Anime Review: Corpse Princess

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004

Whether you're looking for horror or action, you won't find it here.

Read Full Article

spartan1077

Aug 24, 2010
Good review, but I'm going to go against what you said and check it out. I hope it is at least mediocre in my eyes.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
I quite enjoyed the series personally. But then, I don't really seem to agree with this reviewer very often. I'd say if the trailer seems interesting to you, check it out. And, this probably doesn't help, given that the quality of the series is significantly different, but I'd compare the series to Speed Grapher. Not really sure why, but the darker elements combined with the way the stories paced is very similar to me. In fact, I just made the connection of a single powerful regret turning you into a monster versus a single powerful obsession. Definitely parallels to the two.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
darkcommanderq said:
What?! This was a great anime. Did you by chance watch dub and not sub?
He covered both:
"The dubs are painful, making the previously mentioned dialog all the worse. The Japanese audio doesn't seem much better, but is probably less grating on the ears for those of us who don't speak the language."

I watched it subbed and barely made it through the first season. Once I started in on the second season I only got through a handful before I gave up on it.

Personal preferences will vary, obviously, but if someone were to ask me if they should watch the series, I would unreservedly answer "no".

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
The easiest way to make a person do something is to tell them not to do it, so immediately after reading this review I went and watched an episode of Corpse Princess.

It was disappointing.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Eh. I Liked the series. It's on youtube as well, which is significant if you're in the UK rather than the US.

(funimation's website was supposed to work in the UK, but after a lot of messing about it no longer does, and it doesn't look like it's going to either. But... Funimation's youtube channel works just fine, and has most of the same content.)

Of course, I'm not known for having brilliant taste, so my recomendation doesn't mean much.

(well, except perhaps that if I say something is bad, it's probably really bad indeed.)

TakeFour

Aug 25, 2010
mindlesspuppet said:
Though, I wouldn't recommend anyone going out of their way to watch this, there's better stuff out there.
what better stuff? for horror/action type anime?

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
Why does this person bother to review anime? they always end up giving negative opinions that generally prove they didnt bother to actually watch the series all the way through and probably just watched a couple of random episodes then wrote it off as crap.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
broken-serenity said:
Why does this person bother to review anime? they always end up giving negative opinions that generally prove they didnt bother to actually watch the series all the way through and probably just watched a couple of random episodes then wrote it off as crap.
I don't agree with them either, and their reviews are mostly negative, but it seems pretty obvious the whole thing got watched. They just have different taste in anime. And I mean very different. Negative review for Hell Girl? Corpse Princess' dub is bad but Heat Guy J's is good? Yeah, much disagreement.

In fact, I pretty much ignored these reviews before, but I think I'll pay more attention to them from now on. The consistency of which I disagree with the reviewer should give me some insight into what I will and will not like.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
TakeFour said:
mindlesspuppet said:
Though, I wouldn't recommend anyone going out of their way to watch this, there's better stuff out there.
what better stuff? for horror/action type anime?
Well, first and foremost there's Hellsing, both the OVA (Hellsing Ultimate) and the TV series. Hellsing Ultimate might very well be the best blending of action and horror of any medium, not just anime/manga. The TV series is pretty solid but can't compare to the OVA.

Blood Trinity has great atmosphere, some awesome characters, and a pretty interesting story.

Blood+ is just a great all around series, has some amazing action.

Highschool of the Dead is worth giving a try, it's pretty run of the mill and bloated with fan service, but they do get zombies right.

There's also Dance in the Vampire Bund. I think it catches some hell because of people obsessing for/against lolis. Regardless, it's a pretty decent series.

Finally I have to toss Nightwalker: Midnight Detective out there. I really like this show, but I feel like I'm pretty much alone on that to be honest.

Side note: There's a Vampire Hunter D series in the planning, which with any luck will be awesome.

broken-serenity said:
Why does this person even bother to post comments? they're just proving they didn't actually read the full review and probably just read the summary line or glanced over a few sentences then wrote it off as crap.

seewhatididthere?

There's really no point in reviewing anything if you don't intend to be critical.

I loved El Cazador de la Bruja and poked holes in it the same I would any other series. I also liked Hell Girl a fair amount -- if for nothing else because of it's high production quality and style -- but liking a series doesn't automatically mean it's good, or more importantly, that anyone else will.

darkcommanderq said:
I watched both.

When I'm reviewing a series I watch it with dubs first. I do this because I find it's easier to determine the quality of the voice overs if you haven't already formed an impression on how the characters should sound. Of course one could say that watching the dubs first taints a series for when you watch with the Japanese audio, but I don't think that to be the case. As someone who doesn't speak Japanese, I can only give an opinion towards their quality through tone, pitch, etc.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Huh, i saw this in my local movie store and all i could think was that it looked like another Hot Girl killing things series.
And the box deception of the thing didn't change my mind either.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
mindlesspuppet said:

Read Full Article
Ya know, now I wish I had taken the time and effort to become the Anime reviewer for The Escapist. If only to give an objective opinion.

