Lead Designer of Civilization V Calls It Quits

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Lead Designer of Civilization V Calls It Quits

The designer of Civilization V has left the company where Sid Meier works.

Based in Maryland, Firaxis has been making Civilization games since it was founded in 1996 by several staffers from MicroProse, including Sid Meier. The company has created some of the greatest strategy games ever including Alpha Centauri, Colonization and Pirates!. Even though most of these games bear Sid Meier's name, he acts more as a creative director and the lead design position is usually filled by a another person. On Civilization IV, the Lead Designer was Soren Johnson while Brian Reynolds designed Civ II and Alpha Centauri. The Lead Designer of Civilization V was Jon Shafer, a veteran of the modding community of Civ III even though he was only a teenager when that game was released. But today, a scant few months after he shipped Civ V, Shafer revealed that he has left Firaxis, the company that first hired him as an intern in 2005.

"I very much enjoyed my time Firaxis, worked on many projects that I've very proud of and got to know a lot of amazing people," Shafer said. "I'm appreciative of the opportunities provided by Firaxis and 2K, and hope to see (and play) more great games from them in the future."

It appears that the departure is amicable to both sides as Shafer made sure to say that he left willingly and was not fired or pushed out. Firaxis marketing director Kelley Gilmore said, "We are grateful for Jon's contributions to Firaxis and the Civilization franchise and wish him all the best in the future."

Shafer is still young, and it's often been said that the only way to get ahead in American society is to jump from company to company, but it seems odd for him to depart so soon after completing a successful project like Civ V. Will we see more innovative game design from Shafer at another firm? Will the Civilization V team continue to support the game with DLC and expansions?

The future is wide open for Shafer, but I'm not sure it's bright enough to wear shades.

Source: Flash of Steel [http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2010/12/21/jon-shafer-leaves-firaxis/]

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Well, good luck to ya' Jon!

Just try to avoid making any more games that eat away at my life, will you?

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
What does this mean for the Civ 5 expansions?!

Anyway, best of luck to him!
They might actually be good?

Honestly, I think Greg Tito here is a little nice when he calls civ 5 a successful project. That game has gotten more hate than any Sid Meier's Civilization game ever.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Zechnophobe said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Honestly, I think Greg Tito here is a little nice when he calls civ 5 a successful project. That game has gotten more hate than any Sid Meier's Civilization game ever.
really? I heard from reviewers to friends that the game is great.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Zechnophobe said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/938528-sid-meiers-civilization-v/reviews
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/sid-meiers-civilization-v

Hate. :D

Although a 7.1 rating on user scores means there must have been a bit of hate too

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Metacritic score says it all really. 9.0 From Professional Reviewers... 7.1 from actual players. You can almost always tell when a game has failed expectations when the user reviewers are so much lower than the professional ones.

I can understand why some people think it is a good game. And honestly, it isn't a stinker. But compared to the line of games before it, it compares fairly poorly.

I mean, Civ 5 even paid escapist to do that top 5 thing... and 4 top 5's down the road, and no one has even mentioned the game. It just isn't on par with the other titles, and that makes it somewhat depressing.

Feb 13, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Will the Civilization V team continue to support the game with DLC and expansions?
I'd be happier if they fixed some of the bugs, including the new ones that appeared since the mega-patch.

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
The people in this thread, they don't know that the hardcore Civ fans hate Civ V more than any other group of people out there.

Although the patch fixed a lot of the problems, the game is still too easy, the AI is still terrible and the UI sucks.

If any of you guys are doubters about how much hate this game gets, here's this article on the CivFanatics forums.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=404189

Apr 28, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Greg Tito said:
Will the Civilization V team continue to support the game with DLC and expansions?
I'd be happier if they fixed some of the bugs, including the new ones that appeared since the mega-patch.
Indeed. Like how now when I play for more then 10 minutes the game freezes.

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
I'm really liking Civilization 5, and most of the hate seems to come from veterans going ITS NOT CIV4 MURKADURK.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Zechnophobe said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Civ 3 got a hell of a lot of hate, as did Civ 4. When a player invests as much time into these games as they do, they tend to become attached to that version, and hate the change.

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
Supp said:
The people in this thread, they don't know that the hardcore Civ fans hate Civ V more than any other group of people out there.

Although the patch fixed a lot of the problems, the game is still too easy, the AI is still terrible and the UI sucks.

If any of you guys are doubters about how much hate this game gets, here's this article on the CivFanatics forums.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=404189
Forums are a place of hate, never of love. Most people that love the game play it instead of complaining on the forums.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Supp said:
That must mean it's really good. Because in my experience, the more hardcore fans hate something, the better it is. Just look at Splinter Cell Conviction.

I feel this picture is appropriate:
[http://img17.imageshack.us/i/rpgworldcomplainingfan.jpg/]

Deepnfunky

Jan 23, 2011
lomylithruldor said:
Supp said:
Forums are a place of hate, never of love. Most people that love the game play it instead of complaining on the forums.
I love the game. I play the game. The game is great. Shame the AI is too stupid to play it.