Harrison Ford Apparently Jonesing to Kill Indy

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Harrison Ford Apparently Jonesing to Kill Indy

Ford wants Indiana Jones to die, George Lucas wants him to live, and Steven Spielberg hasn't made up his mind yet.

Insider sources are suggesting that Harrison Ford thinks that his second most iconic character, archaeologist/adventurer Indiana Jones, should not survive a fifth Indy movie.

Supposedly, Ford is keen that his character should pass his hat and whip on to a successor - likely to be the character of Mutt, portrayed by Shia LaBeouf - and then shuffle off his mortal coil. Lucas apparently hates the idea, and Spielberg is said to be considering it. Obviously this is just rumor, but Ford has said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105279-Han-Should-Have-Died-in-Return-of-the-Jedi-Says-Harrison-Ford] in the past that he wished Han Solo had died in Return of the Jedi, so there's no reason he couldn't say the same thing about Indiana Jones.

It won't be the first time Lucas has been reluctant to kill off one of Ford's characters either. Han was [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102759-Lucas-Cared-More-About-Toys-Says-Star-Wars-Producer] originally supposed to die in the middle of the movie, but Lucas wanted to preserve merchandising revenues, and so had the script rewritten to keep all the principle characters alive. It's not much of a stretch to imagine that his "Harrison-Ford-must-survive" policy extends to the Indiana Jones movies too.

The next Indiana Jones movie is supposedly set in the Bermuda Triangle, with LeBeouf as the movie's star. These are just more rumors though, so make as much or as little of them as you will.

Source: Showbiz Spy [http://www.showbizspy.com/article/221841/harrison-ford-no-more-indiana-jones-for-harrison-ford.html] via io9 [http://io9.com/5715304/harrison-ford-wants-indiana-jones-to-die]

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
LeBeouf as the star? There goes my ticket purchase and respect for the franchise.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Supposedly, Ford is keen that his character should pass his hat and whip on to a successor - likely to be the character of Mutt, portrayed by Shia LaBeouf - and then shuffle off his mortal coil.
Shia Labuttfuck? really? goddamnit I fucking hate you hollywood, you as well Lucas.

DemonicVixen

Oct 24, 2009
To be honest. I never liked the Indiana Jones movies, and i'd be unbothered if they were scrapped. Something about them was boring and not really my taste.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Ok, I haven't seen the first three Indy movies, but Crystal Skull was certainly below average. Killing characters is a good thing. It's surprising, it's emotional, leads to great character development (except the dead character). But either way, I probably won't see the next one. I do need to watch the first three sometime... I've been told by trusted friends that they are actually good.
Oh, and what is it with Ford hating all his characters? Honestly, it just isn't nice.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Can't we just kill of that LeBeouf guy and have a party over it? (like, on his grave) I hate that guy. Let's just do an adventure in wich Indiana sacrifices himself to save humanity, have 'mutt' die of in a freak fencing accident and have Lucas keep his hands off of the francise.

Maybe they can make teh movie around the story of this game; It fits in the trend set in by the latest movie (supernatural stuff) and also gives plenty of chances for indie to die.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Jones_and_the_Infernal_Machine

Also; Indiana can't die or age; he drank the fucking water of eternal life-thingy in the third movie. (like, the fuck)

Also (yes again) let's never ever ever use the kid in a movie ever again. please?

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
Heres an idea Lucas. Stop. Just Stop. Jesus Christ already. Bad enough you made the last trilogy for Star Wars and made a completely unnecessary Indiana Jones film but you want to do it again? Give it a rest man!!

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
brunothepig said:
Ok, I haven't seen the first three Indy movies, but Crystal Skull was certainly below average. Killing characters is a good thing. It's surprising, it's emotional, leads to great character development (except the dead character). But either way, I probably won't see the next one. I do need to watch the first three sometime... I've been told by trusted friends that they are actually good.
Oh, and what is it with Ford hating all his characters? Honestly, it just isn't nice.
The first three are miles better than Crystal Skull. I recommend you give at least Raiders of The Lost Ark a shot.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Is George Lucas obsessed with killing classics or has he just gone crazy? Seriously, when will it end. Also, Harrison Ford seems to like the idea of being killed off.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
But nobody likes Mutt. I like how this article reads by the way. 'Han was supposed to die(according to one douchebag so it must be true) but Lucas, being a greedy American capitalist, kept him alive.'

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
if this is true, y does Harrison Ford always whats the characters he is most famous for to die? XD He must really fear getting typed cast or something!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Kill him! But do it in a totally different movie that no one will expect.

Like in a random romantic comedy. And make it suicide!

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Han is supposed to die, Lucas changes his mind - because of merchandising.
Indiana wants to die, Lucas doesn't want him to - any guesses why? I'm going to go on a limb and say that Indiana Jones games based on someone else won't sell. Of course, I've long since been done with Indiana Jones, so however they want to drive a stake through his heart is fine with me.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
The next Indiana Jones movie is supposedly set in the Bermuda Triangle, with LeBeouf as the movie's star. These are just more rumors though, so make as much or as little of them as you will.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
The Jones TRILOGY was great but I witnessed something so horrible, so monumentally awful that led me to believe that if a fourth (No there isn't one. No chance. That one? Oh, that's what put me off the idea.) was to be made it would only perpetuate the idea that Lucas is only interested in money, not making good films.

Harrison is right, let it die.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
Fuck that. Indy can't die. How about he finds the fountain of youth in the newest movie. Digital young Indy a-la Jeff Bridges. Damn, I'm a genius.