Personally I liked the hell out of it. Liked the art style, story, ok some of the characters need a touch of work but what anime doesn't?

Where you even paying attention when you watched it or did you just sit their bug eyed with your head up your patootie?

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Primus1985 said:
mindlesspuppet said:

Read Full Article
Ya know, now I wish I had taken the time and effort to become the Anime reviewer for The Escapist. If only to give an objective opinion.

Personally I liked the hell out of it. Liked the art style, story, ok some of the characters need a touch of work but what anime doesn't?

Where you even paying attention when you watched it or did you just sit their bug eyed with your head up your patootie?
Apparently if the opinion differs from yours, it's not objective, and you feel the need to insult the person giving it? Not a good stance to take here.

darkcommanderq

Sep 14, 2010
paulgruberman said:
darkcommanderq said:
He covered both:
"The dubs are painful, making the previously mentioned dialog all the worse. The Japanese audio doesn't seem much better, but is probably less grating on the ears for those of us who don't speak the language."

I watched it subbed and barely made it through the first season. Once I started in on the second season I only got through a handful before I gave up on it.

Personal preferences will vary, obviously, but if someone were to ask me if they should watch the series, I would unreservedly answer "no".
Do you even like anime...?

Honestly I feel like im reading a review of an action movie that got marked down because the plot wasnt good enough.

Some shows are what they are, Shikabane Hime, while not horror, is a good modern action show.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
darkcommanderq said:
paulgruberman said:
darkcommanderq said:
He covered both:

Honestly I feel like im reading a review of an action movie that got marked down because the plot wasnt good enough.

Some shows are what they are, Shikabane Hime, while not horror, is a good modern action show.
So if I don't like this show, I don't like anime? Can't handle a differing opinion, so attack the person, is that it?

If an action movie doesn't have a good plot, then is it not fine to point out the lack of plot so that people who want action movies with good plot don't waste their time?

You tell me, why is this a good "moden action show"? What parts of it are good?

darkcommanderq

Sep 14, 2010
paulgruberman said:
darkcommanderq said:
paulgruberman said:
darkcommanderq said:
He covered both:

So if I don't like this show, I don't like anime? Can't handle a differing opinion, so attack the person, is that it?

If an action movie doesn't have a good plot, then is it not fine to point out the lack of plot so that people who want action movies with good plot don't waste their time?

Yes you are correct, I got a bit out of line. I was more irritated at the reviewer than you when I wrote that. Its the fact that the reviewer didn't point out what WAS good about the show. All he did was say what it wasn't. Even if you dont like a show you should say who it would appeal to, not who it wont.

To continue with the action movie topic, why would you bother criticizing the plot of something that never had any intention of having one to begin with. If the movie had some intense action sequences that put the main character in danger, followed by a badass gun fight, put in your review, "if your looking for guns and explosions, this is your movie", rather than, "movie X has no sense of direction, and lacks all form of a cohesive plot". There is a great anime movie that is a good example for this. check out Strait Jacket. Its to short to really get into the back stories that they hint at throughout the show, but it has some of the best action sequences iv seen.

As for shikabane hime, it is modern in the sense that it takes place in present times. It is an action show in the sense that the main character fights in a sequence of "monster of the week" battles every episode. Its a zombie chick that wields duel ozies and kills other zombies. How is that not an action show.

This is a B quality anime. The world they craft is semi plausible (except the end makes no sense), The plot while not extraordinary at least exists and is enough for the show to coast on and keep it entertaining enough to watch both seasons.

Not every show can be trigun.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
darkcommanderq said:
paulgruberman said:
darkcommanderq said:
paulgruberman said:
darkcommanderq said:
He covered both:

Yes you are correct, I got a bit out of line. I was more irritated at the reviewer than you when I wrote that. Its the fact that the reviewer didn't point out what WAS good about the show. All he did was say what it wasn't. Even if you dont like a show you should say who it would appeal to, not who it wont.

To continue with the action movie topic, why would you bother criticizing the plot of something that never had any intention of having one to begin with. If the movie had some intense action sequences that put the main character in danger, followed by a badass gun fight, put in your review, "if your looking for guns and explosions, this is your movie", rather than, "movie X has no sense of direction, and lacks all form of a cohesive plot". There is a great anime movie that is a good example for this. check out Strait Jacket. Its to short to really get into the back stories that they hint at throughout the show, but it has some of the best action sequences iv seen.

As for shikabane hime, it is modern in the sense that it takes place in present times. It is an action show in the sense that the main character fights in a sequence of "monster of the week" battles every episode. Its a zombie chick that wields duel ozies and kills other zombies. How is that not an action show.

This is a B quality anime. The world they craft is semi plausible (except the end makes no sense), The plot while not extraordinary at least exists and is enough for the show to coast on and keep it entertaining enough to watch both seasons.

Not every show can be trigun.
The reviewer covered the action as 'ho hum', which would put it higher than I would. I found all but one of the fights pretty dull. I picked this series up looking for action and got bored.