I give the new trial a try and maybe a purchase.

Only concern (assuming the issues are fixed) is the game length, how many hours does it clock?