Black Ops Breaks a Billion

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Black Ops Breaks a Billion

Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Pc/dp/B003JVF728/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292959890&sr=8-1] has racked up more than $1 billion in sales, hitting the milestone faster than any other game in history.

Say what you will about Treyarch [http://www.aqctivision.com] or Black Ops, but there's no denying that a billion dollars in sales is an impressive achievement; doing it in less than two months on the market is nothing short of amazing.

"In all of entertainment, only Call of Duty and Sledgehammer [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=avatar&x=0&y=0] that work tirelessly on the franchise."

The billion bucks isn't a huge surprise, given that Black Ops left its predecessor, Infinity Ward's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2-Pc/dp/B00269QLJ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292960372&sr=8-2], in the dust less than a week after launch, putting up $650 million in five days compared to MW2's $550 million. But Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said what really impresses him isn't the money but the time people are sinking into it. Microsoft reported that the average player goes online to play more than once a day and stays connected for more than an hour each time, adding up to more than 600 million hours spent on the game since it came out on November 9.

"Even more remarkable than the number of units sold is the number of hours people are playing the game together online which are unprecedented," he said. "Call of Duty is more than a game, it's a true community."

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
At first I thought it had sold a billion copies.

Then I would have been really impressed.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
That's pretty cool...

Can you lower the DLC price now please?

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
C95J said:
That's pretty cool...

Can you lower the DLC price now please?
Yeah seriously as a token of their appreciation they could lower the price.
That or actually make the next game on the PS3 so it doesn't look like shit compared to the 360 version.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I bought it. Don't really like it, other than ZOMBIESSSSSS!

Which, if my calculations are correct, is precisely why a solid chunk of people bought it.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I would be suprised, but aren't these records broken, like, once a year? It's not so awesome when you always know that next year someone else is going to take the title.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
It's nice to not be a sheep. Just yesterday I got Battlefield Bad Company 2. And I expect to have lots of fun with it. And somewhere in the world Bobby Kotick just got this itch that he just can't scratch.
Wolfram01 said:

Which, if my calculations are correct, is precisely why a solid chunk of people bought it.
That's gotta be the only reason really. But I can think of much better zombie-killers to get than this waste of money.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
And I bet when MW3 is released it will break Black Ops's record.

Still this is quite impressive. Well done Treyark.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
IamQ said:
I would be suprised, but aren't these records broken, like, once a year? It's not so awesome when you always know that next year someone else is going to take the title.
I take comfort in that fact as it shows that each year more people become gamers and fewer people are staying in the 19th century.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Wolfram01 said:

If I buy it, I'm buying it for Zork.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Wolfram01 said:

That's gotta be the only reason really. But I can think of much better zombie-killers to get than this waste of money.[/quote]

To be entirely honest, since buying it I've only played once... FUUUUUUUUUUU

Seriously tho, it's a tired genre for me. I'm pretty sick of regular FPS games. I only really got it because I have several friends with it on PS3.
samsonguy920" post="7.252262.9368536 said:
It's nice to not be a sheep. Just yesterday I got Battlefield Bad Company 2. And I expect to have lots of fun with it. And somewhere in the world Bobby Kotick just got this itch that he just can't scratch.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
I wasn't a huge fan of Black Ops, but I do believe the Call of Duty franchise as a whole is worthy of its popularity. As usual, this thread will be full of people who don't play Call of Duty declaring their dwindling confidence in humanity. WAAAAAAAH.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
now what is it again that sets this apart from the other cods? or other fps for that matter

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Well, sales do not necesarily mean it's a good game...

Maybe it means there are even more foolish people that actually buy it either because all your friends do it, so that you don't feel ostracized or whatever...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
And Christmas isn't even here yet...They still have a few more days for even more sales!